Boat anchors/sharpened pry bars

I had a Becker BK-2 years back and wore it in the bush for half a year. I had a fondness for it, but moved on. And there was always a peripheral interest in getting a 5 into my ESEE knife group. Then I saw this thing one day this past summer, and I instantly wanted it. I bought it then ignored it for months. Later I decided to toss it into the trunk for the lake. I used it 4-5 times to split chunks off chain sawed rounds out at the lake, for evening fires with the warden. It felt better after sanding the scales here and there. I am a little surprised that I still like it despite the weight and crappy sheath. It came to mind just now that I also have a mega Kukri that I haven't touched in three years as I never did finish thinning the grip out. Ah well, it's there when I feel like it. Do you have a leaf spring out there that you like ?
CG3kFKB.jpg

cvahMyN.jpg

20201122-192502.jpg

20201122-192525.jpg

Got this monster on my hip today for doing some yard work. Its a Himalayan Imports Ang Khola Bowie. 15+" overall length, about 2lbs, and 3/8" thick.

All my other knives of the bowie persuasion are razor sharp. This beast i keep sharp as a good axe. It will certainly cut and slice, but it functions more like a demolition tool over a knife. The fact i jeep it this way is because its just too heavy to worry about honing to a razor's edge. I don't hunt. I don't ever plan on finding myself elbows deep in a deer needing to dress game. This would not be the knife I would take for that anyway.

What it does do is wreck stuff like a boss. Split and hack and chop. Not a fast knife, but she's brutal ;)

Hot damn, 2 pounds? Awesome beast right there.

And a tanto ESEE? Pretty cool. Never seen one of those before.

If I know I will be chopping, I take along a Condor Village Parang or Pack Golok.

I still have my BK-2. Don't care for it. Never used it beyond cutting paper in the house as I just knew I wouldn't like it much in the woods. Like the BK-7 better but it is a bit larger than I like to carry in the woods for the most part unless I know I will need it. Hence the Condor's. I keep a machete in my pickup for random chopping needs. The Condors mostly get used at home but I'm not above lugging one with me in the woods if I know I will need it.

I like my ka bar. Doesn't see much use. Don't e en know the model name. Used it to open some cans while camping once.

I have a few sharp pry bars. I recently received Knife Connection after market scales for this ESEE 5. Fells like a totally different knife - in a good way. With the original scales it felt like I was holding a pry bar. These scales almost makes it feel svelte.

hsqRvNE.jpg

Looks like my first Khukuri from KH. What do you think of it? How well does yours hold an edge?
Can’t give a scientific answer, but edge holds up rather well. :) Cuts cardboard and rope just fine. Haven’t been able to test this baby out on wood processing just yet. I have medium to large-ish hands so the handle is a tad small for me. Wiggles a bit when I swing. That’s probably the biggest nitpick I have with this knife.

The fatter handle of the Angkhola Kukri from Kailash sits better with me. Kailash is another excellent Khuk maker.

KNZVILQ.jpg

Sharpened prybars are the best knife when you need a sharpened prybar.

Rarely if ever do I need a knife just for cutting/slicing, and I wouldn't be here if it weren't for a sharpened prybar that once held my full body weight and allowed me to climb through the ice.

My Direware Hyper 90 might not anchor a boat, but a kayak or canoe - yeah, probably so.

But I love it anyway........

Back