Bought a Sharpmaker

I have done 2 cheapo no name knives buried in my toolbox in the garage both never sharpened before and not too beat up... I must admit these blades with god knows what cheapo steal are VERY sharp when done I only have the medium and fine grits may invest in the very fine and strop but VERY impressed with an easy sharpening item. I will probably graduate up to some decent knives soon still would like to keep on the cheapos for now though.

Does anyone have any tips for sharpening the Tip.. Trying not to round off the edge which i can see if VERY easy to do if one is not careful. i tried starting with the tip on the stone and going in reverse but it is not a very natural motion any other ideas

thanks for all the help.... I bought a used kit of the Bay.... I used the BKF and scourer pad to clean the stones up nice i used the eraser on the edges and inbetween knifes....

Also, if you do need to try a quick reprofile, you can use binder clips to wrap coarse sandpaper around the stones, or clamp on some diamond plates to the stones. This is a cheaper way to do it without having to shell out for the diamond or CBN rods.

(...)

Does anyone have any tips for sharpening the Tip.. Trying not to round off the edge which i can see if VERY easy to do if one is not careful. i tried starting with the tip on the stone and going in reverse but it is not a very natural motion any other ideas
(...)

This is how I've done it, occasionally:

Use the flat of the rod only; place the blade's tip on the hone at the TOP of the rod with the bevel making flush contact, then PUSH FORWARD AND DOWN, with the heel of the blade finishing at the BASE of the rod. Rotate or pivot the handle to keep the bevel flush as you go, as is usually necessary for any sharpening stroke. This is still doing it essentially in the conventional top-to-bottom manner, but with a tip-to-heel 'pushing' slice, instead of heel-to-tip 'drawing' slice, going down the rod.

Otherwise, over time and with practice, you'll get a better feel for preventing the tips coming off the hone, when done in the conventional heel-to-tip manner. You can also set an imaginary 'target' at the base, just adjacent to the lower end of the rod's centerline, and make the tip of the blade come to rest at that target point, centered more or less in the middle of the flat of the rod at the bottom.

David

I just use dish soap in on of the those hollow handled scrubbers with scotch pad surface. Works great. But, BKF will work even better I suspect.

Back