BK2 test, the final part (LOTS of pictures)

Wow, that Osage Orange looks amazing.... did you make those scales yourself?
Yeah I did, but for being one of the last sets I did I sure made a lot of mistakes. I warped the wood with a heat gun trying to get the beeswax in, also mande the bolt holes too big.

This thread is the reason I pulled a trigger on a BK2. After seeing what it went through and still in one piece I had to have one.

I would never abuse my Becker knives like that, but if I found myself in a world of shit with my only tool being one of my Becker knives - at least I could have some confidence in the knife holding up during whatever tasks I needed it to do. I bought a BK-7 first and loved it so much I bought a BK-9, then after reading about how great the BK-2 is I decided to get one of those too. The BK-2 cost less than $60 and the BK-7 & BK-9 each cost less than $70 - it's hard to find better or tougher knives for that kind of money.

I have some Mora knives that I like, but when I want to chop or baton then I'd rather let a Becker handle that. I liked my first Becker so much that I realised that it was all the knife I needed, it didn't stop me from wanting more though.

here are some measurement's I said i would take comparing brabs BK2 to a new in box one I had in my gunsafe. There is quite a difference, a lot of metal was removed taking the damage out of this blade.

1) width across measured just above the sharpening notch,
New 1 42/64"
Brabs 1 33/64"

2) With across measured 2" down from the tip,
New 1 39/64"
Brabs 1 29/64"

3) And from tip to grip brabs knife lost about 1/64", hardly anything.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
here are some measurement's I said i would take comparing brabs BK2 to a new in box one I had in my gunsafe. There is quite a difference, a lot of metal was removed taking the damage out of this blade.

New 1 42/64"
Brabs 1 33/64"

New 1 39/64"
Brabs 1 29/64"

A little smaller, a lot more experienced, but still one hell of a tough blade. Thanks for putting it into
perspective for us O.F.!

Never really understood test's like this, But they are fun to watch. I could just never imagine doing that to any of my knives. But I guess at least now I know if My lawn mower ever attacks me I can kill it w/ my BK2!!

This often comes up in these threads and usually this example seems to fail to bring any light but I'll try it again anyway:
When testing out new mattress designs, the manufacturers use giant roller machines to compress and crush the mattresses over and over and over again to see how if/where seams burst, how the materials used hold up, etc. They're putting the item through accelerated and rather extreme wear to see if there are any weak points that might show up with somebody using it for fifteen or twenty years. Now, neither your nor I will likely ever buy a gigantic roller and attack our beds with it, but these tests by the product developers help them to develop better, more durable products. If they didn't do it the extreme way, they'd have to wait five or ten years for people to use their beds normally and see how they did. Thing is, those people who found the weaknesses in the product likely would buy from a different manufacturer the next time.

Back to knives. Being made of good steel and having a thick spine do not, by themselves, mean that a knife is tough. Good steel can be made inferior with poor heat treatment, and even a thick knife that is designed with sharp angles/stress risers can snap under hard use. As the BK2 is billed as a "hard use" knife, people wonder what exactly that means. Nobody is saying that there's a practical application for batoning a knife through relatively heavy gauge steel, however seeing a knife do this gives confidence to those who find themselves batoning through wood from time to time. It's just an excellent demonstration of ruggedness.

Let me come at you from a different angle----many, when showing how sharp they've made an edge, will cut single-ply toilet paper or shave newsprint. I mean, what's with those tests? Have you ever NEEDED to shave newsprint? Are you incapable of ripping toilet paper? Of course not, but they're excellent demonstrations of sharpness.

Back to knives. Being made of good steel and having a thick spine do not, by themselves, mean that a knife is tough. Good steel can be made inferior with poor heat treatment, and even a thick knife that is designed with sharp angles/stress risers can snap under hard use. As the BK2 is billed as a "hard use" knife, people wonder what exactly that means. Nobody is saying that there's a practical application for batoning a knife through relatively heavy gauge steel, however seeing a knife do this gives confidence to those who find themselves batoning through wood from time to time. It's just an excellent demonstration of ruggedness.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

New 1 42/64"
Brabs 1 33/64"

New 1 39/64"
Brabs 1 29/64"

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I appreciate the comparison! I hope you continue to enjoy the knife!

While there were many a fine point in that very poetic and excellent response, I seemed to focus elsewhere...

... Are you incapable of ripping toilet paper?...

I now have another excuse to carry my BK 2 around the house to use for mundane chores, and another notch for the list of 'things I do with my BK2' ... Toilet paper? Check.

I just bought a Bk-2 based SOLELY on what I saw here, I am a total convert. Great job and thanks for doing that which many would not.:eek:

A bump for excellence. Oregon do you still have this knife? I have a soft spot for a good user and this one has to be the epic of all BK users. I have read these threads a couple of times and just posted links to them in another thread. These are the kind of threads that really show what a Becker is made of.

Man, if this thread doesn't prove that Becker Knifes are some of the best knives made - nothing will.

I haven't even received my Bk7 and 11 yet and now I want/need a BK2.

Many thanks BRab and to all who commented!

A bump for excellence. Oregon do you still have this knife? I have a soft spot for a good user and this one has to be the epic of all BK users. I have read these threads a couple of times and just posted links to them in another thread. These are the kind of threads that really show what a Becker is made of.
It's still mine, but on loan to one of the guys who went to BeckerWest. It's one of the best cutters I own. I wouldn't use it as hard as a non convexed BK2 because it has such a fine edge now, but man O' man it slices.

Back