Beware of the man with one knife...

In the back of my brain, I have been thinging of something for a while. Then, a trip to the book store made me want to post about it. I read a part of an article by Ayoob entitled, "Beware of the man with one gun." The idea is that those who use one piece of gear, use that piece of gear A LOT. They know it inside and out. It becomes an extension of themselves. And, this can overcome any deficiencies that may exist in the gear.

A case in point is the current Khukuri/Bowie/Smatchet thread. Many have chimed in that the bowie is best, as you can chip, cut and thrust with it and you can back cut too. Well, says I, that is true, but only if you are trained. A Ghurka who has been using a khukuri all his or her life would be able to kick my bitt, even if I were armed with a bowie! I'd back cut, the Ghurka would do a "pass" move and chop my exposed arm off. Hmm... so much for the back cut. So, then I might think, heck, I ought to get a khukuri then! And when James Keating bumbs me in an alley, I could pull out my khukuri and chop his arm off! Well, I could try, but I bet he'd use foot work to evade my chop and maybe he'd back cut my throat open.

My point is that training is probably more important that gear choice. And, we can't really separate which knife to get without talking about training.

I'm not just talking about fighting too. I'm talking about EDC chores, caming, and so on too. I used to think that the Spyderhole is best for opening devices on folders. THen I got a folder with a thumb stud and carried it all day. I then thought thumb studs were fastest. Now that I lost my thumb stud folder (GRRR), I am back with my AFCK. I can open it up super fast. A little use and getting to know your gear goes a long way. A whole LOT of using one piece of gear goes A TREMEANDOUSLY LONG way. I probably wouldn't want to chop down a tree with a Kabar. Wound I need to go out and buy a Busse fir chopping? Well, I could. But I could also place my left hand on the back of the spine and "shave" or "push cut" chunks off of the tree and fell it that way.

We are knife nuts, and I am not saying that we shoudl stop buying all these knives that we do! But, there is something to be said about really getting to know the gear you have.

What do you think?

Crayola,don't take this the wrong way but this is an Apples to Oranges comparison.I know from previous experience with Mass Ayoob that it takes 3,000 repetitions to have a drill ingrained into Your subconscious mind.With a Firearm each and every minor movement could be the deciding factor in winning or losing a Gun Fight.A knife is a contact weapon and it has been written that it takes far much less Fine Motor Skill to deploy a knife in a defensive situation than it takes to use a Firearm.Therefore I don't think ingraining a knife opening procedure or foot work is going to be as critical in overcoming an Adversary as pinpoint accuracy from a Firearm would be.Besides the article Ayoob was quoted in was refering to a Fellow with a severely worn(finish) Firearm used in competition not real world fighting.I remember reading it Myself.tom.

Somehow I have this mental picture of a 300 lbs motorcycle gang member coming at me from a couple feet away, and how fast I can flick an AFCK open doenst make me feel better.

This is a question that has been asked for a long time.
In The Book of Five Rings Miyamoto Mushashi writes that
you should not become attached to just one weapon;you should be
familiar with a variety but be equally skilled with all. If you
only have one weapon and the circumstance calls for you to use
it and that favorite is not there...... This was written in 1643.
I think that is good advice.

Very interesting thoughts so far gentlemen. Keep 'em coming!

logos, incidentally I am reading the Book of 5 rings now!

Similar situation. My one and only friend, that I just happen to help with his yearly knife buy, can out draw me everytime. The reason is, he carries one knife, and carries it everyday and night. He is very familar with his one knife. Now take me for instance. Hundreds of knives, and just about a different one every day. There is no way that I can become as fluid, or as quick as my friend. I am simply not as familar with my own knife. With tip up, tip down, studs, holes, waves, etc., it is very hard to get really familar with one knife in particular, when it's in a knife fanatics nature to buy, buy, buy!

The only knife that makes my friend and I equals is the Commander. The Wave eliminates a lot of the minute handling that is needed to position any other knife, in order to open it via the thumb. It is still pretty easy to "miss" the lip of a pocket, when Waving in a hurry.

In a nutshell, I have to admit, fear the man with one knife, for he will know it well. But, he isn't having as much fun as the rest of us!!!

Until a couple years ago, my only knife was my old SpyderCo Endura. I carried it every hour I was awake for many years. I am still more fluid with that knife than any other: it feels so at home in my hand.

So yes, beware the man with one knife. And get to know every new knife that you acquire... sometimes I don't even get to know one of my new EDC's before I stop carrying it. My solution is to keep at least one knife on me that I am extremely familiar with.

I carried an AFCK for years until recently switching to the Chinook. I now find myself occasionaly trying to release a liner lock with my thumb on the Chinook :rolleyes: Old habits die hard.

First thing..hey logos nice to see more Nor Cal Forumites
Beware the man with one knife but don't give him too much credit, I've run into plenty of people who have carried knives everyday of their lives but have no hand to hand skills whatsoever. I say beware the man with many scars for he is a survivor. Interesting thought Crayola.

It might be beside the point, but I can't help pointing out that James Keating can do about as much with a khukuri as with a bowie, and any random Ghorka could probably do about as much with a bowie if that was the weapon available, especially if he has a chance to play with it a little first to get the feel of it...

The old proverb "Beware the man with one gun" is a comment on those guys who buy a zillion rifles but never practice much with any of them. It is easier to get good with just one. Doesn't mean you can't get good with them all ... that just takes longer.

Good point Cougar!
Also remember that the knife you carry is always a compromise since there is no one knife that can "do it all".

Good luck,
Allen

For years I had only one gun - a colt 1911.

Having to practice with one gun only makes you a very good shot! mainly if you practice 2-3 times a week or more..

The same is true with a knife - it's not only how fast you open it - it has to do with reaching, retrieving and deploying - if it is one knife - it happens fast. period.

If not - one has to hesitate. hesitation takes time, and time wasted in a knife fight means...well ...$hit.

I prefer rotating my "chores" EDC - but always carry 1-2 fighting knives on my person that don't get used - so they remain extra sharp -these are not rotated - hence - I am quite familiar with them

I can fumble with the pocket carried EDC - but this is only when I take care of regular everyday chores...

Just a few quick thoughts fellas,
I have a 1911a1 plain jane pistol and a brand new HKUSP .45. I can hit anything hung out, stung out or hung over with that 1911 cause it's all I had and muscle memory is a part of reaction shooting. I love my USP but I can't hit worth a da## with it. My point is that in the Airborne they made us use a bunch of different weapons and qualify with them but that's a long way from being "expert" with them. Any combat or work related skill will not be mastered without constant practice and repitition. Have you ever seen anyone in the 3rd world who uses a big knife for 95% of the day? they not only know exactly where that blade is at all times but they can make fast hard cuts exactly where and how they want them. Training will always be the deciding factor in a crisis. and don't forget that if you are unprepared to deal with a given situation you will very likely shut down or run. that's enough of my drivel...
Great dicussion!

... because he's got another in his boot, hanging from his neck, in his waistband, up his sleave......

Originally posted by solid_soldier

... because he's got another in his boot, hanging from his neck, in his waistband, up his sleave......

Amen, brother. Amen.

BryanH

Dexter Ewing comes to mind, don't it? On the Suspect forums, his title is Human Cuisanart (sp?)

Back