Beware of the man with one knife...

hey crayola...

one thing I learned a while back was to open my folders with a flick of the wrist. This way I can draw and open my knives with a quick move... this move can be easiy adapted to almost any folder you carry, so long as you carry them in the same way, you won't have any problems aligning your thumb to a particular hole or stud.

this is especially effective on the newer folders with their super slick bearings.

Of course the larger folders that don't use teflon or some of the new fangled bearings/washers take some "seasoning but when you get thm loose enough... sweet.

For instance, my daily carry is an SOGWinder II. Only when I'm in front of non-knife knuts and sheeple do I use the thumb stud. Most other times when I'm alone or with friends, the blade gets drawn and snapped open with one fast move.

In fact, up until I perfeted this wrist snapping movement, I kept only to folders with some form of assisted opening (not spring... just hole and studs). Lately I have been considering getting a new SOG Tomcat in cocobolo, coz it's such a nice looking gentleman's folder with a lotta muscle behind it. I had avoided it before because I had thought that it was too complicated and slow to open wih 2 hands... hehehe no more.

hope that was useful.

Qew71,

I agree with you on the flicking technique! Boy is it fast. I don't have my knvies set up to do that, though. It is quite illegal here to have knives that flick open easily. Instead, I practice using opening holes and studs. Though slower, at least I can open my folder without fear of a cop seeing me and confiscating my knife, or worse.

I recently got my MEUK, a small (4" blade) fixed blade and I carry that around now. Talk about fast to draw! A fixed blade with a GOOD sheath sure is fast.

Qew71, thanks for bringing this thread up again! I forgot about it.

every so often we need to stress training over which style of knife.

the comment I really got into was--Introduce the guy with one knife to blade forums......very funny!

I used to carry 2 edcs now I am up to 4 edcs.

Thanks guys

:p :rolleyes:

A guy I've met once told the story about meeting a sword expert from Japan. The sword expert went on about how he has been trying to master the weapon for over 20 years. This guy gently suggested, "Maybe you should work on mastering your body, then any weapon will be a part of you when you move." (I'm paraphrasing here, he said it respectfully to the expert, in a way which did not offend him).

Now, the guy who told me this is an a$$hole, but this does make sense to me. Train the same, whether with a weapon, or empty-hand, and you will be consistent in your abilities.

A familiar tool is always nice to have, and I love the variety of knives available and for specific purposes. But for self defense, I would spend my (20 years) time mastering firearms. Not too many armed robberies, car jackings, or home invasions are thwarted by edged weapons these days. The knife exception might be women, who predators try to overpower with bare hands alone sometimes. Sorry for being a realist. I suppose its better than nothing of course, but sure does not instill much confidence in me.

well, there's truth in everyone's post. A weapon is only as good as the user. But then some weapons are better then others

I learned this technique when I was young and dumb and worked around a bunch of bikers (couple real Hell's Angels). I recently got back the Buck 100 that these guys taught me how to open quickly (wrist flick). I got this knife when I was about 15 and carried it for years opening it in this fashion. I then taught a more whitebread friend the trick and traded him the knife as it fit his lifestyle more than mine at that point and his Boker bird knife did not.

After ten years or more, we finally traded the knives back. He is quite happy to see his Boker back (recently upgraded to a BM 940 Osborne), and while happy to get back the old Buck, I was sad to see the shape the lock and pivot were in after all this abuse. The knife os not safe to use at ths point because of wear and tear, mostly from flicking open.

Now like the old bikers taught me, flicking open a folding is about the fastest way to depploy a folding knife without the legal penalty of having a switchblade handy, however, it seems to be hard on the knife.

That said, I must say that my new Microtech Socom Elite seems made for the wrist flick! I acidentally found this out when trying to open the knife with a start on the thumb stud, followed by a minor flick (as I know how a hard flick can damage a knife). All of a sudden I find that the blade on the Socom is such that it will flick open almost like it was made to do so. And with such a satisfying sound! I thought my small Sebenza locked up well (won't flick for crap, and that's OK). I can't say that the Microtech is stronger than the CRK (don't think anything is) but is sure sounds solid and I like the big blade!

jmx

PS as to the original post about flicking open a knife, I think it is the fastest way to deploy a folding knife in a defensive situation.

Phhttttttt!
Life's too short for that sort of foolishness!

One knife!

My gawd, the Good Lord gave me 2 hands, and lots of pockets!

As far as the one gun myth goes,,,,,,my bet is that was fabricated back in the great depression by someone dirt poor. ;) seriously,,,,the few really great shots that I've seen could do it on demand with any gun capable of delivering. I saw a guy once chew the center out of target after target with my 6" S&W Model 19, a Model 10 snub nose, a Colt Python, a Ruger GP100, a Colt 1911 and anything else he was handed.

Originally posted by Lone Hunter
Most people I know with just one gun leave it in a closet 364 days a year.

And on the 365th, they only take it out of the closet to look at it and go, "Oh, yeah! I forgot this was here!":D

Brian, if you are refering to your AR-15, I'll take it if you don't want it anymore.

They take it out and go, look, there's a rust spot, I'll have to do something about that. THen they put it back in the closet for another 364.

jmx

ok, I only have one knife.
If you can call it that. Its a blade on a leatherman wave.
I tried the wrist flick thing with it and it did not work.
This means I need to buy another knife right!? :)

What does it really mean when the wife says "you don't need another knife"?
Help me out here :)

JP

A Leatherman Wave is very useful but is not a real knife. It has knifelike apendages and I never leave home without one (almost never) but it is not a real knife (although the locks make it look even more like a real knife than most multi-tools).

The blade flick move is still controversial as it can result in excessive knife wear, but is a good quick move for a tactical folder.

All that said, it's clear that you do need to find a real knife (can you imagine using the pliers from a multi-tool in one hand and a real knife in the other hand, right?).

While I'm sure your wife's a sweet and intelligent woman, it's also obvious that she's suffering from post marital confusion.

Again, just my opinion.

jmx

I remember when I was younger going to the local hardwares. On the counter near the cash register there was always the pocket knife displays. The blades were all made from a type of carbon steel. Most were basically the same style. Certain brands were known for high quality. But the prices were so low compared today. You bought with pocket money....

I remember when I was younger going to the local hardwares. On the counter near the cash register there was always the pocket knife displays. The blades were all made from a type of carbon steel. Most were basically the same style. Certain brands were known for high quality. But the prices were so low compared today. You bought with pocket money....

You've responded to multiple nearly twenty-year old threads, so I have to ask: did you log into the forums back in 2002, leave that computer running with the browser going and just return to it today or what? It's unusual to see such powerful necromancy that an eighteen year old thread is returned to life; to do it more than once indicates a dark and powerful magic at work indeed.

The next time that I just have to know why a thread was disinterred, I'll remember this.

Ha! Don't say you weren't gently warned!

Back