Boat anchors/sharpened pry bars

Had an Ontario Marine Raider bowie like in post #14,that was a boat anchor.I sent it to davy jones' locker....

Sharpened prybars are the best knife when you need a sharpened prybar.

Rarely if ever do I need a knife just for cutting/slicing, and I wouldn't be here if it weren't for a sharpened prybar that once held my full body weight and allowed me to climb through the ice.

we need the full story!

I have a weakspot for thick short knives.
Here's my Esee 5 at work.

x06YsmlbbJVEpYhLzxLRdrELffD_RwVSe6zO9OlLdEGCj15pEDtj0qItGuIvmecELCjjOC70jIU13aViYUa6n90xUyGC1CTbvq2A3AUPoBRWjJE7QvYckJwa3kWkJGTnp8ThLEQ2O2k=w2400

PY1N7pZ-tdAGCFHUUPdSbEWr5eGDe5uCKhCENV37swRfAwQzRDjvkQyfj1uUMuUBcF087FHLLTuHMR3ILUS_lNjDSQpEXz5gSKqwhFiLwOk_NcefcIaISSCYh1XLO8pcV_b0mdswJcU=w2400

Had an Ontario Marine Raider bowie like in post #14,that was a boat anchor.I sent it to davy jones' locker....

:D I had an old Becker Brute for years but I got tired of it trying to pull my pants to my knees. Now I strap or drop some of the big boys into a pack.

Interesting replies gents. I pulled a Kukri out of one of my tubs just now. It was a project that I started about three years ago and left undone. It was one of those laying in bed late at night amazon things. It has a massively thick spine. I have too many tools/toys. And that's just how I like it.;)
Ys7ao6s.jpg

WRC5-1_grande.jpg

This is a recent copy of the 1827 Russian Pioneer sidearm. I am just including it here less anyone gets the impression that boat anchors are something new. Wood processing tools have been with us for as long as there has been wood.

n2s

I have a few but haven't really used them much-
Ratmandu- this is a usable size knife but has a somewhat thick edge, I understand that it would stand up to a lot more than I can dish out
TOPS (don't remember the model)- this is the size of a BK7, probably could be used to chop down trees or fight off zombies
Bark River Bravo 1- this is not that long but is pretty thick

I have some thinner/lighter fixed blades and don't have much opportunity to use them either. Most of my use is handled better by my normal EDC folders.

My TOPS BOB in 154 CM. It's got a very thick blade. It wasn't very sharp out of the box and it didn't cut so well either. I wanted a bushcraft knife, but I paid for a lesson in geometry. Oh well, live and learn.

Gonna see if I can get it any sharper and throw it in my car.

I had a Becker BK-2....
18 years ago I bought two BK2 blanks. Gifted one. Kept the other in order to slap some handles on it. Still haven't done it. It wouldn't see much use at all.

...Do you have a leaf spring out there that you like ?....
I do own, but the older I get, the less I like them. Light is right, and +slicy is even better. But again, to each his own. I enjoy outdoors usually above tree line and I don't chop half a forrest whenever I camp.

Mikel

That is a beauty! Is that a one off? Does she have a name?

Thanks :) not a one off, but to be completely honest with you I’m not positive I remember exactly who I got it from. Maybe someone recognizes the handle style. I picked it up off the forums some years ago, it was a blem that went for really cheap. I believe I remember being told the sheath was made from an old combat boot (or other boot variation). One of my favorite impulse purchases so far :D:thumbsup:

Sharpened prybars - what knife people carry in defiance to axes and saws. ;)
When afield, a stout fixed blade and a slicey folder are very handy together.
I like Becker knives and while the BK9 is hard to beat, I've always had a passion for the BK2 as it's as indestructible a knife can be, very heavy duty yet portable compared to a longer knife - think getting in/out of vehicle, on/off horses ATV and the like.

That is a beauty! Is that a one off? Does she have a name?
Thanks :) not a one off, but to be completely honest with you I’m not positive I remember exactly who I got it from. Maybe someone recognizes the handle style. I picked it up off the forums some years ago, it was a blem that went for really cheap. I believe I remember being told the sheath was made from an old combat boot (or other boot variation). One of my favorite impulse purchases so far :D:thumbsup:

Awww shit... now it's even more bad ass lol. I dig it. The handel, shape, color, grind, everything. She's a looker. Thanks for the reply man.

315199d1330835999-spanish-fighting-knife-p3035775.jpg

Here is a miniature boat anchor. It is a Spanish special forces bolo, first developed for use by their mountain troops after the Spanish civil war, and used through the early 70s. A very solid knife of integral design. The blade is about 5-1/2" long, stock is about 3/16" and it is 10" AOL. Examples are uncommon.

n2s

18 years ago I bought two BK2 blanks. Gifted one. Kept the other in order to slap some handles on it. Still haven't done it. It wouldn't see much use at all.

I do own, but the older I get, the less I like them. Light is right, and +slicy is even better. But again, to each his own. I enjoy outdoors usually above tree line and I don't chop half a forrest whenever I camp.

Mikel

Been there done that, understood and accepted.:thumbsup: Part of this is my own irrationality of liking cutting/chopping tools. I have a Maxpedition pack in my car trunk with a Husqnarna hatchet, a blaze orange Mora, and an Emberlit stove in it etc. This can cover about 90% of my little outdoor romps. The more extreme temp days are different, and I have heavier duty tools for that. But considering that I am aging also, and primarily do day trips out of my vehicle, I can generally get away with some self indulgence like these heavy blades. I keep a splitting axe and a shovel in my car trunk year round. But the splitter mainly gets used when the wife and I go out to the lake.:)

Back