Boker USA Patriot

If you have one of these, you may want to take a look at jimislash's youtube video. Mine doesn't seem to have the problem his does, but I'll test it a little harder later today. Hopefully his just has an uncommon defect.

[video]https://youtu.be/3QnmkGyzSm8[/video]

I'm a little confused when you say the washers are "built into the handle" they're just molded, right? It's all plastic? So eventually the metal of the blade will wear away the plastic and there will be blade play and since they aren't even replaceable nylon washers the knife will be useless. For a knife in this price range I would expect replaceable washers.

There are a lot of knives designed to have the washers never replaced. There are also a lot of plastic handled knives that don't have washers. I don't know of any knife that is sold with the washers designed to be replaced by the user (e.g. the manufacturer sends a spare pair or sells them.)

I don't know of any cars that are sold with a lifetime supply of tires or oil, either. Knives need washers to function well, they will eventually wear and need to be replaced. Just my opinion, you're totally allowed to never open up a knife in your whole life, if you so choose.

There are a lot of knives designed to have the washers never replaced. There are also a lot of plastic handled knives that don't have washers. I don't know of any knife that is sold with the washers designed to be replaced by the user (e.g. the manufacturer sends a spare pair or sells them.)

If you have one of these, you may want to take a look at jimislash's youtube video. Mine doesn't seem to have the problem his does, but I'll test it a little harder later today. Hopefully his just has an uncommon defect.

[video]https://youtu.be/3QnmkGyzSm8[/video]

Mine doesn't have this issue either, he just got a dud. I wonder where he got his from, any case, he should send it in to be fixed or replaced. This has been an awesome knife for me. Still can't decide if I like it better than the Delica though.
Untitled by Danny Nystrom, on Flickr

Last edited:
I just bought one (black/black combo edge) after being on the fence for months, and I'm glad I finally took the plunge. Mine had no issues out of the box, and might be my favorite small/light EDC folder. If nothing else, it will serve as sort of a downsized alternative to my Cold Steel Recon 1 (spear point combo edge) for when I prefer a lock-back manual opener, such as when traveling to places where I don't trust their knife laws to confuse an assisted opener for a switchblade.

Thanks for the writeup and the photos. After putting it off a while, I just received the Boker Patriot I ordered online while on sale. As far as I can tell, the Boker Patriot blade is either a saber grind or a flat grind with flats at the spine. Given that the linerless scales and back spacer are made of Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon (FRN), I expect the areas that appear milled are actually molded in. Initially, I did not like the lack of washers or bushings, but I no longer have any concerns. If the nylon pivots wore out, I could always add washers. Though I have heard others mention a gritty action, but mine is smooth and I can easily flick the blade open. In the locked position, there is no blade play in any direction. I can easily close the blade single handed, either having the clade choil drop onto my finger first or by carefully using my index finder to close the blade while depressing the release. It is safer to drop the unlocked blade choil onto my index finger. The FRN scales are very rigid, especially considering they lack liners. It is also a nice feature to have removable thumb studs, which will help with clamping sharpeners or to make this a two hand opening knife where laws require that. The blade retention is strong enough that the blade will not shake open. All in all, I am pleasantly surprised by the Boker Patriot and I recommend it to anyone looking for a very light weight and capable every day carry (EDC) folding knife, when it can be found on sale.

Back