Blades upon Books - Traditionals

6HLUu3p.jpg

Some light Advent reading this month.

Some oldies from the same era. Reading this book was a summer ritual for me when I was growing up. Fish on!

Book copyrighted in 1944. Schrade Cut. Co. "Fisherman's Pride" (1936 to 1946). Schrade Cut. Co. sterling Oval Lobster (1934 to 1946). Hook and split-rings are modern but that's my grandfather's Williams Wabler spoon from the 1930's or 1940's as well.

CRw57iJ.jpg

Will Power Will Power -Thanks Will! Love my Easy Pocket Congress! Carry it nearly every other day, alternating with the Buck 2018 Forum Knife. Two fantastic opposite enders. :thumbsup::thumbsup: I know you like the opposite end single spring pattern so I'm glad you have at least one 62. :cool: It could be the best of them all. :eek:
Have a great week my friend! :)

Will Power Will Power Will, I think that the 62 is one of GEC's finest patterns. I'll have to keep an eye out for yours. Some of the more important boxes they check for me are; the ergonomics, their walk and talk and that fine piercing tip. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Unicorn Ivory Acrylic, Red Jigged Bone, Snakewood
3ynbWih.jpg

(Not much light available here today so true colors are a bit of a challenge to show. This comes close.)

Last edited:
Sometime down the road give us a book review. I've considered the front one a couple of times.
I will. I've been flipping through both of them, and so far the main difficulty for me will be finding suitable wood to whittle. The book in back (Felix Immler's Whittling in the Wild) is almost literal in its title: it seems to be written under the assumption that the reader has access to acres of forest from which to harvest fallen dead wood of multiple sizes and species. It'll be challenging to find large enough pieces of hazel, yew, birch, etc. lying around in my carefully-managed neighborhood in the Houston suburbs.

I'll just say for now that Whittling in the Wild focuses almost entirely on making what I would call toys: bows and arrows, slingshots, toy boats, and musical instruments. It's sort of in the same vein of Daniel Beard's American Boys' Handy Book; it's fun projects for kids. Felix Immler's instructions are geared toward making the items functional, but not necessarily pretty.

Chris Lubkemann's Swiss Army Knife Whittling Book, on the other hand, is oriented more towards teaching the techniques for more intricate hobby carving; he includes an entire chapter on using wood curls to create decorative flowers and animals.

Back