Boker "Tree Brand Classic" & Solingen made traditional knives

Solingen made Boker Barlows have been my most recent traditional knife addiction. For my birthday, my wife bought me the barlow with covers made from reclaimed oak from Castle Burg... I've picked up four more since then with number six on it's way from the UK as we speak. I really, really like them. I find their fit and finish to be every bit as good as Great Eastern Cutlery, but maybe not as consistent. I've had issues with two Boker barlows so far. The first barlow with blackwood covers had a long pull that was ground incorrectly, so I sent it back. The second one had a shield that stuck up at least an 1/8 of an inch on one side (and pepper spots on the spring when it was brand new), so I sent it back. The third was perfect, as has been every other Solingen made barlow I've picked up. To be fair, the GEC #92 Eureka Jack I picked up a while back had jigging that went well into the bolster.

I21pcWE.jpg

nAQtVdk.jpg

FrMNvV2.jpg

6AsKKzn.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if the Boker's blades being canted downward is something of a preemptive measure to allow the blade to get better (straighter) as the pivot wears in. I have a number of old traditionals that have worn so much between the blade tang and backspring that the appear bent back and broken. Maybe this mitigates that for a while.

Im thinking they are generally on par fit n finish wise as gec but their quality control is lacking to a greater degree. That being said, they probably make more than 200 if each design so its more likely to have more questionable knives slip through.

About the blade cant on my boker club,

I do have an exceptional (sometimes i just stare at it) case canoe with giraffe bone covers, with an even greater cant. Ill try and snap a picture of them together sometime tomorrow.

My Boker Stockman came today and I have a few first impressions. First, the fit and finish is excellent the “Buckskin” bone handles are beautiful. They look more like dark smooth Appaloosa to me. The main clip blade is nice and snappy the others not as much. My only complaint was that all three blades were noticeably dull but took nice edges when run through my Sharpmaker. Overall I’m pleased with this purchase and for $75 I figure it’s worth it.:) Oh yeah, the shield is pinned.
View attachment 1466700 View attachment 1466701 View attachment 1466702 View attachment 1466703

Last edited:
Well this is disappointing. Nearly a month after ordering and repeated emails asking when it's finally gonna ship, I've been informed that they don't have it in stock and refunded me because it's unavailable. Bamboozled by fake inventory.

Well this is disappointing. Nearly a month after ordering and repeated emails asking when it's finally gonna ship, I've been informed that they don't have it in stock and refunded me because it's unavailable. Bamboozled by fake inventory.

Is this from the Finnish store? Did it ever show as status shipped? They claim mine has shipped after Black Friday but there's been no tracking updates since Dec 2.

Is this from the Finnish store? Did it ever show as status shipped? They claim mine has shipped after Black Friday but there's been no tracking updates since Dec 2.
Lawmen's. Status was always "awaiting fulfillment" or something like that.

I've been eyeing up one of the newer German-made Bokers with carbon steel blades that are branded as "Tree Brand Classic Solingen". They are priced closer to a GEC so I was wondering if anyone who has experience with these knives can tell me how the fit and finish compares relative to GEC and Case.
I had access to my father's Boker USA Muskrat when I was a child. I looked at my father's knife collection in late 2017. I decided that I would try collecting folders. I gave away all my folders after losing my arm in 1989. I remember the Tree shield as a boy. The shield was gone. I asked "Mr. Google" and he showed me Solingen Boker Tree knives. I researched the Boker history and I was hooked. I was cleaning up on Evil-bay and I bought new Bokers too. Boker Tree Solingen 1869 was the start of the modern camp folder knife. Americans made traditional folders are better looking with awesome quality. International taxes is why Boker knives cost as much as GEC and the death of the American dollar. Boker Tree Solingen knives are top notch with maxed out prices, Bokers won't go up in value like GEC. GEC is better than Boker Tree. I bought two different blue smooth bone Trapper knives last year. I gave them away. I hate purple. I bought a dark blood washboard bone Trapper , "Home Run !" I bought a large new 5" closed Hunter slip-joint Sambar Stag . The action was horrible and no snap , but the Stag is Krazy awesome. I got some Quick Release Oil on order. I think it might be old buffing carbon. I clean/oil my knives before I use them. Aint no such thing as a perfect knife. I won't buy new Bokers anymore. If you can score used 1990 to 2018 Boker Tree Solingen knives , go for it. Any knife Brand made in the town of Solingen , is a good knife. Germans are not allowed to buy Boker traditionals. Those are sold in America only. I have had a German beg me to send him a knife made in his country. I have German biker friends , that come here to rent Harleys and ride to Sturgis. There is a German GEC dealer , European knife laws make no sense. The Boker Tree 4 1/8" Trapper Washboard bone , every collection needs that knife. Boker Prices are insane right now. I would buy a used Boker "deal" in a minute. The new designs are really nice , but no way on the price. Boker has the best Sambar Stag , but the prices are yuck ! Old Boker knives will go up in value , but the new ones will stall. GEC is the best production knife company in history. The Boker Congress is a hard snap booby trap.

