Photos Black Black Canvas Micarta

Yea, the leather dye does stain lighter coatings, I found out the hard way with the arctic white. I ended up with arctic gray after all was said and done. Nothing I did would remove that gray.

I have found that the standard black that Fiebings makes does leave a nice coat of powder residue, while the Pro Dye does not. The pro dye also penetrated deeper. Both will work, but the ease of use on the pro dye is worth the extra cost. So far both Dark Brown and Black have lasted very well under use. Mahogany leaves a really nice color on brown canvas micarta as well but its hard to find, I haven't had it in my shop for a while now.

Great idea and put the dye to a Forsaken Gemini handle. Used a q-tip and slowly applied the black dye to the handle. It was easy to wipe the dye off the steel. Turned out very well as the handle started out the same color as the FMV8 handle in the picture.

a1EdVMD.jpg

vChreQZ.jpg

I got alot of the older "greenish tinted" black micarta's laying around, gonna do me up some black dye jobs and make the swamp rats , older busses and the newer all the same color to quell the OCD

Ordered some Fiebings Black pro dye going to try it on an RMD first I assume ye just put it on straight or do you dilute it a bit ?

Ordered some Fiebings Black pro dye going to try it on an RMD first I assume ye just put it on straight or do you dilute it a bit ?

I just ordered some too. Awaiting some more info about the proper way to apply it.
I'll get a little thing together this afternoon, its not difficult to do but there are some little tricks that make it a heck of a lot easier.

Best laid plans and all... I ended up transporting a few dozen branches from the back yard to the front today so ya, ouch!
Anyhoo, yes. First thing to do with that dye is shake it up thoroughly. The ingredients tend to separate as they sit. Let it have more than a few days and give it a good shake as well.
There are several ways to apply the dye. I use a wool dauber, but in lieu of that here is a list of in home items that will work. Cotton swab, but its rather small and will take forever to apply. Cotton ball, this works well but take a clothes pin and nib about half of it so your fingers dont turn black. Felt, take it and fold it till you get a nice thick, about a quarter inch, nub and use the clothes pin to hold it. Have one of those sponge brushes from painting the wall? those work well, heck, brushes in general work ok, but natural hair works the best. Synthetic picks the dye up but not a whole lot as the surface tension doesnt allow it to stick to the synthetic fibers.

I'd suggest several light coats, at least two. Rubbing the surface down between coats and waiting at least ten minutes for the dye to "settle" or cure in. After that let it set over night, in the morning you might see an iridescent glow about it, just rub it down with a soft cloth or tee shirt material.
My handles "wore in" and got very mellow with use, even some sanding did not reveal the original color. But, the nice thing is you can touch up the color as needed.

Would you be willing to post a pic of the handles now after you have used them? Unless you have already re-dyed them.

Now you guys post up some pics of your own DIY dye jobs...:D

I wanna see me some canvas mic handles that are blacker than Elvis' hair during the '68 comeback tour! :cool:

Elvis-68-Comeback-Elvis.jpg

Back