Blade Steel.

As I said, I cannot honestly rule it out. Thing is, I wasn't aware of any of the internet-forum-conventional-wisdumb when I made my observation, and I'm far from new at knives and sharpening. And partially due to the $-factor of pushing the edge of a $125 knife vs. a $450 knife, I've used my PM2's harder, yet have experienced less need to sharpen. Given the PM2s are V edged and the Zaan is convexed, I would have thought the Zaan would if anything had an advantage.

It's not in your head. My factory sebenzas all seemed to dent inward and flatten. Dull within half a day. It was actually harder to sharpen before I had them hardened. I too wish you could just send your CRK in and have it hardened, I'd gladly pay extra. Then I wouldn't lose that great stonewashed finish when I do it myself. The difference two points makes in everyday use is substantial.

And that is my point if in fact I have one to be made: it would be great if CRK could offer/allow a factory (read "warranty) approved option for a customer to re-harden his/her blade to a reasonable hardness, say 61 max, either directly through CRK or an approved source. Seems to me then everybody could be happy, as production would remain as is.

I am thoroughly unimpressed with the steel in my Umnumzaan (s35vn) that I have had for 2 years. I will not buy another knife from CRK unless they get some decent steel with a decent heat treat. There are knives that I routinely carry that cost 20% of what my 'zaan did that have steel that is 10x better. There is no question that the craftsmanship in the CRK is unmatched, but IMO that doesn't matter if the knife sucks at it's job. I'll eventually send it to Bos to be heat treated to a decent hardness, warranty be damned. CRK wasn't interested in talking to me when I called them about this issue early on.

A 'zaan in CPM M4 would be mighty tasty.

I can't believe the affects one Youtube video from a person with an agenda(doesn't like Chris) has had on many people.
Thats is when this started, and is the only reason this myth keeps going.

The steel is just as Chris wants it, and it will stay that way.

I wish people would stop saying Chris should offer it with a higher hardness. Please give it up...IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

This horse was dead long ago. No reason to keep beating it IMO.

I can't believe the affects one Youtube video from a person with an agenda(doesn't like Chris) has had on many people.

The steel is just as Chris wants it, and it will stay that way.

I wish people would stop saying Chris should offer it with a higher hardness. Please give it up...IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

This horse was dead long ago. No reason to keep beating it IMO.

Ken, I really don't think that's fair. I've already pointed out that I was unaware of the "myth" when I made my own observations. Frankly sir you've never laid hands on my Umnumzaan, so you are speculating. I mean no offense to you, but it is not right to insinuate that everybody that has a contrary opinion about a CRK product is propagating an "internet myth".

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT YOUTUBE VIDEO.

I wish you would stop saying this in every thread about the hardness of CRK knives.

We are speaking from PERSONAL experience, not what was seen on a video.

Don't try to discount peoples experience because it doesn't match yours.

You are just as bad as the people bitching about the heat treat, but in a different way.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT YOUTUBE VIDEO.

I wish you would stop saying this in every thread about the hardness of CRK knives.

We are speaking from PERSONAL experience, not what was seen on a video.

Don't try to discount peoples experience because it doesn't match yours.

You are just as bad as the people bitching about the heat treat, but in a different way.

Regardless of your personal opinion about CRK steel, the youTube videos of which he speaks really do dredge up a lot of stupid and repetitive posts from people with ZERO experience.

A lot of people have a really, really difficult time grasping the reality that CRK is going to make knives however they want, period. If a person doesn't like it, buy something else. I keep hearing about all of these other folders that are "just as good". :rolleyes:

I understand CRK's position on this especially the fact that the lineage of steels they use Chris helped develop, so naturally there is a certain amount of pride in that. Like many have said, it is their take on it and have been succesful and well respected for decades now. With that being said, to make some of his customers happy, an S90v (or other steel) upgrade option won't hurt anybody ;) Or, since Chris has a great relationship with Crucible and he takes pride in using HIS own steel, maybe he can help create a new uber super steel for HIS knives?

Just some random thoughts on the subject. Don't be so negative when reading posts so be easy on me guys I know its a touchy subject lol I know how some of you get.

I'm not suggesting that Mr. Reeve make knives differently at all. Just that an owner like me have a CRK-approved option to increase the hardness of my existing knife (blade) to what for my purposes would be more suitable without voiding my warranty at my cost. I'd be very happy to have it done by or through CRK. In the end I'll likely do it anyway as I love my old pivot/no OTS Umnumzaan.

Regardless of your personal opinion about CRK steel, the youTube videos of which he speaks really do dredge up a lot of stupid and repetitive posts from people with ZERO experience.

A lot of people have a really, really difficult time grasping the reality that CRK is going to make knives however they want, period. If a person doesn't like it, buy something else. I keep hearing about all of these other folders that are "just as good". :rolleyes:

:thumbup:
I don't think some of the newer people realize just how often these threads have came up since that video. Its way past beating a dead horse at this point.
If they are this unhappy with the knives I feel they should stick with those "just as good" knives and forget about this topic, and these knives

I hope people will understand the part of your post in bold. The CRK HT isn't going to change folks. Chris knows what he's doing.
If people can't deal with how Chris does things maybe they should stick with those "just as good as" knives, and quit beating this dead horse.
If I wasn't happy with a companies HT I would just move along without a big fuss.

