Bradford Guardian 3: Viable EDC Option for Skinny Suckers?

6 3/4" total length of knife; 7 1/4" when sheathed. I wear a size 34 jeans, and the knife is perfect under my "outside" t-shirt.
I posted this earlier, but wanted to include this pic. I've probably worn this knife for about a year now...every day, all day.
Bradford Guardian 3.jpg

Rhah...

There is an option with the Armatus kydex sheath that lets you change it to an IWB carry. It's a "hook" sort of thing that attaches to the front side of the sheath and hooks over your belt (or your pants' waistband if you have no belt). This secures the sheath to the upper part of your waistband even when carried IWB.

6 3/4" total length of knife; 7 1/4" when sheathed. I wear a size 34 jeans, and the knife is perfect under my "outside" t-shirt.
I posted this earlier, but wanted to include this pic. I've probably worn this knife for about a year now...every day, all day.

That actually looks really good, Sonnydaze! Thank you for providing a picture. When carried a little on the side like that it might actually not take up too much space on my small waist.
The only thing I'm still wondering about is if the blade handle won't protrude too much that way and won't poke through a t-shirt when trying to conceal it. But I'll have to see about that.

There is an option with the Armatus kydex sheath that lets you change it to an IWB carry. It's a "hook" sort of thing that attaches to the front side of the sheath and hooks over your belt (or your pants' waistband if you have no belt). This secures the sheath to the upper part of your waistband even when carried IWB.

Yes, I'm actually thinking of doing that if I indeed decide to go with a kydex sheath. That clip would allow me to carry it a little diagonally, as well as on pants with no belt - which would come in handy for me as I usually wear track pants in and around the house.

Thank you, by the way, for providing me with the exact length of the blade in both sheaths. Since I don't live in the US and have no way of trying it out first, I'm thinking of crafting a piece of wood with the same dimensions to simulate how it would fit me.

Finally, I have one final question; I was wondering if any of you have any experience with carrying a small EDC fixed blade in a full vertical position, and how this works and feels in terms of comfort?
Let's say you worked in an office environment, for example, and would be sitting down most of time, with the occasional bending over to pick up or cut open boxes; or, say, you'd be going hiking for a day - would a 3.25" blade handle vertically sticking out of your pants become irritating after a while? What are your experiences?

I'm asking because it looks like the IWB Overhook for the Armatus Architect would only allow a diagonal carry position up to so far - it would still remain pretty vertically.

Thanks again, all. Now that I know that there are are so many different carrying options I no longer feel hesitant about buying this wonderful knife. I'm sure I should be able to find a solution that suits me.

I carry several fixed blades in a vertical position (some inverted, some not), and don't find them uncomfortable or interfering. Length can change that, so don't go too big; but position is another factor...a slight movement in one direction or the other can make a huge difference. I don't generally wear them IWB, so my knives aren't sticking out of my pants; so I can't comment on that aspect.

I wear a slightly smaller fixed blade in vertical, clipped to my waistband with a g-clip. I'd say vertical is the most comfortable position, not only that but it conceals better. When sitting or bending over it can be uncovered but usually I'm mindful of it and recover (I also don't work on a formal office so I compensate with longer t shirts or sweatshirts). I don't think I've ever become uncomfortable.

Per Bradford - there is no plan, at this time, to offer a vertical leather sheath for the G3. He did say, though, that some people have put a loop around the existing loop - enabling vertical carry.

How about cutting a piece of wood (paint stirring stick?), metal, or plastic to the G3 dimensions and walk, sit, and move around with it in different positions to see how it works out for you?

... Finally, I have one final question; I was wondering if any of you have any experience with carrying a small EDC fixed blade in a full vertical position, and how this works and feels in terms of comfort?
Let's say you worked in an office environment, for example, and would be sitting down most of time, with the occasional bending over to pick up or cut open boxes; or, say, you'd be going hiking for a day - would a 3.25" blade handle vertically sticking out of your pants become irritating after a while? What are your experiences?

Speaking just for me, I don't like vertical carry on EDC fixed blades. I have tried it with a couple of ESEE Izulas and smaller BRKTs. I want my knife either in my RFP or on my waist between the 10 & 2 positions. Here's why: I have a lot more trouble re-sheathing a knife than I do drawing it. A knife that is carried either horizontally or diagonally for crossdraw is much easier for me to put back than a vertical carry knife. The motion for both drawing and re-sheathing is m ore natural to me than finding a small slot and getting the knife up high enough to drop back in securely. With a horizontal or crossdraw sheath riding under my shirt, I can often draw, use, and re-sheath the knife with no one nearby noticing anything at all.

Also, when I used to actually work for a living, I worked in a warehouse and used my daily carry every day. Sometimes I only had one hand available to pull, use, and put away my knife. That was much easier with the sheath located somewhere in front of me and riding horizontally or diagonally.

Now as far as office work goes, I often carry my G3 in a pocket sheath along with a flashlight. I do this on Sundays because I have to close up the church after evening service and I need the flashlight to get me through the dark sanctuary after "lights out!" The large Sharpshooter pocket sheath is a good fit for a G3 and a flashlight similar to a Streamlight Stylus Pro.

But all that's just me. I'm old, uncoordinated, half-blind, and I don't have good tactile sensations in my hands anymore. Somebody else will have equally good reasons why vertical carry is the best option.

I want to thank you all for your kind and helpful responses! It really is greatly appreciated.

After having taken all of your suggestions into consideration, I think I'm currently leaning towards going for a kydex sheath instead of the leather. Because I get the impression that this would take the overall length, width and thickness of the total package down the most. Am I right in saying this? (Thanks for the exact dimensions by the way, Dalefuller & TortugaNH)

I have been looking at the Armatus Carry sheath, which I think looks rather beautiful and really compliments the blade in general.

The reason why I was initially attracted to the horizontal carry option was because of its easy concealment. Even when wearing just a t-shirt it should be fairly easy to conceal without anybody noticing it's there. Because unfortunately in my country it's not exactly common to carry a knife on you, so even carrying just a simple folder is quite frowned upon - let alone a fixed blade.
Concealment is therefore an important factor for me and I feel that horizontal carry would be best for that - which is why it'd still be my preferred carry option. Although, admittedly, I'm warming up to carrying it a little diagonally. I don't see that really being an issue either in terms of concealment, especially when carried IWB.

What are you guys' experiences with the different carrying options and sheaths in terms of concealment? I feel like the leather sheaths are bound to be a little bulkier and therefore harder to conceal compared to most kydex sheaths. Would you agree?
And please let me know if you have any other recommendations for sheaths and carry options. I'm afraid I still have to find my way in the fixed blade market. The Spyderco G Clip looks interesting too.

I'm also very intrigued by the static cord carry option, Lapedog. Although, judging from the photos, I'd be a little worried about it (sheath and blade) disappearing down my trouser leg... Though I'm not sure how likely that is to happen.

Thanks again, guys! You have been of tremendous help.

Honestly the horizontal leather sheath conceals just ok on me. The bottom tip of the sheath can be seen poking through the shirt, only if you look closely. It might work better if worn on your small of your back.

The best concealment option for me has been using the static cord method since it lets you tuck the knife at any angle anywhere on your belt.

I had one and found it pretty nice to carry. I ended up selling it because where I am, concealing a fixed blade is a no/no, and it just interfered with where I put other things on my belt. It concealed pretty well, though. Totally worth trying. And Brad & his wife are super SUPER nice people.

Back