BPS Knives of Ukraine

Jack Black

Seize the Lambsfoot! Seize the Day!
Platinum Member
Shortly before the Russian invasion of Ukraine, a small fixed-blade, posted by r8shell r8shell , caught my eye, and after she told me that it was made by BPS Knives in Ukraine, I thought I would order one myself, both because I liked the knife, and as an act of solidarity. I didn't find it hard to get in touch with the small Ukrainian company, and while the knife was inexpensive, I told them just to keep the cash, if they were not in a position to ship the knife.

A few days later, Russian tanks rolled into Ukraine, and with the intensity of the fighting, I did not really expect to receive the knife. A couple of weeks later though, it turned up on my doorstep, and I was very pleased with the usefully-sized knife, which was not only great value, but special in its own way.

TeZVlfI.jpg

The knife is the BS1FTS model, with a carbon steel blade, an ash handle, a Scandi grind, and a 3 1/2" blade. At only 3.17oz it's a handy little knife to take out hiking, and the sheath is of equally good quality.

nWgnIqc.jpg

H37GOLk.jpg

I certainly don't need anymore knives, least of all belt knives, but I thought I would order some more knives from BPS. I certainly wasn't surprised when I saw that they had had to suspend production though. I kept checking back, just to see if there was any news about the company. A couple of months later, in the midst of the terrible ongoing war, I was quite surprised to see that they were working again. I ordered a couple of more expensive knives, but again told them not to worry if they had to close up again, or if the knives didn't reach me. They turned up a couple of days ago though. The first is their Adventurer model, which comes with a ferro rod, and is nearly 10" in overall length. Like the BS1FTS, it has an ash handle, a carbon steel blade, and a Scandi grind. The shoulders of the blade are very capable of striking the well-made ferro rod.

FJ2JUAU.jpg

YsGYfS5.jpg

I prefer flat-ground blades, so I also ordered the BPS Savage, which is 9 1/2" overall, with a 4 1/2" carbon-steel drop-point blade, and bog oak scales. BPS use both stainless and carbon steel, their carbon steel being 1066, hardened to 57-59 RC. While I realise this isn't a premium steel, all 3 knives arrived shaving sharp. Fit and finish is very good throughout.

Vd8G4ka.jpg

QqpTRoi.jpg

When it's back in production, I'm hoping to obtain one of BPS's forged knives, and they do an interesting friction folder which has caught my eye too. It's nice to know that, with typical Ukrainian tenacity, despite everything, these cutlers are still going about their business, producing a range of knives which do them credit. Long may it continue. Slava Ukraini!

Thank you for posting this Jack Black Jack Black

This speaks volumes about Ukraine but also yourself :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I visited their site moments ago and it appears to be working...I think I will order a knife or two also. Hope to report back soon!
Thanks Ken, I can't wait to see what you get :) :thumbsup:

My co-workers in Ukraine are still showing up to work every day and I'm still amazed and impressed.

I went to the BPS site and found an interesting friction folder and decided to order one. I'll post again when I receive it.

Here's the picture from the site:
iWIrGJGm.jpg

Mark

My co-workers in Ukraine are still showing up to work every day and I'm still amazed and impressed.

I went to the BPS site and found an interesting friction folder and decided to order one. I'll post again when I receive it.

iWIrGJGm.jpg

Mark
Incredible Mark. That's an interesting-looking knife isn't it? 👍

I ordered one of the BS1FTS models off Amazon way before the war started after seeing their high reviews. I was really impressed with the blade for the money, one of the sharpest knives I have ever gotten out of the box, reminds me of my Marttinni’s with the polished edge. The sheath was outstanding also, and I ordered one of their sheaths for my Green River Hunter knife and it fit like a glove. Glad to hear they are still in business, I may buy another soon

I ordered one of the BS1FTS models off Amazon way before the war started after seeing their high reviews. I was really impressed with the blade for the money, one of the sharpest knives I have ever gotten out of the box, reminds me of my Marttinni’s with the polished edge. The sheath was outstanding also, and I ordered one of their sheaths for my Green River Hunter knife and it fit like a glove. Glad to hear they are still in business, I may buy another soon
Martinni is what that knife reminded me of too! :D The BPS sheath is better though :) :thumbsup:

zsF5xvW.jpg

I also just ordered an Adventurer! I really dig the thin blade and the scandi grind. Really looks like a capable outdoors blade for whittling and light tasks.

Never heard of that company before and even if they don't deliver, it's no problem.

The prices they have are very good, and If it shows up, I'm gonna put it through its paces

These caught my eye a while ago also when some started showing up on here. Thank you for posting and bringing these to my attention again. I just ordered two! Ill post them up once they arrive.

I ordered the flat ground Savage off the BPS site. It’s cheaper on Amazon, I found, but I think I will leave the order in, in hope that the Ukraine mailing label will provide some interest, and that the maker may benefit from the few extra bucks. Got my eye on the friction folder, too, and maybe one or two additional models.

A few of these knives will probably find their way to the Thrifty Thursday thread.

Nice thread, Jack Black Jack Black .

I took this little one along to a picnic and it's starting to get a patina.
6x02hTk.jpg

I ordered the flat ground Savage off the BPS site. It’s cheaper on Amazon, I found, but I think I will leave the order in, in hope that the Ukraine mailing label will provide some interest, and that the maker may benefit from the few extra bucks. Got my eye on the friction folder, too, and maybe one or two additional models.

A few of these knives will probably find their way to the Thrifty Thursday thread.
I'm tempted by the Savage, as well.

iWIrGJGm.jpg

Mark
Thanks for your post. I have also ordered one. It will be my second friction folder. I will post pics and impressions upon arrival. 😃

I have the model that looks like the Mora Companion.

The knife came very sharp, with a nice polish on the blade. So far I have been happy with the knife and it's value.

The sheath, however, I found to be such thin leather that I have poked holes through when re-sheathing, and find it too dangerous to belt carry.

It seems possible newer models have addressed this, as it seems most people here are commenting on how nice they are.

I have the model that looks like the Mora Companion.

The knife came very sharp, with a nice polish on the blade. So far I have been happy with the knife and it's value.

The sheath, however, I found to be such thin leather that I have poked holes through when re-sheathing, and find it too dangerous to belt carry.

It seems possible newer models have addressed this, as it seems most people here are commenting on how nice they are.
I agree that the sheath is pretty thin, though I haven't poked any holes in it yet. For the price, I don't mind. I suppose I could pick up a better one that would fit.

I agree that the sheath is pretty thin, though I haven't poked any holes in it yet. For the price, I don't mind. I suppose I could pick up a better one that would fit.
The price was very low overall, so I don't mind much either.

The knife itself works and performs great. The steel responds to stropping on green compound very well.

I just won't wear it on the belt as I tried, but the knife tip started to poke through very easily when sitting.

A testament to how sharp they are!

I don't have a problem with the sheath, but I could see it poking through if I sat on it.

I can't see myself forming a proper chape, but what if we contacted-cemented metal face-plates over the point area of the sheath?

Last edited:
Back