Photos Bird and Trout! Let's See 'Em!

6vh3Aw9.jpg

A new design of mine since last posted in this thread. I call it a Cowboy Toothpick but it makes a perfect B & T. I make them in AEB-L stainless and 26C3 high carbon:

Rc9VOtw.jpg

Dave, I may have asked you this before (sorry if I have) but is there something that influences the choice between bringing the edge all the way back to the finger choil, like you do on some models, versus having an extended ricasso like the one pictured above? That’s a fantastic looking knife, but I feel like it’d be even better if the flat grind and edge extended all the way back to the choil. Just my personal opinion, of course, so I was wondering if there was a reason you chose/preferred one way over the other.

Bird & Trout knives, steels used s35vn, cpm154 and AEB-L Scagel and Randall influenced, all with hand tooled leather sheath.

View attachment 1932829View attachment 1932830View attachment 1932831View attachment 1932832View attachment 1932833View attachment 1932834View attachment 1932835

Beautiful work on both the knives and sheaths!

Dave, I may have asked you this before (sorry if I have) but is there something that influences the choice between bringing the edge all the way back to the finger choil, like you do on some models, versus having an extended ricasso like the one pictured above? That’s a fantastic looking knife, but I feel like it’d be even better if the flat grind and edge extended all the way back to the choil. Just my personal opinion, of course, so I was wondering if there was a reason you chose/preferred one way over the other.

Beautiful work on both the knives and sheaths!
An awful lot of it is giving folks options. I really like some of my knives where the edge comes back into the choil such as the Paisano, Coyote, Rodeo, Sonoran Belt knife etc. But they all have a finger guard. The Cowboy Toothpick, the Cowboy and others don't have that finger guard, so I don't bring that edge all the way back. Lil insurance of getting your hand knocked forward onto the edge. Options mostly, different folks have different ideas.

An awful lot of it is giving folks options. I really like some of my knives where the edge comes back into the choil such as the Paisano, Coyote, Rodeo, Sonoran Belt knife etc. But they all have a finger guard. The Cowboy Toothpick, the Cowboy and others don't have that finger guard, so I don't bring that edge all the way back. Lil insurance of getting your hand knocked forward onto the edge. Options mostly, different folks have different ideas.

Thanks for the explanation, Dave. Looking back at some of your models, I can see that now — not sure how I didn’t notice it before! 😁

The make/model of this knife is entirely unknown to me. It was passed down when my grandfather passed and I never saw him use it. I was always the fly fisherman of the family. Grandpa liked to troll for salmon. And we usually only hunted deer/rabbit, only going out pheasant hunting a handful of times. That being said, I could see this being one of his "bird and trout" knives.

There are no markings on the blade or handle. Other knives of his passed down to me seem to be clearly made by his younger self or a friend. Perhaps, this is a grandpa custom 😝 OAL ~8 inches with an ~4 inch blade. Full tang.

g8b6f3e.jpg

EWM7tdp.jpg

Last edited:
The make/model of this knife is entirely unknown to me. It was passed down when my grandfather passed and I never saw him use it. I was always the fly fisherman of the family. Grandpa liked to troll for salmon. And we usually only hunted deer/rabbit, only going out pheasant hunting a handful of times. That being said, I could see this being one of his "bird and trout" knives.

There are no markings on the blade or handle. Other knives of his passed down to me seem to be clearly made by his younger self or a friend. Perhaps, this is a grandpa custom 😝 OAL ~8 inches with an ~4 inch blade. Full tang.

g8b6f3e.jpg

EWM7tdp.jpg

Very cool, it reminds me of a slender knife that Mike Mann makes, the Light Field Knife, sort of a filet knife but can be handy for other small tasks. Not my pic.

288223C4-D925-4DAC-AAC5-15AC2CFF2D49.jpeg

Last edited:
Very cool, it reminds me of a slender knife that Mike Mann makes, the Light Field Knife, sort of a filet knife but can be handy for other small tasks.
Oh wow, those are fairly similar! Thank you for posting that!! Mine is a fairly firm blade, but does have some flex. I wasn't sure if it would quality as "bird and trout", but it definitely has the trout part covered! I saw some people in this thread saying they've used nothing but a sharp finger for cleaning birds. I feel like if you took a sharp finger and tried to make it more trout specific, you'd end up with something like that Mann LFK or the knife I posted above 😅

The only other knife I own that I believe might qualify as "bird and trout" is an older case 366 I picked up. I feel this one leans more toward the bird side than the trout side as it's not as slender and has quite a belly. Especially when compared against the case finn knives. It is definitely firm with zero flex. But, it has the guard and ribbing that I think is often found on the "bird and trout" style knives and is certainly the right size.

1pPlwlQ.jpg

NMYjEbE.jpg

quv4SrH.jpg

g8b6f3e.jpg

EWM7tdp.jpg
Very cool! Wonder if that was a paring knife or kitchen knife that was sorry for the pun but pared down. Super thin stock. Betcha its a trout zipper indeed.

Back