Blade reviews, impressions, and feedback

found this in the vault;

got a little project coming up with this blade which might be cool to get on 'film', (or whatever we're supposed to call it now)

If that blade was 3x as long it might take 1/3 the time. šŸ˜„

Haha! Sorry, I just love seeing Dan obliterate these huge frozen trees.

Hi all,
As many have said before, I have waited quite a while to do this review. So, this is long overdue and Mecha has been very patiently waiting.

First, a little about me as a user. I am not a metallurgist, knife smith, sword smith, or anything close to that. I am a land surveyor in the piedmont of South Carolina. My world is in the woods, brush, swamps, thickets, backyards, and everything in between. Our area has ALOT of hardwood species (oak, hickory, elm, etc.) as well as briars, vines, and general overgrowth. I have been surveying for over 20 years and have used a machete from day one. I have cut/cleared hundreds of miles of property line through the years. So, through the years I have used about every major brand of machete around. The past 10 years I have used an Ontario 22" steel machete. I concluded they were about as good as I can get for a production tool. For perspective I have broken 5 of these. Yes, break, a clean snap right in half. Generally that happened on larger trees due to the shock force on the heart wood. However, through the years I have googled "Titanium Machetes" in hopes that just maybe someone had explored the feasibility. For years I got nothing and went on. But about a year ago I came across this intriguing, supernatural "Mad Science Forge" website. So, I entered in and was shocked at what I had found. As many of you probably understand, I could not get an email sent out quick enough. So, we struck up a conversation and Mecha informed me that it was in fact real and that my line of work was just perfect for a Ti machete. Long story short, one day that lightweight beauty arrived at my doorstep.

First Impressions:
Unsurprisingly, the weight was just incredible. It is literally 1/3 the weight of my Ontario. Being so light it had a very good feel in the hand and felt very easy to control. But, despite being assured it would perform, I still had a bit of apprehension about just how well being sooo light. Secondly, the looks of this thing is just mesmerizing. It has a cool factor that is off the chart with the space-age samurai feeling. The craftsmanship is second to none. As soon as you look at it there's no question the machete is ultra-custom and hand-made. It oozes quality and attention to detail. It was obviously the coolest machete in the world.

Initial Use Review:
Obviously this machete was quite different than anything I had used before. So, I was fully anticipating a steep learning curve and adjustment period and that proved true. The speed of the blade was so much quicker and recovery was a non-issue. With my Ontario blade you must be very careful how hard you swing it because it has to be controlled after the swing or it can swing back into your leg. So, many times you have to estimate the amount of force to cut your target but not overswing for safety purposes. This can often result in underpowered swings which require a follow-up swing. This makes for much more expended energy overall. With the Ti machete this is totally a non-issue. The control of the blade is almost effortless. I quickly learned I can swing it harder and faster. So in return, although I am swinging harder, it is still less tiring than the Ontario.

Prolonged Use:
I now have had the machete for about 5 months as my daily driver. The new has worn off and its now just a tool like my hammer or tape measure. I use it 3-5 days a week and have become quite accustomed to it. To put it simply, I have beat the crap out of this thing. Not abused, just not papered in the least. It is 100% a tool. I can now cut just as good with it as I have with any other machete. I believe the main difference has been that I can do the same work with much less effort and strain on my wrists and shoulders. I have to say it is quite a pleasure to use. The weight is just superb and makes trimming small limbs an absolute breeze. And it does fine wailing on bigger trees as well. I couldn't imagine using anything else now. To not sound like a total salesman I will say that initially I did have a bit of a time maintaining an edge. On the edge it seemed to be a bit soft and I put a few decent knicks in it. So, I was a bit concerned about toughness. But I have since sharpened it about 4 good times and it seems to be no problem. I believe the initial edge angle may have been part of the issue. I believe the metal may have work hardened possibly. All I know is now it keeps a better edge than initially. I have hit rocks, chain-link fence posts, wires, chains, steel cable, and several other non-forgiving materials and its just fine. I'm now not the least bit reserved to charge off into all manner of refuse swinging my heart out. I sharpen it about once a month now. For my amount of use I feel that is more than acceptable. With steel machetes I sharped about every 2 weeks. Overall, this has greatly improved my work quality of life. I am very grateful to have one in my possession and anticipate I will have it the rest of my career.

Given my line of work and the sheer amount I use the machete I felt I owe it to everyone to report my experiences. So, for any doubters out there I am here to say its for real. There is such a thing as a true Ti machete. It can handle work just like any other tool and does it with style and ease. I wish I had taken more pictures and videos to share but I am generally too busy just working. Again, its not a hobby or a toy for me. I use this tool to put food in my children's bellies. I appreciate the amazing aesthetics of this blade but really love that it's as tough as it is elegant. I appreciate Mecha's life long pursuit of making this a reality the world had never seen. Very very grateful to be a part of the small world of Ti blade users.

Sorry for the long post but I felt it necessary. I will try to get some pictures and video soon.

Josh Ellis
Nu-South Surveying
Anderson, SC

Video:

(EDIT: I added these little videos I found from a camping trip. I know this looks rather uneventful but for perspective this wood is dried yellow locust. This is one of the hardest woods the Southeast has to offer. This one tree is about 30 years old. In reality I should have used a chainsaw but the machete worked just fine.)

Last edited:
Hi all,
As many have said before, I have waited quite a while to do this review. So, this is long overdue and Mecha has been very patiently waiting.

