1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blade reviews, impressions, and feedback

Discussion in 'Mad Science Forge' started by Mecha, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    Despite my careful, honest and measured explanations, nobody cares what I think of Mad Science Forge blades. Conflicts of interest and whatnot.

What's much more important are the thoughts of those who own and use them - how they think the blades stand both on their own, and vis-a-vis steel cutlery.

These blades are the first real titanium alloy swords to be developed in the history of the sword-making craft, and the first hand forged titanium alloy blades, heat-treated by eye, using traditional bladesmithing tools and techniques applied with ti alloy metallurgy theory and science in mind. As such, very little information is popularly known about how they fare as tools (and weapons) from someone with experience using them.

This thread is for those who own and hopefully use their ti Mecha blades to report their impressions and thoughts about the blades in general and these carefully-worked titanium alloys in particular. This exercise is important to the history of cutlery, and to me personally as I continue to refine the new craft of forging ti alloy swords, knives and other cutting tools.

Of course any of the great blade makers who I've worked with are very welcome to post their thoughts as well!

Rule 1: be honest
    Rule 2: refer to rule one

Much thanks to everyone who leaves a mark in this thread.

-Mecha

stjones, jbmonkey and WValtakis like this.
  2. jbmonkey

jbmonkey with special platinum powers Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I've put my bt23 machete to task a tiny bit tonight. chopped some bushes hanging over my fence. made easy work of it. I'm planning on putting it to hard work tomorrow on a task. I'll take some pics and post.

ill say this from my limited use. titanium is brilliant for a machete. easy wrist snapping accomplishes far more than arm swinging with a steel machete. I'm so impressed so far I wished I had found this years ago.

Mecha likes this.
  3. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    okay so I did some work with it...it being the bt23 number 5.

so this is what I wanted to cut back and clear a better trail.....
    20180714_183639_800x450.jpg

so here's the machete.....

20180714_184237_600x1066.jpg

so a bit of work...actually pretty easy work due to the lightweight and ease of getting enough speed and force in tighter areas to take it down quick.......
    20180714_184254_600x1066.jpg

so another section further in ......

20180714_185711_600x1066.jpg

and after.....

20180714_190720_600x1066.jpg

the end result after about 40 minutes give a couple minutes....I also cleared some side areas but it was time consuming to stop get phone out of pocket and snap pics.....so ya got what ya got here.......sorry

20180714_190827_600x1066.jpg

the #5 bt23.....after all work. did fine. about still as sharp as it was from Mecha when I got 'er.....

20180714_190753_600x1066.jpg

in complete truth telling as required.........no dings, no real scratches, no sharpening done...still not needed. now I'm gonna head out towards the front and now the grass before the sun sets around 9ish......

Mecha likes this.
  4. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    @jbmonkey thanks much for the feedback! The easy wrist-snap cutting with these things is pretty Cadillac, one of my favorite aspects of using them.

In the third photo down, bottom of the pic, did you cut that big fatty sapling with the machete as well?

jbmonkey likes this.
  5. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    no Sir. I used a folding saw on that. that trail or space is tighther than it looks from the pics. it would have taken a long time to whack through it.

6. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    Ha! No doubt. If you had cut it that cleanly and that low I was gonna say, you have some skills!

jbmonkey likes this.
  7. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    some more pics of machete in action......still original sharpening job from the factory....you..:)......

20181111_172715.jpg 20181111_173116.jpg 20181111_172743_480x853.jpg

Mecha, SpySmasher and WValtakis like this.
  8. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    jbmonkey likes this.
  9. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    yes Sir. even my kid was in on it....

20181111_172022_800x450.jpg

he was having a blast chopping through those water/live oak limbs.

so wheres the other machetes folks........how come I'm the only one posting use in this thread...come on folks ya didnt buy it to hang on the wall........

dc50 and SpySmasher like this.
  10. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    You must be the only person who has ever cut anything with their titanium sword or machete. :p

SpySmasher and jbmonkey like this.
  11. WValtakis

WValtakis Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2004
    I have standing orders to all of my friends to call me whenever there's chopping to be done...but nothing yet:( Our apartment complex frowns on sword weilding outdoors ;).

I really want to beat on the Turbine blade more, I have a feeling it's only going to get better as the edge work hardens:)

~Chip

jbmonkey and Mecha like this.