OK Ken, I'll just agree to disagree with you. I'll say it one more time though, I love everything else about my Unmumzaan and merely wish it's edge retention was more useful for me, so no, I don't want to "move along". :)

Well, I am one of CRK's biggest fans and have a nice collection of them. HOWEVER, the past several months I have been carrying other knives with different steels and have come to appreciate the edge retention and higher RC. I get sick and tired of having to sharpen my CRK's only after light use. I use knife day in and day out in my profession and the knife should not fail in edge retention half way through it's chores.
The Sebenza carries the best, is the best in serviceability and design, but I feel that Mr. Reeve needs to offer a limited run once a year in Super Steels.

Well, I am one of CRK's biggest fans and have a nice collection of them. HOWEVER, the past several months I have been carrying other knives with different steels and have come to appreciate the edge retention and higher RC. I get sick and tired of having to sharpen my CRK's only after light use. I use knife day in and day out in my profession and the knife should not fail in edge retention half way through it's chores.
The Sebenza carries the best, is the best in serviceability and design, but I feel that Mr. Reeve needs to offer a limited run once a year in Super Steels.

I use Sebenzas quite often without issue, but I would be first in line for something exotic.

Ceramic interface aside, I wonder how a much harder blade steel would effect the lockbar wear rate?

Most of my firearms, even the Glocks, are probably more capable than I am. The same is true for all the Sebbies I've owned. Short of snapping a blade off prying up pavers or "notching" a blade cutting baling/barb wire, the S30V/S35V steel works just fine for me. I must be using them wrong because I can't really tell the difference between CRK steel and the Benchmade boutique "tool" steel of the month on my various 710's. The CRKs sharpen more easily and don't rust; that's about it. Ah well...

I use Sebenzas quite often without issue, but I would be first in line for something exotic.

Ceramic interface aside, I wonder how a much harder blade steel would effect the lockbar wear rate?

I'm not sure what the second question is - if it is how the ceramic ball would interact with harder steel, the ceramic is much harder than any steel we'll see in a knife blade. If the question is how a titanium lockface would interact with harder steel, we know the answer to that, too - the BG-42 blades were a good bit harder (62ish RC, IIRC).

I will repeat, this is a myth being perpetuated by people with no actual experience. Yeah, yeah, you claim to own all these CRK knives. Right. The truth is, 20 years ago all knives were at around 58 hardness and nobody had an issue with. Now, they have to be sharpened every day. Yeah, right.

There are too many of these threads being started in the last couple weeks by non paying BF members, all with relatively few post numbers. Makes you wonder what the agenda is. Get a freaked life. Nobody forces you to buy CRK.

I will repeat, this is a myth being perpetuated by people with no actual experience. Yeah, yeah, you claim to own all these CRK knives. Right. The truth is, 20 years ago all knives were at around 58 hardness and nobody had an issue with. Now, they have to be sharpened every day. Yeah, right.

There are too many of these threads being started in the last couple weeks by non paying BF members, all with relatively few post numbers. Makes you wonder what the agenda is. Get a freaked life. Nobody forces you to buy CRK.

This is the only forum I've ever seen where people are expected to pay server costs, which every major forum on the internet handles with accepting advertising for revenue. Whether or not people donate to this site has nothing to do with their knowledge or "agenda". Many scammers had a paid subscription. Does that mean everyone with a paid subscription is a scammer?

Who are you directing this to and what myth are you speaking of?

Below are some photos of my first "premium knife" - a Benchmade 970S CQC7 purchased in 1995 for the astronomical price of $105!!! (The one on the top in the first two photos and bottom in last photo) I still own it and back in the day either it or the AFCK were about as good as you could get according to all the knife and gun rags. It replaced my Spyderco Endura after I broke it.

It's a relative POS by todays standards - plastic backspacer, tiny little screws with tiny little thread pitch fastening puny little 1/16th" Ti liners together, sandwiched between old tech 1/16th" G10 slabs, and no perforated phosphate bronze washers to make it tolerable to open. Benchmade geeks will notice the "loose" weave G10 scale texture compared to the bottom later production version. Worst of all, it has that "terrible" ATS-34 steel everyone bitches about now. Mine had the added bonus of being cast with voids in the blade steel from the factory (photo #2). I'm surprised it didn't spontaneously combust, or shatter the first time it was dropped on the floor, or turn to rusty dust long ago!

Nearly 2 decades of use and sharpening have reduced its blade length by almost 3/16th" and its width by 1/16". I've abused it in every way possible, disassembled game, used it as a pry bar, a hammer, cut wire, struck flint, let rust get in to it, etc... Still, if my Sebbies' blades hold up as well after 2 decades with the crappy S30V steel, I'll be happy. I wouldn't pay a dime more for a version with the new super steal of the month (pun intended). OK, I'd pay for some nice carbon steel damascus in a pattern other than ladder/raindrop/basketweave. ;)

Back