Best pivot for ease of maintenance

Any of the Spydero Salt line. Like others have said, they're made to do exactly what you are wanting to do.

Google folding fillet knives, Buck makes them, I have a old Gerber that is awesome, back when Gerber was good.

This is the one I have but in black
https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/...-knife_1_b22e09731ef221f01a31e22aca626799.jpg

edit: scrap trying to find one of these cheap
Holy cow, just checked if there were any on ebay, one on there with bids to almost $140 with 4 days still left. I had no idea those were that sought after. I do think Myerco makes a similar one, Myerco Blackie Collins folding fillet knife, around $15.

Thank you all. I will do research with what I got. I will most likely go with Spyderco Salt, the smallest one Dragonfly.

Thank you all. I will do research with what I got. I will most likely go with Spyderco Salt, the smallest one Dragonfly.
Wherever you get it from, make sure it's the newest version. It'll have the bi-directional grip and torx screws at the pivot and on the body.

Wherever you get it from, make sure it's the newest version. It'll have the bi-directional grip and torx screws at the pivot and on the body.
Wow thank you. I did not know. Saved me some trouble! Very helpful.

The dragonfly is pretty small for cutting fishies. Unless they're small..

Hell, any knife that doesn't require a special pivot tool (Hinderer, Strider to name a few)is pretty damn easy to maintain.

Hell, any knife that doesn't require a special pivot tool (Hinderer, Strider to name a few)is pretty damn easy to maintain.
Good point wasn't even thinking about proprietary hardware that would be something to avoid unless you want to pick up the tool for it if it can be easily found.

Hello,

What type of pivot system (not sure of terminology) would require least amount of maintenance while keeping it as smooth as possible?

I know that if abused too much, any folder would degrade into being crappy.

I need a folding knife for gutting fish & bait cutting. I do not want a fixed blade with sheath for this.

I used a CRKT crossbones and the action became horrible.. and the IKBS was a pain to clean.

I also tried using RAT 1 in D2 and it got rusty.. and sticky action.

Anyone have a good general fishing knife, that you can open/close with one hand? If not I can research on my own... but any help on what type of washer/bearing are easiest to maintain (preferably never maintain) and still keep it decently operating would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hawk MUDD. He has a sealed pivot

I know you said no fixed blades. But you oughta pick up a CRKT M.U.K. while there are still a few around. If you want a folding fillet knife, Buck and Rapala both make 'em. And they are not expensive. For under $20, I'd try a Rapala first, based on my experience with their wood handled fixed blade filet knives. If you want a more conventional locking folder, something in low-medium end stainless, on washers, with an open back.

E8D4CB9D-7AD0-43B8-9C9B-89B46EE64869.jpeg The old Buck Selector is out of production, but they show up on the bay. The blade can be removed for rinsing the pivot. A drop of oil can be placed on the pivot bushing through the slot in the blade.

What about the CRKT Field Strip knife, no tools required to take it apart.

A victorinox... The official cleaning instructions are to rinse under warm water, let it dry and re apply oil.

Spyderco Salt series. Every part of the knife, including the pivot, is made to withstand wet, salty, dirty environments. The blade is practically impervious to corrosion. The only time I remember seeing one getting damaged was when it was left overnight, wet, on a block of pool chlorine. The newer ones can be disassembled (although I strongly advise against it unless absolutely necessary), and with the adjustable pivot you can loosen it up and flush anything that might get in there.

The Spyderco backlocks are easy enough to close 1 handed. Hold the knife at the top of the handle, unlock it, then drop the blade down so the ricasso hits your finger, then wrist-flick it closed the rest of the way. I've been carrying a Salt of some kind since they were introduced. Great knives.

Exactly, our fellow BF member:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/pacific-salt-glamour-shots-with-400-lb-goliath-grouper.1539423/

Back