BM 535 Bugout is Awesome - but I think the name is wrong. What should it have been named?

I think the gold version should have just be carbon fiber and m390 and priced way less
Totally agree.:thumbsup:

$119 for the blue version in S30V is well priced IMO. Adding plain CF or G10 and a M390 blade would be killer. NOT $500 killer, but I would drop $250-ish for sure for that knife.

As long as they kept the slim profile, I wouldn’t care about another oz or so for heavier scales. :thumbsup:

It's weird name until you realize what it stands for.

I have it reliable sources that Bugout actually stands for " Big Ugly Get Out Utility Tool." I think Benchmade got it absolutely right.

Name's fine.
Lots of folks who obsess about "bug out bags" weigh all the components and get all picky about ounces.
Just think of how many more bullets you could shove in that bag due the knife's lighter weight! ;)

Two. Two more bullets. Lol. The damn things are heavy.

The name's definitely silly. It's way the hell down on the list of options for my bugout bag, if I were the sort to have a bugout bag. I do keep a sort of bugout kit(really more of a basic tool kit) in each vehicle though and that includes a Leatherman Sidekick and a Mora Companion HD. I can't imagine many tasks that those two won't be able to handle. I just noticed the common theme in the names of those two as well. Perhaps they have better marketing departments?

Come to think of it, none of the things in my bugout kits are particularly lightweight when compared to other like products. They're just good, reliable and reasonably priced. Why put several hundred extra dollars into a bag that you hope you never have to use? Bags in my case as I'm too lazy to move them around with me between vehicles and the house.

It's a light duty EDC pocketknife. Therefore it should have been called EDC-LD. They could then made beefier versions called the EDC-MD and EDC-HD.

I really like mine. But I will change out the scales eventually, I'm not really worried about the plastic holding up, but if feels really cheap.

FWIW, the blade on mine is perfectly centered and it'll fall shut when you pull back the lock and don't let it drag on the blade.

XIJF087h.jpg

NCzw7I4h.jpg

Coming from an aviation background I like that name, but the advertising market for pilots would small. Perhaps they could have called it the altitude folder and marketed it with the altitude fixed blade. Hit anyone that is concerned about weight.

I don't think the name "Pilot" would limit it to the aviation community. Honda sells one. However, there are a lot of names that could describe a light, minimalist knife. Bugout is OK, but describes more a hard use, survival to knife to me. Hey, not trying to tell Benchmade what to do, they know their stuff.

TBH, the “Bugout” name should have gone to a slightly larger model with linerless but robust G10 handles and something like LC200N or N690Co blade steel. If I shared that paranoid survival-fantasy mindset, I’d want a well-sized but still managable knife that has high corrosion resistance, even if it put the weight at something closer to 4oz.

Back