Black Talon II arrived today. Quick review..

I post on the CS forum with another handle so just to let you know, I'm the same guy and didn't copy and paste someone elses review.
Also added a few other thoughts in this review.

Random first impression thoughts of the BT II:

Mine arrived today! (7-18-2015)
I had very high expectations for this knife after reading about it for so long and Cold Steel did not disappoint.

I'm very impressed with the BT II - Materials, Fit and Finish, Ergonomics, etc.
The BT II actually surpassed my expectations.

The CTS-XHP steel is very sharp and easily push cuts thin paper like ATM receipts & Yellow Pages paper. (Maybe even Rice Paper? Toilet Paper?) Although that's not exactly a demanding test of the steel itself, but the edge is very sharp. One of the sharpest knives I've gotten out of the box.

The Build Quality on the BT II really stands out. It feels very solid & very well built when it's in your hand.
Just holding it in your hand makes it obvious that this is a quality, well built knife.

I also like how they did the jimping on this knife. It's somewhat like the jimping on my VG1 Vaqeuro Grandé.
At the top of the handle near the end, the lock spring is a bit recessed from the handle and the jimping itself is on the handle and not on the steel.
I'll try to post some pics but my Cell Phone cam doesn't take very good pics of some things, with knives being one of them.

My only complaint would be that the pocket clip is way too tight to use right now and the clip is very thick making bending it more difficult.

And the fact the clip is shiny, which might draw attention to it.

Other than that, CS hit it out of the park. And the current price is the icing on the cake but as mentioned earlier, sellers raised their prices by about $5.00 to $10.00 over the last several days which might indicate that there is a high-demand for the BT II right now.

Obviously, this knife will be compared to the Spyderco Civilian and as someone that owns both the BT II and the Civi, I would say that the BT II is a much better knife IMO and costs far less.

I think the BT II and other knives in the new/upgraded CS lineup are going to generate a lot of positive feedback in the cutlery community, especially among people that primarily buy CS products, but keep in mind that this is not a multi-purpose knife. It's designed strictly for SD and it looks like it would do it very well.

And I hope that CS will finally get the recognition it deserves as the new knives and materials are top-notch and CS did a great job.

Some people are concerned about the pricing of the new models and steel, but the extra cost is well worth it over the mostly AUS-8A knives, although I do wish that CS kept some of the older knives in production for those that want a quality knife at a good price.

Here's my quick review: I don't like this knife. I think it has a very ergonomic... blade.

22BT_m.jpg

Got mine a few days ago. First knife I own that I've been afraid of. If you get one note, the tip goes beyond the bottom of the knife when closing. My finger was in the way. Tiny cut. Extremely deep. No feeling in part of fingertip. Lots of blood. That was Sunday morn. Pics are from today. Awesome knife.
a8909588d1ef30346e91a2ab6f3334b9.jpg

d5aaf7620edc378096e6e1f1acba4ab1.jpg

5e3af1d928fd388ce4ee542d52f01e4d.jpg
[emoji12]

Now that's bad design that can cause serious issue.....Safety Issue!! So Cold Steel had the nerve to sue CRKT about safety and all that bs drama and they are producing this one? that's just ridiculous to the next level. I'm 99.9% that you can file a lawsuit to Cold Steel about this.

Now that's bad design that can cause serious issue.....Safety Issue!! So Cold Steel had the nerve to sue CRKT about safety and all that bs drama and they are producing this one? that's just ridiculous to the next level. I'm 99.9% that you can file a lawsuit to Cold Steel about this.
Well, I was really surprised I cut myself as I took the time to do a two hand close, which I rarely do outside of my triad lock knives. So when I went back to investigate how I could have cut myself i noticed the design issue. It is actually a pretty bad issue, cuz I'd NEVER think I could cut myself in n that position. The knife is beautiful and, as I can tell, extremely effective. But wanted to at least give a heads up to others so they don't learn the hard way.
2fd5b8b1a330b9aa9c1b8fa564aa2f49.jpg

First, I fully agree, but we'll both be labelled trolls because this is the CS forum where we are just supposed to nod and say good things. But the Talon II has the triad lock, so all is forgiven!.....right?

The blade being curved forward, the tip "gets there" that much sooner, seemingly in a half blink of an eye when it snaps closed. Horrible design. Waste of an XHP purchase IMHO. There are much better offerings.

I would rather see this same handle with a nice wharncliffe blade. It would be much safer and still effective for self defense.

I agree this is something that needs addressing. It is very unusual for the blade to reach that far down the bottom side of the handle. I think it's an oversight, and the least CS should do is add a warning/instruction to the knife in the box before it's shipped.

I would rather see this same handle with a nice wharncliffe blade. It would be much safer and still effective for self defense.

And, you know, practical. This needs to happen. I'm surprised they haven't done this.

Got mine a few days ago. First knife I own that I've been afraid of. If you get one note, the tip goes beyond the bottom of the knife when closing. My finger was in the way. Tiny cut. Extremely deep. No feeling in part of fingertip. Lots of blood. That was Sunday morn. Pics are from today. Awesome knife.
[emoji12]

Sounds like it has a good blade to handle ratio.

Yes, I have to agree with the Wharncliffe too.

That is the one thing where the Cold Steel line lacks the most.

I would like to see them bring back the Land & Sea/Rescue too.

Yes, I have to agree with the Wharncliffe too.

That is the one thing where the Cold Steel line lacks the most.

I would like to see them bring back the Land & Sea/Rescue too.

Yeah, I'd like to see a Voyager Wharncliffe myself.

a8909588d1ef30346e91a2ab6f3334b9.jpg

d5aaf7620edc378096e6e1f1acba4ab1.jpg

5e3af1d928fd388ce4ee542d52f01e4d.jpg
[emoji12]

Excellent! Now I had better get my hands on one before they get pulled. If you don't want yours anymore, let me know. I would be twice as excited to own two. I had a Civilian, but I hated how delicate the tip was.

And I know that I am not the only one who thinks the BLACK Talon 2 should be offered in a BLACK DLC coating...

And next time, grab some gauze, alcohol and fast drying super glue.

Excellent! Now I had better get my hands on one before they get pulled. If you don't want yours anymore, let me know. I would be twice as excited to own two. I had a Civilian, but I hated how delicate the tip was.

And I know that I am not the only one who thinks the BLACK Talon 2 should be offered in a BLACK DLC coating...

And next time, grab some gauze, alcohol and fast drying super glue.
Thanks, but Ill keep the knife[emoji3] I used neosporin, toilet paper and tape. It was pretty official Dr. stuff.

Bought mine last month. Makes the Civilian look like a toy and comes in at a little over $100.00

Pocket clip is too tight. I fixed mine by sliding two credit cards under the clip and pulled them back about 45 degrees and held them in place for a few seconds.
The result was a perfect 1/16th gap between clip and handle and the wave function works to perfection.

This knife is nothing like the Civi and is way better.

Highly recommended.
BTW, there is nothing wrong with the blade design and if you cut yourself you are just being careless.

Quick Pick of the Byrd Hawkbill, the Civi and the BT11:

2n68cjs.jpg

Last edited:
Back