Best/Sharpest double edged razor blade discussion

Just thought that maybe this would be a good thread for those just crossing over to or back to double edged razors & save some people some money. :thumbup:

So, what say you seasoned vetrans of the Double Edged ??????????????????????

Last edited:
There is no one "best" razor/blade for everyone, because what works for one person may not work for the next. When it comes down to the sharpest the undisputed king of sharp are Feathers. They put a whole new meaning to the term scary sharp and will cut through the toughest beard with out breaking a sweat. Unfortunately for some people, like myself, that can cause some bad irritation. I can only use a Feather blade in the mildest of razors.

My personal favorite combo is a Israeli Persona Reds in a Gillette New Standard razor. Sharp enough blade to cut through my tough beard, and an aggressive enough razor to give a close shave. Now that is what works for me, and if 20 people answer this thread you should get almost as many different combos as being the best:p

It takes time to figure out what combination works best, and the possibilities are endless. After many years of shaving with a Sensor Excel, and not knowing any better, thinking razor burn was normal and natural, a friend gifted me an old Gillette flare-tip Super Speed; asked me to try it and it changed my shaving experience. Half a dozen razors later and happy as is, I also use Israeli Reds BTW - and have found they're perfect for me as well, but it took a lot of trial and error with different blades from sample packs (recommended) to find the easy route. I own a couple of Merkurs (Progress and 180) and the others are Gillettes (Slim adjustable, three Super Speeds and a long comb New) and find with practice all work well, just differently.

My advice is to find yourself a routine and stick to it, practice makes all the difference, and you will save money buying DE blades instead of the more expensive multi-blade cartridges. I get weeks out of my Reds instead of mere days with the Excel cartridges. Your milage may vary. Hope this helps! :)

Everyone says that the Feathers are the sharpest. truthfully I can't tell they are any sharper than some of the other Brands. Heck I'd even say Astras are pretty darn close to being as sharp if not as sharp. Now there are duller blades that is for sure like the Wilkinson from Walmart and the other blades I have found locally. Best for me ends upp being Astra as I got them in bulk at a great price. I also haven't minded my Derbies that I got 3 years ago, they aren't as sharp as some of the others but do give a pretty good shave.

I like Feather, but I only get four shaves consistently from one. BIC Chrome Platimums are almost as good, half the price, and I get six or eight shaves from one. Derbys are very good too.

I've gotten good shaves from USA made Personna blades and Feather blades and I've found both to be sharp. I've also found these blades to give razor burn yet cut whiskers well. After stropping they get buttery smooth and only slight razor burn. To me a sharp blade is only part of the equation, a blade needs to give a smooth shave as well. Not leaving your face feeling like you have second degree burns. DM

One of the joys of DE is the ability to find the blade that works well for you.

By the way, Feather Razor Company does make what are generally considered the sharpest blades in the world, the blades used to slice the "flap" in laser eye surgery. The quality of this cut is critically-important. Of course, those blades are not the same as their DE shaving blades. But, it is indicative of the company's abilities in blade production.

I am told that many surgeons prefer Feather brand scalpel blades for their most-critical cuts.

But, as Mr. Martin points out, sharpness is not the only measure of quality for a shaving blade.

I suggest trying an assortment of blades to find a few that work well for you.

I must have wimpy whiskers then. I am still on the same blade. Yes the same first blade. I think it has been a month or so. I get a great shave. But am always looking for input on what works for others the best. Thanks for the replies & keep them coming please.

I picked up a 40s Superspeed recently and have been working through a mix of blades (Feather, Derby, Shark, Astra & Persona)

So far the Astra SPs and Persona Reds have been the smoothest shaving of the bunch for me.

Make sure you sample a bunch from each manufacturer. I have found more variation WITHIN a brand than BETWEEN brands. I'll put in a blade that feels like it's been used for a year, throw it away, and put in the next blade that shaves perfectly 5 or 6 times. I have had this with ALL brands, although I find the higher end ones have less stinkers than the cheaper ones.

I bought a 100 pack (or so) of Astra years ago, and am still working on that. I'll probably buy whatever I can get the best deal on next.

Buy a sampler from east coast or west coast shaving. I tried about a dozen kinds. Feather are the best I've used. Incredibly smooth, get about 4 shaves each. I ordered 200 from ebay for about $73. Yes they are pricey but I get no irritation and I use about 20 blades per year. I use them in a merkur 38c.

Make sure you sample a bunch from each manufacturer. I have found more variation WITHIN a brand than BETWEEN brands. I'll put in a blade that feels like it's been used for a year, throw it away, and put in the next blade that shaves perfectly 5 or 6 times. I have had this with ALL brands, although I find the higher end ones have less stinkers than the cheaper ones.

Yes, well put I've seen this too. DM

I would have to second Feathers, though my experience is a bit limited, I've only ever used Feathers and Wilkinson Swords.

Absolutely correct that you should not judge a brand of blades based on one shave with one blade.

For my face, Feathers require the most care, but give the best first pass shave. My current daily is the Bic chrome platinum, which I generally replace weekly, so 6-7 shaves. I can stretch them longer, but I find that I acclimate to how bad the shave is getting, and they are cheap enough to do weekly. I've also liked astras, but just never got into them from a value point of view. I'm thinking of switching to gillette 7oclock platinums (blue), I found they give a very smooth shave as well.

I use a Gillette 3 piece tech open comb. Thats pretty much all I've used, as I found that the couple of bar razors didn't work all that well for me. But that was at the beginning, might be time for a revisit.

If you get razor burn, try using a high quality shaving oil prior to your soap or cream lather. I use the Feather blades with a custom razor from iKON. Can't remember the last cut or razor burn I have had with this combination... and I have been shaving with them for a long time.

This summer I switched from those (overpriced) Gillette cartridges with 5 blades to a Feather All Stainless with Feather blades and it was like a whole new world. I honestly had no idea that shaving didn't have to hurt. With the Feather setup I don't even feel it; it's so soft but shaves so amazingly well. I will never go back.

The only thing I'm looking at now is shaving creams and soaps. I still use the goop from the can, but I figure I should give some quality product a try at some point.

Do whatever works best for you. Some like oils, some like goop, some like creams and soaps. Everyone's beard is different. Lot's of people swear by a brand, I honestly cannot tell much (if any) of a difference, so it only makes sense for me to go with a cheaper brand. If you can tell a difference, then go with what works best for you.

Don't be afraid to go with the results rather than what "should work". There is a lot of myth in shaving, sometimes it is well founded, sometimes not. Getting a BBS (baby butt smooth) shave is the goal, whatever gets you there is good.

Back