First, a little about me as a user. I am not a metallurgist, knife smith, sword smith, or anything close to that. I am a land surveyor in the piedmont of South Carolina. My world is in the woods, brush, swamps, thickets, backyards, and everything in between. Our area has ALOT of hardwood species (oak, hickory, elm, etc.) as well as briars, vines, and general overgrowth. I have been surveying for over 20 years and have used a machete from day one. I have cut/cleared hundreds of miles of property line through the years. So, through the years I have used about every major brand of machete around. The past 10 years I have used an Ontario 22" steel machete. I concluded they were about as good as I can get for a production tool. For perspective I have broken 5 of these. Yes, break, a clean snap right in half. Generally that happened on larger trees due to the shock force on the heart wood. However, through the years I have googled "Titanium Machetes" in hopes that just maybe someone had explored the feasibility. For years I got nothing and went on. But about a year ago I came across this intriguing, supernatural "Mad Science Forge" website. So, I entered in and was shocked at what I had found. As many of you probably understand, I could not get an email sent out quick enough. So, we struck up a conversation and Mecha informed me that it was in fact real and that my line of work was just perfect for a Ti machete. Long story short, one day that lightweight beauty arrived at my doorstep.

First Impressions:
Unsurprisingly, the weight was just incredible. It is literally 1/3 the weight of my Ontario. Being so light it had a very good feel in the hand and felt very easy to control. But, despite being assured it would perform, I still had a bit of apprehension about just how well being sooo light. Secondly, the looks of this thing is just mesmerizing. It has a cool factor that is off the chart with the space-age samurai feeling. The craftsmanship is second to none. As soon as you look at it there's no question the machete is ultra-custom and hand-made. It oozes quality and attention to detail. It was obviously the coolest machete in the world.

Initial Use Review:
Obviously this machete was quite different than anything I had used before. So, I was fully anticipating a steep learning curve and adjustment period and that proved true. The speed of the blade was so much quicker and recovery was a non-issue. With my Ontario blade you must be very careful how hard you swing it because it has to be controlled after the swing or it can swing back into your leg. So, many times you have to estimate the amount of force to cut your target but not overswing for safety purposes. This can often result in underpowered swings which require a follow-up swing. This makes for much more expended energy overall. With the Ti machete this is totally a non-issue. The control of the blade is almost effortless. I quickly learned I can swing it harder and faster. So in return, although I am swinging harder, it is still less tiring than the Ontario.

Prolonged Use:
I now have had the machete for about 5 months as my daily driver. The new has worn off and its now just a tool like my hammer or tape measure. I use it 3-5 days a week and have become quite accustomed to it. To put it simply, I have beat the crap out of this thing. Not abused, just not papered in the least. It is 100% a tool. I can now cut just as good with it as I have with any other machete. I believe the main difference has been that I can do the same work with much less effort and strain on my wrists and shoulders. I have to say it is quite a pleasure to use. The weight is just superb and makes trimming small limbs an absolute breeze. And it does fine wailing on bigger trees as well. I couldn't imagine using anything else now. To not sound like a total salesman I will say that initially I did have a bit of a time maintaining an edge. On the edge it seemed to be a bit soft and I put a few decent knicks in it. So, I was a bit concerned about toughness. But I have since sharpened it about 4 good times and it seems to be no problem. I believe the initial edge angle may have been part of the issue. I believe the metal may have work hardened possibly. All I know is now it keeps a better edge than initially. I have hit rocks, chain-link fence posts, wires, chains, steel cable, and several other non-forgiving materials and its just fine. I'm now not the least bit reserved to charge off into all manner of refuse swinging my heart out. I sharpen it about once a month now. For my amount of use I feel that is more than acceptable. With steel machetes I sharped about every 2 weeks. Overall, this has greatly improved my work quality of life. I am very grateful to have one in my possession and anticipate I will have it the rest of my career.

Given my line of work and the sheer amount I use the machete I felt I owe it to everyone to report my experiences. So, for any doubters out there I am here to say its for real. There is such a thing as a true Ti machete. It can handle work just like any other tool and does it with style and ease. I wish I had taken more pictures and videos to share but I am generally too busy just working. Again, its not a hobby or a toy for me. I use this tool to put food in my children's bellies. I appreciate the amazing aesthetics of this blade but really love that it's as tough as it is elegant. I appreciate Mecha's life long pursuit of making this a reality the world had never seen. Very very grateful to be a part of the small world of Ti blade users.

Sorry for the long post but I felt it necessary. I will try to get some pictures and video soon.

Josh Ellis
Nu-South Surveying
Anderson, SC

Video:

(EDIT: I added these little videos I found from a camping trip. I know this looks rather uneventful but for perspective this wood is dried yellow locust. This is one of the hardest woods the Southeast has to offer. This one tree is about 30 years old. In reality I should have used a chainsaw but the machete worked just fine.)

Thanks for the great review, Bladezoolane.

It's been a common observation that these machetes tend to work-toughen and get more stabilized with use and after a sharpening or two, so not too surprising there, although the effect is diminished in that alloy, BT/VT23 after heat treatment. After seeing those videos, I'm thinking you need one a bit thicker that has more body than that thin razor-like version. šŸ˜† Oof, holy crap!

The best part for me is that, because of the light weight and easy use, the blade improves the quality of your work life.

Mecha, you need to list Bladezoolane's post in the What knife would you use in a survival scenario in the main discussion forum. their having a debate about a machete being the best all-around survival tool....or Not! The debate/problem seems to be using a machete on the hardwoods in the USA. It seems your TI machete may be the answer. Good work looks like Bladezoolane hasn't broken it yet and he was wailing on that hardwood. šŸ‘

Back