Recommendation? Best Sprint Runs?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by cbrstar, Nov 22, 2018.

1. cbrstar

cbrstar Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    I've been trying to learn and catch up on past Spyderco models. But what I can't seem to find is any info on sprint runs.

When did they start?

How many are there out there?

What your guys personal favorites?

Are there some harder to find then others?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  2. ric75

ric75

Jun 2, 2017
    Hello.

I would look into the catalogues.

Normally 1200 pieces are made per sprint.

This years e.g. Rex45 military, PM2, para 3.

cbrstar likes this.
  3. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Knifeworks peel ply cf and M4 pm2 is undoubtedly the best. I don't care what trends are happening at the time.

4. cbrstar

Sep 7, 2015
    Is there somewhere you can look at past catalogues online?

I fluked out and was able to buy the knife works cf ti military used. I love that knife. I've seen M4 PM2's mentioned here before but I need to read up on M4.

Mo2 likes this.
  5. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    cruwear and M4 are two steels everyone should try. They are not stainless but not really an issue if you keep dry and oil the blade. A little patina never hurt anyone either. I prefer these steels for edge stability. They also have pretty good edge retention and don't chip out as easily as more stainless steels can.

I noticed people buy these sprint run knives to collect and inflation of the prices afterwords... These are made for users imho. Kinda annoying. It also sucks people will pay 3-400 for a pm2 sprint lol.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Mr.SATism and cbrstar like this.
  6. Megawatt308

Megawatt308

Dec 15, 2013
    Rule 1. Sprint run = if you run across one avaliable don’t think, just buy it.

Rule 2. If you don’t follow rule #1, you get to spend lots of time searching all your bookmarks everyday trying to find one at double+ the original asking price. Then, when you find one on the secondary market you might find yourself thanking some stranger for gouging you on the price because you HAD TO HAVE IT.

7. Sharp Guy

Sharp Guy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Filoso, cbrstar and ric75 like this.
  8. inkynate

inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    Iirc, the gray vg10 Calypso Jr was the first release officially called a "sprint," but other limited/low-volume variants existed before it.

9. willywall

willywall

Jun 21, 2016
    Too many good ones to narrow down to just a few. I do really like the gray and black 52100 Mannix 2 tho. Great version and the Hap40 Delica wharncliffe has gotten a bunch of pocket time. Good luck with your research, your wallet is going to hate you

dc50 likes this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango

Jun 10, 2012
    I think the Super Blue Caly 3.5 was my favorite sprint of all time.

dc50 likes this.
  11. Megawatt308

Megawatt308

Dec 15, 2013
    Not sure if you know/care about the dealer exclusives or just wanted to ask specifically about sprint runs only. But I think the blade HQ dealer exclusive is a favorite of mine, DLC, unique scales and awesome M4 steel.

[​IMG]

cbrstar likes this.
  12. majen

majen

Dec 6, 2008
    REX 45 Great steel nice orange g10 :thumbsup:

Cypress and cbrstar like this.
  13. cbrstar

Sep 7, 2015
  14. Arnikusz

Arnikusz

May 13, 2015
    For me Police 4 if get out

15. FK

FK Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    I like the Rex 45 series,,, Para 3, PM2 and Military.
    Tough steel with great edge holding.

FK

Cypress and cbrstar like this.
  16. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Manix CF Cruwear sprint, and the older bolster Damascus sprint of the caly3 are a couple favorites that come to mind.

cbrstar likes this.
  17. cbrstar

Sep 7, 2015
    I just saw a Spyderco the other night at the knife store and I'm wondering if its a Sprint run?

It's a Alcyone but the handle isn't dyed it's just clear. All the pics I've seen of them have grey handles.

18. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    HAP 40/SUS 410 are plain awesome.

19. cbrstar

Sep 7, 2015
    Sorry to reply to myself but I asked the same question on the Spyderco Forum, and Sal said it's either a knock off or a modification. If I have time I will take another look just to make sure I didn't get it mixed up with another model by accident.

20. John_0917

John_0917 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    These days guys will offer you immoral acts for Cruwear PM2s and anything Super Blue.

I personally like the VToku series, it performs well, isn’t too expensive and as long as you have half common sense about it the rust isn’t too common.

Wish they would get the Stretch out already!