Brands comparable to busse

Any other high end fixed blade companies that have busse quality and warrenty
I just am not a fan of how busse knives look other that the team Gemini but they discontinued that
Any suggestions ?

There is a TGLB available right now in the Busse for sale subforum. You should still be able to get one from the exchange for quite some time. Just at an elevated price.

I myself don't think there is another production fixed blade that compares with Busse, but I've never tried a Fehrman, and some say they stack up well.
Survive! knives is another I've never had, but heard good things about.

Any other high end fixed blade companies that have busse quality and warrenty
I just am not a fan of how busse knives look other that the team Gemini but they discontinued that
Any suggestions ?

TGLB is a must have knife, I own two and ideally would like to own about 10....get one before they disappear. Cobalt had a few for sale and another guy had about 20 for sale...good pricing is available now, if you wait they will only get more expensive.

As far as comparable, none that I have ever used/owned/held....

have you tried the sister companies, Swamp Rat and Scrap Yard? I've heard good things about them.

As for non-Bussekin companies, I'd say Becker ranks up top for quality and has a much better price range.

I'd say makers using 3v would be your closest bet in terms of steel.

So Survive! and Fehrman would be where I'd start. Or even just buying customs from makers here (particularly for busse types of money).

I'm not a huge fan of Busse knives either (I'm not big on choils, and most of them are too thick/heavy for my uses), but if I was looking to spend that amount, I'd be looking at Survive! or a custom from here.

I think it all depends on how much you buy into what Busse is selling.

For the die hards, nothing.
For everyone else, plenty.

I couldn't put it any better. Overrated and over priced IMO. The Busse fans live in their own echo chamber of slogans and stories that get better with every retelling. Quality in design and materials is ok but I will never understand why perfectly good steels need a made up name. The ones they come with are adequate.

Yeah Busse knives are all hype. They don't work worth a damn. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

INFI has set a performance standard by spanking the absolute TAR out of other knife steels for years and years... Yes, it's expensive, and that twists up some peoples' panties.

So, what is INFI's "real", given name? I mean, since "INFI" is just a made up name for a perfectly good steel.

I've had good luck with a custom maker on here. MLL

He makes your knife to order, asks what materials you like, and is priced to compete.

I have 2 of them in 01, and I really like the knives.

MLL gobi next to small kukri.

Cutting a phone book

MLL scandi

And for the record, I've never chipped 01, where as I did manage to chip infi, twice (missing the tip too). Still love busse.

This is a scary topic and I almost do not want to answer. I have owned a couple of Busse knives and they were stunning. I can not tell you how well they performed because I was scared to use them. I ended up selling them after a year. My customers who are in to Busse knives and use them tell me stuff that almost sounds mythical. If I did not know these people well I almost would not believe them.

"Other high end fixed blade companies" that you should check out:

Fiddleback Forge --- Custom Maker
Fletcher Knives --- Custom Maker
WA Surls ---- Custom Maker
Winkler Knives---- Custom Maker
Backwoods Custom Knives ---Custom Maker
TM Hunt Knives --- Custom Maker

All these custom makers have fantastic customer service and back their knives 100%

LT Wright ----- Midtech
Bark River ----- Midtech

ESEE ----- Production Maker with best warranty I have ever heard of!
White River Knives ---- Incredible quality and top notch people who will back their products!

I know I am leaving others out but these came to my brain quickly. Hope it helps!

Whitty

Yeah Busse knives are all hype. They don't work worth a damn.

Do you see any posts here that say that? You need some drama?

INFI has set a performance standard by spanking the absolute TAR out of other knife steels for years and years...

Right. It's such common knowledge that we don't need any facts right?

Yes, it's expensive, and that twists up some peoples' panties.

My Busse knives weren't my most expensive knife purchases by a long shot. I only kept two though. one Infi and one Scrapyard knife in 52100 steel. I wouldn't exactly call them best bang for the buck but for the original buyer they aren't that much. It wouldn't be the thing I'd pick if I was looking for a reason to not like them. Value and "worth it" are very subjective ideas. Generally if people don't like the product or value they won't buy a product. I doubt too many people would "get their panties in a twist" over the price of a Busse knife though. If so I can't see why. Secondary prices can get fairly high and the general principle of "flipping" knives does bother some from what I've read here.
So, what is INFI's "real", given name? I mean, since "INFI" is just a made up name for a perfectly good steel.

It is a made up name just like SR101 ( 52100) and SR77 (S7). We have had this discussion around here a few times and you can do research to find it if you want. It's no more a secret in the knife industry than "Carbon V" was. Good for you for believing that J. Busse invented a new grade of steel. :) I recall another company owner making similar claims about their steel. At least the Busse folks really do know how to make good knives and not just know marketing.

Do you see any posts here that say that? You need some drama?

Right. It's such common knowledge that we don't need any facts right?

My Busse knives weren't my most expensive knife purchases by a long shot. I only kept two though. one Infi and one Scrapyard knife in 52100 steel. I wouldn't exactly call them best bang for the buck but for the original buyer they aren't that much. It wouldn't be the thing I'd pick if I was looking for a reason to not like them. Value and "worth it" are very subjective ideas. Generally if people don't like the product or value they won't buy a product. I doubt too many people would "get their panties in a twist" over the price of a Busse knife though. If so I can't see why. Secondary prices can get fairly high and the general principle of "flipping" knives does bother some from what I've read here.

It is a made up name just like SR101 ( 52100) and SR77 (S7). We have had this discussion around here a few times and you can do research to find it if you want. It's no more a secret in the knife industry than "Carbon V" was. Good for you for believing that J. Busse invented a new grade of steel. :) I recall another company owner making similar claims about their steel. At least the Busse folks really do know how to make good knives and not just know marketing.

Not looking for drama - it's called "sarcasm", hence the triple rolleyes. :rolleyes:

It IS common knowledge if you're interested enough to do research.

I couldn't put it any better. Overrated and over priced IMO.

Sounds like you have a problem with the price to me.

[SARCASM]

You know, now that you've enlightened me, I agree. It's just absolutely unheard of to invent a new steel! I mean, there are only so many different grades, and it's a finite number that can never be added to. Especially just by some lowly guy making knives... Amirite? :rolleyes:

[/SARCASM]

There are a great many steel types out there. Is it unfathomable for someone to come up with their own proprietary blend and make stuff out of it and sell it? Ya know, like lots of other steel types?

I've been on BF for a minute or two. Everything I have read says that INFI is a proprietary steel, produced by one mill, exclusively for Busse Combat. No one else can make knives made of this steel. If you've heard different, where can I get some? I would surely like to! (Along with a bunch of other people) If it was such a common "recipe", custom makers would be turning out knives made from it by the truckload.

I am no Busse shill, or even a collector. I own a grand total of 2 of them. It just irks me to see them dismissed as nothing more than overrated, overpriced fad knives when I know it's not true.

Last edited:

What happened to your sig?

Personally, I'd rather spend ~$400 on a knife from Busse or ~$400 for Busse on the secondary market than, for example, attempt to buy a brazed blade for $500, if I can get there in time, otherwise look to drop perhaps twice that on the exchange for a something that is "who knows" in performance.

But like you said, die hards and all that.

Back