Bladeforums BEST BOWIE - 2009 Edition

Wulf!

I have been accused of being AWOL, but you have been MIA!

Nice to see you back.

I would like to contribute to this great thread. Sorry for the small pics as my photo editing skills are not the best. Top picture is a Kyle Royer Bowie. It is made with 300 layers of 1084 and 15n20 steel. Kyle also makes his own damascus. There is rope pattern file work on the German silver guard and a hand crafted 3 piece German silver ferril. The handle is made of tiger striped maple. It is just under 15 inches OAL with a 9 1/2 inch blade. This bowie won the Judges Award from the National Knife Collectors Association in Springfield, Missouri. I aquired this fine Bowie in June 2007.
Next up is a Bill Bagwell Bowie.This has a 8 5/8 inch Devils lace patterned damascus blade. Knife is 14 1/2 OAL It has a brass guard and collar. The guard is oval and fluted. The clip on this Bowie is one of the sharpest and nicest I've seen. The handle really fits smoothly in the hand and the stag is exceptional. The handle is in the style of Scagel with a stag and cocobolo combination with brass spacers. Two great Bowies and proud to have them in my collection. A Happy and healthful New Year to all !

Attachments

• Bagwell royer 2 001.jpg
    Bagwell royer 2 001.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Bagwell royer 2 003.jpg
    Bagwell royer 2 003.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
there are some amazing knives here, a few which are really stretching to be in the "Bowie" catagory.

Some look like big hunters with double guards, some look like recurve choppers etc... I guess this shows how "varied" the definition of a Bowie is.

Matt makes a sound observation, and this has been an annual situation on this thread. But, if you go back and look at the finalist from '07 and '08, when the dust settles, it gets narrowed down to some nice, honest 'bowies' for the final winner. :D :thumbup:

Including all the variations in this thread gives everybody a chance to see many of the great blades that have surfaced in the past year. The more the merrier, IMHO!

- Joe

I find this thread a Gallery stop for the year, inclusive of many long blades. Some of them even a Bowie. ;)

Water finds it's own level. Joe's correct, the final voting will unmask the more unmistakable knives that would be considered a Bowie.

What about the rest of the great knives that deserve an award but aren't a 'Bowie'? Reward: They get seen again and again. :thumbup:

Coop

What about the rest of the great knives that deserve an award but aren't a 'Bowie'? Reward: They get seen again and again. :thumbup:

Coop

They should be seen... in a different post, as the title of this one is "best Bowie".

Not trying to sound crass, or be too grumpy, just pointing out to me what is very obvious.

There are definitely some nice Bowie's here indeed, looking forward to seeing a few more.

From Post #1

Requirements are:

1) Definition - Flayderman wrote an entire book in search of a definition. There probably isn't one that all will endorse, so I'll try to be as inclusive as possible: a) fixed blade; b) 6" blade length and up; c) must be a custom piece. That's it. Fighters, camp knives and traditional bowies are welcome - as are both forged and stock removal blades. Plain or fancy, art knife or tactical - doesn't matter at all - sharing what YOU like is all that counts. To close one loophole from last year - no daggers.

This maybe should just be the "big knife" thread as has been mentioned before, but it is certainly less fun and inclusive if you get too hung up on the definition of a Bowie and try to limit yourself to that...

Having said that ^ I'll post up my Burt Foster Kitchen Bowie for consideration.

It is rumored that Col. Crain, as he helped carry away Jim Bowie, commented "that's a sweet octagonal integral hidden tang on that knife, sir"

attachment.php

Attachments

• kitchenFoster.jpg
    kitchenFoster.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 842
"Kitchen Bowie" - I love it! :D

Wulf - it is great to have you here my friend. I'm looking forward to your vote - you've got a great eye for the big blades.

Joe - thanks man - I caught that duplication, but since one is a group shot I decided to leave it be. Lorien and I will keep an eye on votes cast on that one to make sure they aren't split. As usual, choosing a favourite Hanson will be a hard enough task.

Tick tock gang - 2009 is closing out and so are submissions - get 'em in while you can. Voting for the 5 finalists starts tomorrow.

Roger

Mission Impossible. Pick 5 from the photos that I've seen on this thread? Impossible. To pick a final winner? Can't be done.
With every knife I fall into a deep lust, until I see the next one, and it starts all over again.
Almost any of these knives that end up winning I'll say "yup, good choice"
Bob

A couple more to add to the mix:

1) Redoubt Bowie by Russ Andrews - stag and damascus goodness:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

2) Walnut Camp Knife by Dan Farr - just love the octaganol handle on this piece:

orig.jpg

Roger

Platinum Member???

Mr Gill,
Did you sell a knife that I didn't know about?
Glad to see you back.

Have a Happy New Year!

Great knives so far,
still time for a few more...

I don't think it's possible to like knives, and not LOVE this thread.

Coop's post above makes me think it would be cool to see a couple other "best of" threads.... Best Hunter would be an easy one, full of gorgeous knives for sure!

Maybe if I actually finish a knife I can be part of one of these threads :eek: :eek: ;)

Thanks for making this a tradition Roger!

I don't think it's possible to like knives, and not LOVE this thread.

Coop's post above makes me think it would be cool to see a couple other "best of" threads.... Best Hunter would be an easy one, full of gorgeous knives for sure!
Maybe if I actually finish a knife I can be part of one of these threads :eek: :eek: ;)

Nick, I started a "Best Hunter" thread shortly after Roger's first "Best Bowie" in 2007.
Seemed like a natural progression since so many of us love hunters. However it never gained traction.
I guess we tire of 'best of' pretty quickly.

"Best 'Almost Finished' Bowie with 20,000X Facial Tissue Hand Rubbed Finish" crafted by a severely anal retentive knifemaker - and our winner is......

Nick Wheeler

Accepting Mr. Wheeler's award because he's busy making up excuses for not being in the shop working.... :D

Have a Happy New Year, Nick.

(now go finish a knife already)

Love the "Redoubt Bowie", Roger.
(you know my email when you grow tired of it)

Great thread!!!

Geez, tough crowd ;) But it was only 10,000X Michael ;) :)

I am close to finishing one and it's the best knife I've ever done. You'll all be seeing it here.

Kevin, now that you mention it, I do remember that. It seems like it would be a great thread. :confused:

Happy New Year everyone!!! :) :cool: :)

so, uh, will I have something to post next year then?:p

Wow, I am really floor by the Russ Andrews ones in this thread.

His lines are the epitome of grace.

I am close to finishing one and it's the best knife I've ever done. You'll all be seeing it here.

Oh you great big tease.

Feel free to slap some blackwood on the tang of that turkish twist integral while you're at it. :p

Happy New Year to you too bro, and to all.

Roger

Back