Best Tactical Tomahawk

Ive been looking over my collection and useally the first thing I useally grab is an axe or a hachet when I what to get some serrious chopping down I guess its my inner viking coming out lol, but I need a serrious upgrade so What kind of Tomahawk would be best for me? I perfer a more tactical look, multi purpose, and is at all possible a frankinsh/Norse type blade. I've been considering some ideas from Cold Steel, Ontario, and Also Condor. But I was wondering if anyone else has some ideas?

SOG F01T Tactical Tomahawk is the best one I had used.

What you plan to do with it needs spelling out. There are very specific reasons different tools have different shapes, and while they can be versatile and get a lot done, they can also be frustratingly limited by that shape, too.

When you have an idea of what the tool does, then off the wall suggestions from fanboys sort out quickly. It's like asking for a breaching hawk and getting the usual "my Estwing carpenters hatchet can do all that and it has a hammer head and nail puller, too!" No, it can't - when you need a rolling head pry bar action, you can't use a short handled hammer poll hatchet. Tools have specific shapes for specific tasks.

Then you get into how much you really want to pay for it. Would some of us love to have an RMJ Shrike, sure. For the difference between that and a $60 hawk, tho, I could buy two or three ESEE knives. If I was on duty and in combat where I needed it, the Shrike would be #1. At home, with other responsibilities, plus other tools at hand, not so much.

List out the tasks, then sort out what specific features you need to do those tasks. If you need to pry, you need a spike, if you aren't trying to literally poke holes in things, then it can be square profiled with no sharp point (to bend or break off. Hmm.) If you need to pull a nail, ok, can it be done with the other end of the handle? Some hawks do that. Chopping wood more than metal doors, etc. Long straight handle for leverage vs. short for portability. Go too short, and it's really a hatchet, not a hawk. You lose the leverage and impact of a longer swing, which means the head can be lighter for the same affect - and less work carrying all day.

Once all that is listed, then you look for a hawk that has it, or, can be made to. One of the fun things to do is modify a tool to your liking - I've already ground off the tipped up bit on my Condor, it rolls better levering now, and removed the paracord for a better fit. It's less problem than butchering up a high end hawk to lose resale value, which some consider important. Goes to why they are really looking for one, it's more show than tool.

Get an idea of your tasks, what features you need to do those tasks, then go shopping, and don't just grab the first cool one that comes along. Stick to your list, and you have the better tool, albeit not always the one that everybody thinks is cool this week. It will be something else next week, anyway, and you will still be using a good hawk then, too.

you know ive been wanting a full tang hawk after ive played around with two sogs and a m48,just couldn't afford what I wanted but I found/don't laugh, m tech, jeep, full tang mtx-3 its 3/16 thick, has weights that bolt on the head,its not the one with the welded head,all one piece,its only 440 steel but after I seen a youtube video on it chopping,found them in town ,25.00 at uncle sams.i figured what the heck,i have other stainless blades I have put through the ringer before. it will do for now. I know for the money ive spent on all the cheapies,i could have bought a nicer one by now. it has good reviews on amazon, also what I thought were weights are hammer plates bolted to both sides of the head, rough face like a finish hammer. the guy on youtube took them off, im leavin em on, hard steel..

Last edited:
Thanks, shaw11b! I've been meaning to send you a message seeing how the 'hawk's been doing for you.

It's been a longer time getting everything fully rolling on producing these than I had anticipated, but I'm about to be working on the next batch of them. Hopefully after that, I can be more timely since all the logistics will have been worked out.

Demko 'hawks are awesome!! I've owned a Winkler and it is top-notch as well......just love Andrew's work.

I just got my Fehrman Knives nessmuk and was extremely pleased at the quality, fit and finish of this small double hatchet. The handle is somewhat short, but it's what I wanted for the purpose I will use it for. The steel is absolutely beautiful and the kydex sheath holds the head perfectly. I am MUCHO pleased with it!