Last edited:
I had access to my father's Boker USA Muskrat when I was a child. I looked at my father's knife collection in late 2017. I decided that I would try collecting folders. I gave away all my folders after losing my arm in 1989. I remember the Tree shield as a boy. The shield was gone. I asked "Mr. Google" and he showed me Solingen Boker Tree knives. I researched the Boker history and I was hooked. I was cleaning up on Evil-bay and I bought new Bokers too. Boker Tree Solingen 1869 was the start of the modern camp folder knife. Americans made traditional folders are better looking with awesome quality. International taxes is why Boker knives cost as much as GEC and the death of the American dollar. Boker Tree Solingen knives are top notch with maxed out prices, Bokers won't go up in value like GEC. GEC is better than Boker Tree. I bought two different blue smooth bone Trapper knives last year. I gave them away. I hate purple. I bought a dark blood washboard bone Trapper , "Home Run !" I bought a large new 5" closed Hunter slip-joint Sambar Stag . The action was horrible and no snap , but the Stag is Krazy awesome. I got some Quick Release Oil on order. I think it might be old buffing carbon. I clean/oil my knives before I use them. Aint no such thing as a perfect knife. I won't buy new Bokers anymore. If you can score used 1990 to 2018 Boker Tree Solingen knives , go for it. Any knife Brand made in the town of Solingen , is a good knife. Germans are not allowed to buy Boker traditionals. Those are sold in America only. I have had a German beg me to send him a knife made in his country. I have German biker friends , that come here to rent Harleys and ride to Sturgis. There is a German GEC dealer , European knife laws make no sense. The Boker Tree 4 1/8" Trapper Washboard bone , every collection needs that knife. Boker Prices are insane right now. I would buy a used Boker "deal" in a minute. The new designs are really nice , but no way on the price. Boker has the best Sambar Stag , but the prices are yuck ! Old Boker knives will go up in value , but the new ones will stall. GEC is the best production knife company in history. The Boker Congress is a hard snap booby trap.
Unfortunately that one I wanted to get ended up being false inventory and the store didn't actually have it. Funny thing is I considered that particular one over a year ago when it was cheap and plentiful but now it's discontinued. Lesson learned I guess. If another I really like comes along I'll be jumping on it right away.

Still looking for the Böker Solingen pocketknives I have with "Classic" blade etches. Found one more, a 5464 Congress pattern - guessing it is about 13-15 years old based on how long I've had it, and how long it was in the gunshop I bought it from. OH
B-ker-5464-Classic-Congress.jpg

I could not imagine not owning 30 Boker Tree Solingen knives. I can not imagine not owning 30 CASE XX knives. (Trapper-locks , Russ-locks ,Tribal-locks , 2019 Trapper-lock Kickstarts "Best fidget toy on Earth") I need the right CASE XX Back-Pocket ! I can't imagine not owning 30 Schatt & Morgan knives. I just counted 110 GEC knives. I was going for 90 GEC knives in 2020 and break 100 in 2021. Without God , I am nothing and I would have nothing. I am a miracle . I know how to bless others and receive miracles in my life. I gave away a Beer & Sausage , GEC#38 after I bought a second one in Tractor Green , GEC#21 F&F , old Boker Tree Solingen rose wood pin knives , my original 1977-80 perfect Star Wars action figures. Don't give your pearls to swine. The right knife to the right person. Mr. Mike Latham gave away a GEC B&S for the word "RECOIL". It is a miracle that Mike Latham did not lose everything he owns this year. Mr. Frank gives knives to post office workers. Mr. Frank gave a GEC#14 Oily Creek bone to Darren Orrell. I want to be more like them. I scored seven 2020 GEC#74 Mustangs. I have three #74 ironwoods and the last AAPK #74. Giving & praying Works ! Please go buy yourself a Boker Trapper Washboard bone knife for $75 to $80 ! You will not be sorry. I have never sold or traded a knife in my life. If you want to be blessed with miracles and better knives, start blessing others. "If it aint worth keeping ,it aint worth giving !" God put that in my heart. I like Kenny one arm better than Kenny two arm.

Last edited:
Germans are not allowed to buy Boker traditionals. Those are sold in America only.

Maybe something got lost in translation there? Boker traditionals are available on many German websites (some of whom offer free shipping within Germany). There is also a large selection on a site I frequently use (in the Netherlands) that ships these with no issues to a bunch of European countries (including Germany).

Back