Blade Steel.

Many people like the knives just as they are. Think of it from a business standpoint. If you already can sell the product faster than you can produce it, why change anything? Don't mess with success.

Exactly. The product is a hit so there's no need from a business standpoint to change anything.

No, not at all!!! Thats why I was so hopeful!

I think I need to revisit having one custom made. Maybe one of the slipjoint masters would be really nice and help me out.

Exactly. The product is a hit so there's no need from a business standpoint to change anything.

You've walked into burgerking and are expecting to get a big mac...... It's not going to happen, get over it.

If you're not happy go and do what what ever it is you need to do to be happy. This thread is now just a downward spiral......

You lost me. :confused: I have repeatedly said I love everything else about my 'Zaan except it's edgeholding. Is that somehow out of line? Being serious here.

Don't know if this has already been brought up, but Chris makes an excellent point in one of those Bladehq produced videos, saying something on the lines of that with "super steels", everyday folks(myself included) wouldn't be able to sharpen them easily.

I really didn't know what he meant by that until I acquired a few S90 blades from other makers. It's very true. I can't, for the life of me even get a good touch up edge with my trusty strop on the s90 blades. On the other hand, the CRK s30, s35 is a piece of cake.

I spent a little time tonight cleaning up after a birthday party we had at my home the other night. We had the yard decorated with some fun Halloween frights. Several of the decorations were held in place by zip ties. I cut 20-30 of the zip ties with my small plane Jane 21. No edge damage, rolling, chipping, etc. upon completion there was no noticeable dull spots on the edge. This is typical of MY experiences with CRK's S35VN.

3AA35C05-E3E3-40DA-9687-8A4EF6872740-11767-0000062F08DD76CF_zps696320da.jpg

Don't know if this has already been brought up, but Chris makes an excellent point in one of those Bladehq produced videos, saying something on the lines of that with "super steels", everyday folks(myself included) wouldn't be able to sharpen them easily.

I really didn't know what he meant by that until I acquired a few S90 blades from other makers. It's very true. I can't, for the life of me even get a good touch up edge with my trusty strop on the s90 blades. On the other hand, the CRK s30, s35 is a piece of cake.

You bring up an incredibly valid point. If you are not efficient at a sharpening system like the Wicked Edge and only strop, the stay away from some of the super steels. S90V is VERY hard to sharpen over s30V or even 3V.

Gotta' admit, these responses are really surprising to me. None of you guys have any experience with MY particular knife, which I doubt Chris himself heat treated (he's the only infallible being, yes?). Yet it's inconceivable to many of you that there could possibly be any validity to my related experience. I've been very respectful in stating my point, but I'm not above losing my patience - gonna' stay away for a while, as I want to maintain my love of CRK's.

There is really no need to get uppity because people are not having the same experiences as you are. I have used many steels and the same steels at different HRC ratings. I agree with CRK when it comes to their heat threating, FWIW. My personal experience with Chris Reeve's knives does not match yours. Other people here are not having the same issues that you are either. We're all very sorry about that but I don't know what you want to hear ?

Gotta' admit, these responses are really surprising to me. None of you guys have any experience with MY particular knife, which I doubt Chris himself heat treated (he's the only infallible being, yes?). Yet it's inconceivable to many of you that there could possibly be any validity to my related experience. I've been very respectful in stating my point, but I'm not above losing my patience - gonna' stay away for a while, as I want to maintain my love of CRK's.

You imply in post 127 that your edge rolled one time.

Is this seriously all about a single instance where you got a slightly rolled edge?

I have actually held off on buying a Sebenza of any type for 2 reasons.

1. they are notorious for running their steel soft

2. lack of steel choice.

right now my main carry is my spyderco military in S90V, and has only been kicked for my millie in CPM-cruwear when I need a bit more toughness. I have no desire for a strong tip, or a beefy blade(thickness), but the different steels have their place. I hate edge damage, and when I know ill be a bit rough on a knife I choose appropriately.

Did CRK make any A2 Sebenzas? I'm sure I read that here.

