Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Yesterday's beverage of choice was the Leinie Summer Shandy, one of my favorites.... along with some brisket and my modded GEC 71.... I did not use it to slice the brisket... that thing started out at 17 pounds... a little too thick for the 71.

Id8Aw9.jpg

Not starting early...:eek::D but from previous night.

Been interested in drinking Gimlets recently, seems like it's an old fashioned dated drink that's fallen out of favour...but not with me;) One part fresh squeezed Lime juice, 1 part Rose's Lime Juice cordial 2 parts Gin shaken. Very sharp and sweet you can 'lengthen' it by adding Tonicwater and a slice of Lime, ice cubes, which makes a very nice variant on ordinary G&T .

Another benefit? Slicing Limes has really given a fine patina to this CASE Amber Bone Med.Stockman :cool:

h30s7AM.jpg

Not starting early...:eek::D but from previous night.

Been interested in drinking Gimlets recently, seems like it's an old fashioned dated drink that's fallen out of favour...but not with me;) One part fresh squeezed Lime juice, 1 part Rose's Lime Juice cordial 2 parts Gin shaken. Very sharp and sweet you can 'lengthen' it by adding Tonicwater and a slice of Lime, ice cubes, which makes a very nice variant on ordinary G&T .

Another benefit? Slicing Limes has really given a fine patina to this CASE Amber Bone Med.Stockman :cool:

h30s7AM.jpg
A win win! :D

As best I can remember, this is my first time sampling an Islay Single Malt Scotch. Oh my! What a ride! I have never tasted anything quite like this before yet the aroma seems very familiar. Maybe like one of the Latakia-rich pipe tobaccos I used to smoke. It is smoky, smoky, smoky!

I'm not sure what I think of this just yet but for me, it is unlike anything I've ever had before. Except maybe that pipe tobacco. I'm very anxious to see what my opinion is in a few weeks when the bottle's all gone. Down the hatch!

Lagavulin.jpg

Edit: I forgot to put a knife in the picture.:p
IMG_5814.JPG

As best I can remember, this is my first time sampling an Islay Single Malt Scotch. Oh my! What a ride! I have never tasted anything quite like this before yet the aroma seems very familiar. Maybe like one of the Latakia-rich pipe tobaccos I used to smoke. It is smoky, smoky, smoky!

I'm not sure what I think of this just yet but for me, it is unlike anything I've ever had before. Except maybe that pipe tobacco. I'm very anxious to see what my opinion is in a few weeks when the bottle's all gone. Down the hatch!

View attachment 1530303

View attachment 1530304
Lagavullin is really nice, but a little too heady for me, except for special occasions. I've recently been nudged into trying Caol Ila, another Islay single malt. It is by far the best Islay I've tried.
I've not seen that bottle from Lagavullin... is it a special type of 16, or is my memory just less than perfect? I think I already know the answer to that question...:oops:

View attachment 1530303

View attachment 1530304

That’s my favorite whisky. It was also the first Islay whisky I ever tried, and I thought the exact same thing — English pipe tobacco. :thumbsup:

Lagavullin is really nice, but a little too heady for me, except for special occasions. I've recently been nudged into trying Caol Ila, another Islay single malt. It is by far the best Islay I've tried.
I've not seen that bottle from Lagavullin... is it a special type of 16, or is my memory just less than perfect? I think I already know the answer to that question...:oops:

That’s one I’ve been meaning to try.

Edited to add an on-topic photo.

Fp6i7o0.jpg

Lag 16 is wonderful juice . . . the only other Scotch I prefer is Laphroaig 18 year old, but we can't get that expression any longer.

Caol Ila was the one I was looking for but I couldn't find it around here. Your comments and others made me want to try it and I still want to if I can ever find it.

I'm not sure about the Lagavulin bottle but it looks like the bottles in all of the pictures I've seen.

That’s my favorite whisky. It was also the first Islay whisky I ever tried, and I thought the exact same thing — English pipe tobacco. :thumbsup:
It was your comments in this thread that made me want to try Lagavulin 16 since I couldn't find Caol Ila. The pipe blend that I used to smoke was a Cornell & Diehl blend called Pirate Kake. If I remember correctly, it's about 80% Latakia with a little Burley tossed in.

When I poured my first glass of Lag 16 the aroma was very familiar. I couldn't quite put my finger on it so I asked my wife to smell it. She took one whiff and said "That smells like that nasty pipe tobacco you used to smoke". Then it all came back to me.

Lag 16 is wonderful juice . . . the only other Scotch I prefer is Laphroaig 18 year old, but we can't get that expression any longer.
It's so much different than anything I've ever tried that I'm not sure what I think of it. I read the reviews but finding out how smoky it actually is was quite a shock to my senses. I think I'm going to develop an acquired taste for it because I already find myself thinking about it and looking forward to the next glass.

Back