Bought a Sharpmaker

I got a good deal on ebay for a sharpmaker...... I will clean the stones; any everyday cleaner suggestions I do believe i have some barrisol gun cleaner but i am not sure if that is good for cleaning the stone please let me know

try Bar Keepers Friend ... should cleanup the rods easily ... or you can buy the rust eraser pads should clean the rods ... but I prefer the Bar Keepers Friend

Where does one find it? is it something that i can find in a grocery store // walmart ?

Yes, can by found at WallyWorld or more than likely your local grocer. It is a common product and can be found in the cleaning aisle along with Comet and other cleaners.

Thank you all

Now to find some old beat up knives in the bottom draw to start sharpening

:)

Well, that actually may give you the first frustration with the Sharpmaker. Remember that the most obtuse setting is at 20 dps. so every beat up knife might be a reprofiling candidate and that can be a journey on the SSM.

Well, that actually may give you the first frustration with the Sharpmaker. Remember that the most obtuse setting is at 20 dps. so every beat up knife might be a reprofiling candidate and that can be a journey on the SSM.

Oh yes. Reprofiling stinks on Sharpmaker. Can you do it? Yep. Would I do it again willingly, if I had a coarse bench stone available? Nope.

Bon AMI or BKF plus a scotch pad for cleaning the stones.

Bar Keeper's Friend (the powder, not the liquid) is what I use. Also good for stainless steel pots and pans, and sinks. Works better than Comet, which I have also tried on the Sharpmaker rods.

I could be doing it wrong, but I just use an old toothbrush and some toothpaste.

I agree with BKF for major clean-ups---great stuff. But keep an eraser next to the SM and it will do fine for regular minor clean-ups. I use one after every few sessions and so only need to pull out the BKF every once in a while. A regular eraser works fine, but latex free ones (easily found at office supply stores) seem to work a little better and cleaner for me.

Andrew

BKF and a green scouring pad will make them look like new. Enjoy your Sharpmaker, you will probably use it more than you realize.

ok well the sharp maker should be in the mailbox today stopping to be some BKF and i have a ton of erasers home from the little ones school supplies

Congratulations on your purchase of the SharpMaker, it is a terrific tool. As mentioned several times, it is pretty slow when reprofiling. Start by practicing on some knives with factory edges set at very similar angles to the SharpMaker angles, so you will get results quickly. Then try some beat up piece of crap that really needs a good sharpening!

Back