P Sebenzas were ATS34
subsequent Sebs were BG42
special run of A2 Sebs?
CRK picked up S30V across their production line
CRK just recently picked up S35VN across their production line

Last edited:

Funny thing is... my hardened sebenzas are actually easier to get a razor edge on then the factory softer blade.

I tried to read the whole thread but failed, so forgive me if this point was made by someone else. I just find it strange that CRK state that they target the 'average knife user'. Does this claim strike anyone else as a bit odd? I would think the average knife user would carry a Buck 110, maybe a Benchmade Griptilian or Spydie Endura. I cannot see the average knife user carrying a knife costing close to $500. The Seb is a high end knife, for high end knife nuts IMO. It therefore seems perfectly natural that we would demand better steels from them.

It just surprises me that they aren't doing this already. As a company they have always been at the cutting edge, excuse the pun. CRK were one of the first companies to popularise the use of titanium, a high end material, as a handle material. Consider how widespread its use is today. Not to mention the development of the RIL which also pushed the industry forward and has practically become the standard now, especially for customs. For this reason alone I feel CRK should be pushing the envelope a bit more with their steel usage. Steel is the new frontier and CRK should really be at the forefront of it, but I feel they have kind of lost out to a company like Spyderco in this area. Which surprises me, given the remarkable success that Spyderco has had with their sprint run limited editions. Its pretty obvious that there is a huge demand for new and exciting steels. If CRK had to do a limited run in M4 or M390 or S90V I cannot imagine the frenzy that would result around them. People would probably be killed in the crush... :D

Last edited:
Maybe CRK is just trying to stick to what works, especially with pricing. Spyderco gets out some interesting steel on their PM2 for example. I can buy a new standard model for a tick over $100. I can buy a "Sprint" run of the same knife with some colored scales and "premium" steel for $200, $300 or $400. So I have to add $100-$300 to the knife for the steel, but I get an exclusive color to visually differentiate it (usually). I'm just not sure someone will pay $510-810 for what looks like a plain Large Sebenza 21 with premium steel (CRK doesn't ostentatiously mark blades). At least with damascus the average dumbass like me can "see" it is different when I'm laying out cash. Maybe if they anodized the Ti handles a unique color for each steel? I wouldn't buy it, but I'm sure some folks would be all in. Not sure I'd cut flooring with a $500-$800 premium steel Sebbie either, though some apparently would.

Well, I would pay a couple hundred extra for the upgraded steel if I had to. That's the level that I want this combo. The reason I mentioned custom shop is so they don't have to make them unless someone orders them and it may take a year. Who knows. You can't blame me for wanting my favorite folder with a CPM-M4 blade heat treated like a custom maker would.

Maybe CRK is just trying to stick to what works, especially with pricing. Spyderco gets out some interesting steel on their PM2 for example. I can buy a new standard model for a tick over $100. I can buy a "Sprint" run of the same knife with some colored scales and "premium" steel for $200, $300 or $400. So I have to add $100-$300 to the knife for the steel, but I get an exclusive color to visually differentiate it (usually). I'm just not sure someone will pay $510-810 for what looks like a plain Large Sebenza 21 with premium steel (CRK doesn't ostentatiously mark blades). At least with damascus the average dumbass like me can "see" it is different when I'm laying out cash. Maybe if they anodized the Ti handles a unique color for each steel? I wouldn't buy it, but I'm sure some folks would be all in. Not sure I'd cut flooring with a $500-$800 premium steel Sebbie either, though some apparently would.

Well, I would pay a couple hundred extra for the upgraded steel if I had to. That's the level that I want this combo. The reason I mentioned custom shop is so they don't have to make them unless someone orders them and it may take a year. Who knows. You can't blame me for wanting my favorite folder with a CPM-M4 blade heat treated like a custom maker would.

It would be way more work and less profit due to low volume sales. They sell out as is so he won't change. CRK isn't innovating now, they are resting on their laurels with the few products they offer. That's a legitimate business model but it isn't geared towards satisfying customer demands in the way other companies offer sprint runs.

Back