Bk-7

No, sure didn't. Not sure on that one, only because I have the other necker en route. Tac tool is definately my next one. Only time can time :)

I own one or two (or more) of just about everything you can think of. But the Becker's, they are second to NONE! Across the 'performance' board they are very tough knives, and, hit a price point that really can't be touched. Sure, they could have Micarta this or S30V that, but then the price begins to climb. I am, however, pleased with the micarta handles I purchased through Ka-Bar, as they provide a grippier handle down here in this South Alabama humidity. Overall, though, any Becker would make for a good first knife.(Then the rest are sure to follow. I:)t's a degenerative disease, this knife thing!)

I own one or two (or more) of just about everything you can think of. But the Becker's, they are second to NONE! Across the 'performance' board they are very tough knives, and, hit a price point that really can't be touched. Sure, they could have Micarta this or S30V that, but then the price begins to climb. I am, however, pleased with the micarta handles I purchased through Ka-Bar, as they provide a grippier handle down here in this South Alabama humidity. Overall, though, any Becker would make for a good first knife.(Then the rest are sure to follow. I:)t's a degenerative disease, this knife thing!)

as it happens, there is a model in limited (final) release in S30V, and another in a very good stainless, and even a san-mai over the basic steel.

Becker got it all covered.

Bladite

I have been mainly into folding knives for a few years, but they are losing their appeal, to me anyway. I just gotten into carrying a fixed blade for edc over a folding knife, and so far I am more comfortable with carrying a fixed blade over a folder. Nothing wrong with folders at all, just for me I feel a little more secure carrying a fixed blade (no moving parts/locks to fail). Love the Becker Necker for this purpose, believe I need the TDI clip though, not too fond of carrying around my neck, not a work anyway. Rather have it on my belt, behind my duty weapon. But, can also see the advantages of neck carry.

Also, I have never owned a large fixed blade and I am thoroughly impressed with the Becker line of knives, now that I have them in hand. Definitely a worthwhile purchase.

I am aware of the Becker Extreme and have considered purchasing one but I'm not sure about the performance to be gained against the price. The specs on S30V are what they are and I even have some concern over reported chipping. So, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.(Obviously, the micarta handles are not what makes this a $300 knife, so, I have to determine if the steel is worth it or not.)

I have also heard of the chipping issues with S30V, so I don't know if I would drop the cash on something like that. Happy with the Beckers I have in 1095 cro-van. But I could but mistaken, after all I am not a metallurgist nor do I have experience with S30V so for me it's just hear se.

I'm no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt, but the 1095 CroVan seems like an excellent steel for a knife. It is pretty much the same steel as the RC knives from ESEE use (formerly RAT Cutlery) and they cost quite a lot more than the BK knives. My BK-7 came VERY sharp and the edge retention and toughness on 1095 is great!

I have a number of knives, but if I wanted to head into the wilderness with only one knife then it would be the BK-7. Big enough without being too big if you know what I mean. If you take a knife that is bigger then you would also want to take a smaller knife for fine work.

I liked my BK-7 so much that I bought a BK-9, I can't wait to go camping with both to play with them and get some good photos.
Here's my BK-7 from the last camping trip:
IMG_8376s.jpg

The BK-7 is one of my favorite knives. It has been modded until it looks just like the Extreme model, as I have stripped the finish and added micarta handles. And as for edges ? I've managed a hair shaving edge as well. I also keep a Leatherman Charge in the sheaths' accessory pouch. I'm about to do some mods to a BK-9 and BK-2 as well. An interesting note; after having sliced hundreds of grapefruits (my father's citrus) I'm noticing a really interesting patina on the stripped blade, a slighty yellowish color from all the citrus acid. By the way, the spray-on epoxy remover from Lowe's works well.

I love the Becker knives I have now (2, 7, 9, 11) so much that I went ahead and order the Tac Tool. Knives, my only addiction :D

Even though it doesn't fit my 'style' of woods tool, it's getting more and more likely that I'll also have to order a 7 to compliment my 9! I'm also getting anxious to see what new toys the KaBar/Becker fellas are cooking up...

I love the Becker knives I have now (2, 7, 9, 11) so much that I went ahead and order the Tac Tool. Knives, my only addiction :D

excellent. i used mine (the one that's good as a hammer at Blade Show 2009) this weekend to remove plaster and lathe, and split some nasty formica stuff. it's a little dusty, but i can't tell that anything untoward happened to it...

would have used the TacTool more, but the 3 foot long FatMax Fubar III is a massive hairy pendulous destruction and prying machine. hulk smash! it's amazing.

oh, didja know the SanMai are (if reports are still accurate), hand honed and polished in Japan? yessssss. purty things...

Bladite

I did not know that about the san mai, maybe I will pick it up next time I place an order.

Back