BK9 compared to 12" Onatario machete

How does the BK9 compare to the 12" Ontario machete for chopping?

I have the 12" machete and I'm wondering if the BK9 is worth the difference in price.

Thanks

The Machete is a better chopper IMO :)
I don't have a BK-9 or a 12'' Ontario,but i do have a 14'' convexed Tramontina and a CS San Mai III Trailmaster (thicker,heavier than the BK-9 and full convex) and the machete is much better all round chopper :)

18 inch is even better :D

Truth is that machete is better for chopping - bigger momentum, but is not as good for cutting.

Depends entirely on the consistency of the wood you're chopping. The machete is going to "chop better" in many instances, but if you're having to pry the blade out after every chop, the knife can easily be the quicker and less tiring tool to use because of its blade geometry.. Everything has its ups and downs...

I love that "don't have either one but here's my opinion jazz". I've got the BK9 and it chops like a freak in addition to all of the normal knife tasks you'd likely ask of it. It would be nice to hear from someone that actually has both for a meaningful opinion though. In the mean time, behold the knifey goodness that is the BK9.

20101231_ac_06.jpg

---

Beckerhead #42

I did a chopping comparison several years ago with a 12" Ontario, a Becker Brute, and an older Carbon V Trailmaster. All got 15 whacks on the same 18" oak log in 3 different places and then swapped. I did this 3 times starting with a different blade each time to account for fatigue. All were freshly sharpened and stropped to a shaving edge. The Ontario significantly out chopped the other two by about 1/3. The other two were fairly evenly matched.--KV

Have you tried just searching around on YouTube? You may find what you're looking for there.

I think the machete is a great tool for the woods. The thin, springy stock will bite deep as it is able to slide in better than thicker tools. I would pick a carbon steel (1045,etc) that is treated in the 45hrc range (soft, springy). Something in the 14-18" range with a useful shape and a decent point. I like Tramontina, but the ones I've seen require a ton of sharpening and handle shaping before they are serviceable.

A machete, a saw of some type (folding, cable, etc), and a good fixed blade knife 3-5" range and you'd be set for the woods.

Different animals. I have the BK9 and several other Zombie killer blades. A golok, kukri, hatchet or cutlass machete is a better comparison. The BK9 is like a 9" chef knife in the kitchen. I don't see a machete filling that roll very well. AS was said, they each have there attributes.

Everyone makes some good points, and its really what purpose you need a machete or a BK9 for. I own a BK 9, and if your in a mtn. wilderness setting, the BK9 will do you no wrong, it chops well for building a shelter and can do a variety of cutting tasks and a little easier to hike with especially in the mtns, & the price is great. The other cutters mentioned can chop like no other and would be a great choice in other environments and the purposes you may need it for.

I'd go with the BK9 as more of a general knife, as if I want a machete I want it to be at least 14". The 12 inch is more like a long knife to me.

I've been mulling over the same question. I have an Ontario 12" machete,that I've used on bushes and even battoned it through a length of oak. I would like a BK9,but starting to wonder if the Ontario might be a more practical choice,it's 1/8" thick and made of 1095.

It really depends on what else you're taking in to the bush.
My set up consists of a 12" Ontario Machete (soon to be replaced with a Fiddleback 12"), a Silky saw, and my EDC knife (Ontario rat 1).
I use my saw to bring down standing dead wood, and cut it down to log size.
Then I take my machete to baton the log in to smaller planks, as well as clearing camp, and other general chopping.
Lastly I use my folder for Whittling, cutting rope, and cooking tasks.
My buddy always bugs me about using a machete for battoning logs, and shows off how well his BK9 does at it. But every time we set out to chop, My machete always comes ahead weather I use it or he does.
My point is that the BK9 is an outstanding Battoning and general cutting knife, while at the same time being an impressive chopper for its length, however the machete does seem to out chop it due to its speed, and thin profile that allows it to sink deeper. Note that this does mean you need some time to learn how to "properly" hold a machete by using a pinch grip, and using the right angle to move the wood quicker.
While my machete doesn't baton as well as the BK9, "I" still prefer it due to the weight, and extra reach it provides while clearing camp or a path to find a new one.

Just my .02

Depends entirely on the consistency of the wood you're chopping. The machete is going to "chop better" in many instances, but if you're having to pry the blade out after every chop, the knife can easily be the quicker and less tiring tool to use because of its blade geometry.. Everything has its ups and downs...

I love my BK-9, it is a great chopper. The only negative I can think of is the tendency to 'stick' so you have to pry it out. This tendency seems no worse than with a machete, but I don't know if it is any better.
If someone wants a better chopper than a thick 12" machete then I'd suggest a thick 18" machete, maybe a heavier pattern like a bolo.

My Himalayan Imports 15" Ganga Ram seems to stick much less than my BK-9 or ESEE Lite Machete which makes it a good chopper and they do make even better choppers that work great.

Well,I have a swamprat battle rat that I batonned once.(Now the damn thing is probably too valuable to use:mad:) .So I was thinking of the bk9 to replace it. The ontario 12" though was a lot easier to baton with,longer blade,easier to hit,more leverage. Other than smoothing up the handle it's a darn economical beater right out of the box. I convexed the blade on mine and did some of the 'Pict' modifications. Just wondering if I'm missing anything by not going for the bk9.

The BK9 chops, but not as good as the SP12. The 12 is just more robust. But, the 9 can be a knife, a good knife at many tasks that the 12 just isn't going to do it for you. Guys carve spoons, build shelters, prep food, and a multitude of other task with the 9. I see the 12 as just being in the class of intermediate chopper.

Check your needs again, and if you need a knife that can do some chopping, and perform other tasks as well, get the 9.

If you just want a woodbuster, pull that 12 in, and whoop some wood with it.

Loves me some BK9 though.

100_1738.jpg

Moose

I'm more of a knife kind of guy,I'd pick the 9.My Camillus BK9 is a little thicker at .210",it's a great woods beast!!

For myself,I'll probably get a bk9 eventually,it's just more of a want rather than a need.

I have both the Ontario 12" machete (2 actually) and an old Camillus BK9. I like both..but if I had to choose..I would take the BK9 everytime. Its a great chopper, and it can hold an edge better, carve better..and just do so many tasks better than the Machete.
Nothing wrong with the machete..I just choose the knife.

One of the fellas I hunt and camp with has a newer BK9, and both the 12" and 18" Ontarios. I have both Ontarios as well. Even the 12" will smoke the Becker in limbing and chopping downed, dried oak and pine. Not even really that close. All the machetes' edges have been convexed. IMO, if you can swing toting the 12" Ontario and a smaller knife, you're better off.

Back