What I posted in another thread: Do everything Hawk, huh?? VTAC Lagana. It's the most portable one I have. It's just always there. And bombproof. And swings like a dream- I KNOW I can dance with it if I had to in a hairy situation. See, I never understood the whole processing wood thing, even in winter camping. I cut very little timber out of necessity in the woods. I just pick it up off the ground or break it open with my foot. And if not immediatly available, I walk around abit and find it. And if I REALLY need wood(building a semi-permanent base camp) I use a saw. My knife does everything else I need for camping. I frankly carry a hawk more for a defensive tool and general purpose smasher/chopper than a "wood processor" which as I said I never understood. Defending my life, I understand, even if a one in a million chance. A VTAC is life insurance policy one hopes never to use. Ps-, in the lagana sheath, I've placed a bird trout knife, a small flint and steel, a small fishing kit and small lighter, all hidden discretely. Everything but the knife fits under the plastic where the spike rests and is held in place by tape. So a little back up survival kit if all I have is my Hawk and sheath :)

I'd like to add I really dig helmforge's stuff and swamp rat tomahawk that is the more rounded one. Both seem like do-everything hawks. Only issue I have with any of these other hawks is, unless you are a soldier in battle, are you really gonna hump that steel on some serious mileage or is it a "back of the pickup" kinda hawk? which kinda makes no sense as if you have a vehical then carry a 50 dollar full sized axe, woodcraft one or fireaxe for breaching, which would crush these hawks.

you know what would be the bee's knees? if VTAC was offered with a 16 inch poll. THAT would be the shizznit in perfection of reach, weight, power, etc.

you know what would be the bee's knees? if VTAC was offered with a 16 inch poll. THAT would be the shizznit in perfection of reach, weight, power, etc.

The poll is the end opposite the edge. The haft is the handle. It's not a pole...

Scouter27- thanks for your amazing expertise, but whatever: the handle. You know what I meant. Thanks for the correction but not the tone... (see how those little dot dot dots don't help the tone?).

So back on track- wouldn't it be the bee's knees for a VTAC with a 16 inch HANDLE?

just picked up the book''TOMAHAWKS -TRADITIONAL to TACTICAL by DAVID GRANT. really great book w/lots of photos and descriptions of all different hawks.
I use/carry a SOG tactical but would love a LAGANA and have my sights on one for Christmas.

I can't see tone, but I'll keep trying. I only knew what you meant because a 16" spike on the back of the VTAC would be ridiculous. You used the wrong term, I was trying to help you out. Don't worry, I won't let that happen again.

I have a LaGana style head (cold steel) but on a 4' Equinox Coronado haft. I keep thinking about hacking it down to about 24-30", But for the size of the head, I can't see going much shorter than that. However, the way I have become accustomed to using a hawk, it would function as about 16" (at 24") from my hand up, and the rest below.

Only issue I have with any of these other hawks is, unless you are a soldier in battle, are you really gonna hump that steel on some serious mileage or is it a "back of the pickup" kinda hawk?

Just wanted to comment that the weight difference between the VTAC and my 12" 'hawks is 9 ounces, a smidge over half a pound. Not that much addition to your overall gear weight. The other design considerations are a bigger factor, I would say. I've owned a VTAC and it's a stout piece of gear, but it's aimed at a different set of needs than mine are.

scouter27- Fair enough on first part. As for tomahawk part: yeah I hear you- it is more a general comment on how I wished the company that makes VTAC gave us some of those nylon handles in different lengths.

Storm Crow- I drool over your hawks. If I had the cash I would get it. your price point, quality, look, size etc, all make sense to me even over the other uber-perfect supposed best-of-the-best hawks out there. If I needed something stouter, yours would be the ticket other than a swamprat hawk I have seen with a rounder looking head. I cannot justify 600 dollars for something like an RMS even though they are pretty looking and I am sure performace well- but SO MUCH BETTER than others? I don't know... As for weight: for something that stays in it's sheath most of the time I am eating up miles on a weekend of hiking, I'd rather the smaller lighter weight thingy. How many times have our super steel big beaters stayed at home when doing serious camping because of weight? Lots' for me. When I bushwhack with a car and a keg of eber and friends and we are 200 feet from the trail head then hell yeah I bring out the big guns. If it means anything to you- I have extremely high regard for your work for something I haven't yet handled. I hope we can do business one day soon so I can see for myself :)

Storm crow: points I like about your hawks- they are utilitarian, not pimp. They don't look like something out of a videogame, they look like tools, real use tools. Winkler axes look like real tools too to me. Also, yours tend to have more belly than other folks, so the bit looks more like a do everything kinda of hawk that I am used to.

Back