BK2 Companion "The Beast"

Do you actually use yours, and for what? Its badass no doubt, but not practical for hiking or camping. Truck knife for end of the world, maybe.

I have a few in my BOB's, but rarely use them.

The BK2 is my dedicated "Hatchet" - Makes short work of bigger things that need to be smaller:)

IMG_20200627_163213_compress18.jpg

I'm renovating an old house and garden, so there is quite some stuff that I can use it for.

However, with the 5" blade the reach is limited and so for outdoorsy things I use my 17 and the 7 or 9. However if there would be a longer version, the carrying frequency would increase...

The BK 2 is perfect for camping and hiking, you can use it to do hard jobs with out taking up much weight or size. for little fine fancy cutting jobs, I use a lock back knife usually. My recon 1 with a drop point or buck or gerber usually do the job pretty well.

I find it comical that so often we hear " if it's TEOTWorld I'd pick the BK-2". If you are remote camping or hiking and tragedy strikes, wouldn't you want a knife that would be able to do what you need without fear of breaking it ? I think that the BK-2 gets a bad rap from many people because it can be difficult to get a hair popping edge on it, lots of steel to remove if doing it by hand. It is a fantastic knife.

While camping once in a State Park & batoning some firewood, I got the BK-9 & my BK-10 wedged in a knotted up piece of wood. BK-2 came in handy. I was able to baton it point first into the knot & get the other 2 out & split it. It is a great vehicle camping knife. But that's the great thing about the knife hobby, different blades for different uses. 3/16" is great for 95% of the time but I would think that there are more stories about 3/16" failing vs 1/4", IDK, I could be wrong though.

I found it very easy to get a hair popping edge on my bk2. Thinning out the edge in the first place took a little while, but after that it's been a breeze to maintain. Love that thick hunk of steel!

Now do carrots! 😅
I will !🤣 I’m thinking the 2 will handle carrots:oops: and it does just not that well as thinker blades 🤪 Funny I’ve neve tried cutting apples or carrots with the 2. I would of thought the 2 would have handled it with ease. Makes sense, you don’t see 1/4” thick kitchen knives for sale and for good reason :thumbsup: on the other hand I have fooled around with the Zomstro in the kitchen it slices stuff quite well and it’s 1/4”. It’s probably the short wedge shape of the 2 that that just makes it split and cut at the same time:thumbsup::thumbsup:817D54C6-BD3B-41B7-BD7A-83ABC16D682C.jpegBB62A94C-69E4-439C-8A87-7D8C9820EE84.jpeg03FE774E-5A17-4D13-8400-6D25B8515BD7.jpeg

Last edited:
Now you go cut up a lawnmower 🤣🤣
I have a spare lawnmower too...
Though my other BK-2 is up at the cabin. Just sold the one I had here.

Ok, now do a nice big hard... sweet potato! In halves/quarters, not slices! 😁

The post below may be a bit snarky, but not without merit... :)

Actually there are "benefits" for "cutting(hacking/smashing/pulping)" hard vegetables with the BK2: ( I know that sounds wacky but hear me out :) )

The wedges that are not finely cut but brutally chopped by the BK2 already have their fibers broken a bit more - so cooking time would be less and therefore the energy use would be lower - so every time one uses the BK2 you save the planet chop by chop :D:D:D

Back