BF2020 Knife from Maniago Poll

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Jul 20, 2020.

Frame / Blade Options

Poll closed Jul 23, 2020.
  1. Barlow (Clip, Spear, Sheepfoot) 3 3/4"

109 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Swayback Wharncliffe 3 5/8"

117 vote(s)
    45.0%
  3. Sowbelly Clip 4"

68 vote(s)
    26.2%
  4. Bolus (Clip, Spear, Drop Point) 3 13/16"

27 vote(s)
    10.4%
  5. Swinguard Spear 4"

28 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. Gunstock Clip 3 1/2"

64 vote(s)
    24.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    Not wanting to offend anyone harboring very strict and eternal definitions of a Traditional Folder; I would like to gauge the interest in Modern Traditional from Maniago Italy. There are several exceptional makers there that I have worked with in the past and have ongoing projects. Although much like GEC from last year; we are now in July and anything I can offer will be a variant of an already scheduled run. But I don't foresee a custom etch being a problem.

Also, I don't foresee there being any problems on the factory side - but that is always a possibility. So, my offer is to do my best. Also, the price will be over $100; but I do expect that I could make it happen for less that $120. Finally, they will not produce a run of less than 300pcs - so that is a magic number in this equation.

So, let's just start at the very basic of details. The frame / blade combination that seem possible at this stage. The Barlow and Bolus are the only two that we could have a secondary vote for blade; so I left them one choice.

If there is an obvious winner I can talk to the corresponding factory and gather details for future polls (if needed). Otherwise, things will need to become a bit more official to move forward than just me taking notes.

Disclaimer: We are not deciding that this is the way we go here. Just gathering information so that I can offer an option. So please don't get aggravated if this is not the direction you wish to go.

Each person can cast 2 votes, but your first two choices stick. Poll closes in 3 days.

2. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    Mike, I just want to say thank you. I appreciate the hard work you are putting in, and the hard work every one else has put in in the past to get us these nice things. That being said, I kept mine simple. Single clip :D No surprise there :rolleyes:

TucsonMik, t.willy, Jonny D and 5 others like this.
  3. sbh06

sbh06 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Echoing the sentiments above. This is not a small undertaking and I am appreciative that you are willing to take it on.

Onearmbladenut, t.willy and tmd_87 like this.
  4. JupiterPaladin

JupiterPaladin

May 4, 2016
    I'd say a single blade clip as well ;)

5. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Very generous Mike.

Onearmbladenut and t.willy like this.
  6. Colt_Chad

Colt_Chad Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 16, 2020
    Thank you for putting this together! I would want a single blade barlow with either a clip or sheepfoot. :)

Edit: The swayback is pretty awesome too!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  7. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    This is very exciting news.
    Thanks for stepping up, Mike.
    Myself (and hopefully others) will/should refrain from the usual traditional/non-traditional arguments.
    I think we should just be happy to get this train out of the station and rolling again. :cool::thumbsup:

8. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    I'm going to stick this thread to keep it visible, although I doubt it'll disappear anytime soon.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to have a knife this year, Mike.

abbydaddy, K33ncutter, mqqn and 15 others like this.
  9. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    My only strong preference is for a single-blade.

This has really cheered me up :cool::thumbsup:

Ace Rimmer, meako, tmd_87 and 3 others like this.
  10. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Thank you, Mike, for stepping up like this - it can be a seemingly thankless role that is rife with frustrations. That said, at this point in time, where everything seems uncertain, this is a breath of fresh air.

I've been very, very happy with my Italian made knives and I think they would make for a superb forum offering. I expect some rather titillating conversation in the near future...

For my part, one cannot go wrong with any of the choices but my vote goes to either the Swayback (an absolute favorite of mine) or the Sowbelly.

Ace Rimmer, tmd_87, Quiet and 5 others like this.
  11. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    Thank you so much for even considering this, Mike! Not taking anything for granted, but just the prospect of a 2020 forum knife -- in stainless! -- has made my morning. :)

Will Power likes this.
  12. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Thank you so much Mike for your efforts. :thumbsup:

13. sf fanatic

sf fanatic Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 4, 2017
    Thanks Mike, I’m sure whatever is chosen will be cool!

14. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Thanks Mike.

15. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    I don't need another Barlow or Swayback but many of the other options are interesting.

16. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Pitched my tents in the Sowbelly and Bolus camps. I like clips...but that drop point Bolus looks nice also.
    Thanks Mike!

.577NE, tmd_87 and JB in LV like this.
  17. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    This thread needs some photos! ;)

I think I’ve got correct representations of four of the six options (photos borrowed from CK). Mike might have to help with examples of the swing guard and gunstock. (Also, Mike, if any of these are not correct for the options being voted on, let me know!) :thumbsup:

Barlow:

[​IMG]

Swayback Wharncliffe:

[​IMG]

Sowbelly:

[​IMG]

Bolus:

[​IMG]

18. Haegar

Haegar

Apr 28, 2020
    Mike you efforts are very much appreciated. I hope you can find a solution for international customers.:thumbsup:

Onearmbladenut and aji1 like this.
  19. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Thanks, Mike. :):thumbsup:
    (By the way, I voted barlow and gunstock clip.)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Jathes and tmd_87 like this.
  20. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    I voted Swayback or Sowbelly also. :D

Onearmbladenut likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.