Blades upon Books - Traditionals

I think I have that one. But where?
Here's the front cover. This might help you remember where the book is. :)
3lSFHzL.jpg

Thanks, but mine's a Seamus Heaney. Found it.
JqyCebT.jpg

If poor Klaeber had had a facing-page translation, I might not have had to throw him at a wall.
Got the Seamus Heaney too. Enjoyed it. Read Burton Raffel's translation too. Maybe more. One of the books I keep going back to. Like Homer, Moby Dick, Dante, Shakespeare (esp. Hamlet).

97PDkmc.jpg

The BBC say the Bhutanese are the happiest people in the world. The Bhutanese say they're the happiest people in the world because they think about death for five minutes five times a day.
Makes sense to me.

I love that Otter knife :thumbsup:;):thumbsup:, but have never tried reading Beowulf. If that page is representative, I can make no sense of it! :eek::( (Does "under" in line 8 actually mean what I think it does??)

- GT
The first half of line 8 is translated "he waxed under the clouds." I am certainly not fluent in Old English, and have always read Beowulf in translation. Middle English (Chaucer) is much easier--I can probably grasp 70-80% of the original text of The Canterbury Tales.

Thanks, Vince. :)
I think we read, in Middle English, some part of The Canterbury Tales in high school, but I just Googled it, and none of the tales sound very familiar to me (and some sound quite "bawdy" for my high school). Maybe we read descriptive stuff between a couple of tales.

- GT

I love that Otter knife :thumbsup:;):thumbsup:, but have never tried reading Beowulf. If that page is representative, I can make no sense of it! :eek::( (Does "under" in line 8 actually mean what I think it does??)

- GT

The Otter is a great knife. Solidly built.
Here's the facing page with the translation GT:
5YRxKPD.jpg

Howell Chickering's rendering is "he grew under heaven"

The first half of line 8 is translated "he waxed under the clouds." I am certainly not fluent in Old English, and have always read Beowulf in translation. Middle English (Chaucer) is much easier--I can probably grasp 70-80% of the original text of The Canterbury Tales.
:thumbsup:

Scyld Scefing- Shield son of Sheaf- protector son of provider? Pretty ancient stuff, als i guesse.
I'd still like to know why Beowulf could swim underwater all day. Did he have gills? Could he hold his breath that long? Were his boys operating an air pump with a hose made of reeds? What did the poet think his audience already knew?

Scyld Scefing- Shield son of Sheaf- protector son of provider? Pretty ancient stuff, als i guesse.
I'd still like to know why Beowulf could swim underwater all day. Did he have gills? Could he hold his breath that long? Were his boys operating an air pump with a hose made of reeds? What did the poet think his audience already knew?
Beowulf was the first superhero.

The Otter is a great knife. Solidly built.
Here's the facing page with the translation GT:
5YRxKPD.jpg

Howell Chickering's rendering is "he grew under heaven"

:thumbsup:
Thanks for showing the facing page! :thumbsup::)
My first name is Gary, and I had heard its meaning was something about a spear (carrier, soldier, warrior, chucker, ...). And here I see "Gār-Dena" translated as "Spear-Danes", maybe? How Old English cool is that??? :rolleyes:
(Is the Detroit Tigers' "Old English D" logo related to this "Old English"?)

- GT

Thanks for showing the facing page! :thumbsup::)
My first name is Gary, and I had heard its meaning was something about a spear (carrier, soldier, warrior, chucker, ...). And here I see "Gār-Dena" translated as "Spear-Danes", maybe? How Old English cool is that??? :rolleyes:
(Is the Detroit Tigers' "Old English D" logo related to this "Old English"?)

- GT
Yup, spear-danes.

Scyld Scefing had a pretty cool funeral, too. He was clearly magical, though. Most of us would drift ashore and get plundered, rather than being received by other-worldly types.
I liked Kirk Douglas's funeral in The Vikings, except I think they should have fired the hull rather than the sails.
Iup2Rxf.jpg

How is it possible to get absolutely everything out of focus? I guess I'm clearly magical myself.

Scyld Scefing had a pretty cool funeral, too. He was clearly magical, though. Most of us would drift ashore and get plundered, rather than being received by other-worldly types.
I liked Kirk Douglas's funeral in The Vikings, except I think they should have fired the hull rather than the sails.
Iup2Rxf.jpg

How is it possible to get absolutely everything out of focus? I guess I'm clearly magical myself.
Maybe if you squint you can see it clearly. Works sometimes when I don't have my glasses on.

Back