Bladesmiths in Hawaii

That was Phil Dwyer....I think he was on the Kanehoe side of Oahu?

I believe he posted a while back that he was teaching students knifemaking. Pretty cool gig!

What ever happened to Farmer Phil? He use to post on this forum a few years ago. He was a school teacher by day somewhere in Hawaii.
Hey Ray! I'm still here in the Honolulu area (was on the Big Island), but won't be here for long. Still teaching, but will be doing so in the Bay Area of SF, CA soon. Heading out end of June, or so. It will be aloha Hawaii, after almost 30 years.

I was a knifemaker/construction guy on Maui for a while... then a knifemaker/hardware store guy for a while on Oahu. Fun times for sure, and a lot to be missed... but JT is right, it will get to you after a while if you're used to more space.
There's a guy I know on the wild south end of Maui, with a 250# Little Giant and a Beaudry hammer too... makes knives, swords, general forge work. Kind of a hermit though, I hope he's still out there doing his thing...
Oahu has the most makers, and they are mostly stock removal/folding knife guys... Ken, Scot Matsuoka, Tom Mayo, George Gibo, Carl Zakabi, the late great Stan Fujisaka... it's a small fairly tight knit group of guys.
Of course it's been nearly 10 years since I moved away, there may be more smiths now.
My advice is to bring an anvil with you if you want to forge, they are rarer than hen's teeth in Hawaii.

I take my wife and kids to the big island or Maui about every 2-3 years. Have always been treated very well by the locals. I don't know why but I get "mistaken" for being a local most of the time. Just me...not the wife or kids. They get a kick out of how often it happens.

I may be wrong, but it seems like if you aren't being a rear end and are kind the people there are pretty good back.

I shipped enough W2 to Craig Hashimoto over there to raise the water levels.
He's not around here much anymore, but is a good dude.

Back