Bose Knives

View attachment 1542755 View attachment 1542756
View attachment 1542759

I believe Tony would have been pretty satisfied with the way the jigging on this Case Locking Lanny goes all the way to the edges of the handle. Once he explained to me that he shaped the handle before he did the jigging so the pattern would not be lost around the edges during the finishing process. He sent me a lot of photos of my saddlehorn during the build process. I sure miss him.

What a beautiful knife Leslie Tomville Leslie Tomville . If you would like to share, it would be interesting to see some more of these production photos posted. Just seeing a dremil used for jigging has me wanting to see more of his build technique.

View attachment 1542983 View attachment 1542985 View attachment 1542986 View attachment 1542987 View attachment 1542988 View attachment 1542989 View attachment 1542990 View attachment 1542991 View attachment 1542992 View attachment 1542993

Okay Matt_WY Matt_WY , you asked for it. The knife he made for me was the Saddlehorn. The Locking Lanny’s Clip is a Bose/Case collaboration knife. Tony texted me photos of many of the steps. He got a kick out of the fact that he used common things like paper towels, paper plates, and a microwave to assist him. But he knew that something unbelievably beautiful would emerge from these simple items.

Last edited:
View attachment 1543001 View attachment 1543003 View attachment 1543004 View attachment 1543005 View attachment 1543006 View attachment 1543007 View attachment 1543008 View attachment 1543009 View attachment 1543010 View attachment 1543011

I am aware that Tony once gave a young knife maker a knife that was worth approximately $2500. I bet Kerry Hampton @KnifeHead (a great craftsman and knife maker in his own right) knows about many more examples of Tony’s generosity. I only knew Tony for his last three years. I sure wish I had met him much earlier. I believe I would have been a better person for it.

Last edited:

I think these are some of the most in depth build photos I've seen from Tony. And it's of one of my favorite patterns. Thanks for sharing these!

Thank you very much for sharing these wonderful photos of your knife being built. Beautiful knife Sir! There is so much knowledge on display regarding his fixtures, processes and jigs. I miss Tony and I also miss these WIP shots. I looked forward to seeing them.
Nathan

View attachment 1542755 View attachment 1542756
View attachment 1542759

I believe Tony would have been pretty satisfied with the way the jigging on this Case Locking Lanny goes all the way to the edges of the handle. Once he explained to me that he shaped the handle before he did the jigging so the pattern would not be lost around the edges during the finishing process. He sent me a lot of photos of my saddlehorn during the build process. I sure miss him.
Nice knife, Greg!! You are so lucky to have a beautiful example of one of Tony's favorite patterns, and such a personal record of him making it!!
OMG!!!

I was fortunate to meet the Old Dog at BLADE in 2010, and even got to spend some time in his hotel room with Reese and KnifeHead (Kerry Hampton) as well. They were all gracious with their time and information; just normal great guys with gobs of talent and expertise! Of course I did bring a fifth of Lagavulin 16, which may have helped "oil" the occasion just a little bit! ;)

I was fortunate to meet the Old Dog at BLADE in 2010, and even got to spend some time in his hotel room with Reese and KnifeHead (Kerry Hampton) as well. They were all gracious with their time and information; just normal great guys with gobs of talent and expertise! Of course I did bring a fifth of Lagavulin 16, which may have helped "oil" the occasion just a little bit! ;)

You get 2 at a boy's for oiling the joint Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:. Wish I could've been there!

Dave

View attachment 1599334View attachment 1599335

Thinking of Tony today.

A alongoria , your comments about using your original Bose knife are extremely interesting. Thank you for
sharing your thoughts. The saddleback is a great pattern! Congratulations on owning one.

I am also fortunate enough to own the real thing. Sometimes I am asked if there is really such a great difference between Tony’s knives and those of other top makers. In my opinion, there is a big difference. Tony’s knives just feel perfect in the hand. They are rounded with no sharp edges at all and perfectly balanced. The backsprings almost seem to be tuned to produce a great dinging noise when they snap open. (I wonder if that is why Tony called good knives dingers?) Tony once told me that he used a certain design of backspring he discovered on an antique knife precisely to achieve that great walk and talk. I believe his use of pivot bushings also make his knives silky smooth and snappy. In short, his knives have a life to them that others do not. Others might be technically perfect, but they just don’t have the same soul as one of Tony’s. Anyway, that is my two bits, and I admit that I don’t have a great number of knives to draw conclusions from. It’s just how his original knives strike me. The collabs are great, but they also don’t have that special something that the originals have.

When you combine Tony’s skill with his amazing heart, soul, and personality, you get a knife that is in a class by itself. He was a once in a lifetime maker. He did not feel like anyone was beneath him, and he had a very generous spirit. This world is a lesser place without him.

Last edited:
Hello. I wanted to post something that is maybe not typical here. I don't think there would be any arguments about Mr. Bose's mastery of his craft, how superb the knives he created are, and his place among the greatest knife/folder makers.
I'm carrying my one TB knife ("Saddleback", backpocket frame/saddlehorn blade) and I thought I'd add a couple of comments about how well it functions as a knife.
The blade is 154CM and is ground and finished beautifully. The blade grind angle results in a VERY nicely thin section behind the actual edge bevel. I'm not the most skilled knife sharpener, but I have carefully and minimally refreshed and stropped the edge. The result is a very sharp, "hair popping" edge apex.
I do not use the knife for any kind of aggressive/abusive cutting. However, when I do use it, there is a VERY satisfying feeling of handling and using a fine piece of cutlery.
I'm sure many of these attributes also apply to knives from other makers. But, I feel very fortunate to be able to experience this with a TB knife.
Best regards and God bless.

I was PMd by a forum member asking about a TB knife I'm very fortunate to have. I sent him a text with pics. I decided to finally learn imgur, upload/download files, etc. "Saddleback"
l0L1RZr.jpg
vcm3qjS.jpg

Tony's first Harness Jack!!:cool: Prototype!!View attachment 1461754 View attachment 1461755
I was honored to say the least, that he would make me my favorite pattern! I sure miss him!!
Hey Charlie! How is my favorite Canuck doing these days? I haven't been on BF in a while. Need to catch up soon. We had some fun times with the old dog back in the day. Have a lot of pages to sort through on here, but I hope my buddies (Robuck, Gus, Kerry, etc.) are still hanging around.

Back