Bridgeport BoyScout hatchet

This, the first model Boy Scout hand axe by Bridgeport, appears in the April, 1931 edition of Boys' Life. Thus, it appears that Holbrook, and all relying on him, are mistaken as to the earliest date when this official Boy Scout axe was sold.

Last edited:
https://boyslife.org/wayback/comment-page-9/

kLfK7p8.png

I have access as a member of a Scout museum, but everyone has access via the Way Back Machine.

A more recent attempt at a boy-proof axe. Circa 1960-1965 if the original color was red. Yellow came next.

When was green the color? I have a wood handle like the OP, and as well as a red handled one, a green handled one and a yellow handled one.

Is there a good online reference for the history and variations of the Bridgeport Scout Axes?

There is quite a bit here already:

1931 First Bridgeport Boys Axe
????
1948-1960 Green with wood handles
1960 - 1965 Red “boy proof” handle
???? Yellow with “boy proof” handles
1969 Last Year Made

Also, search for US Patent US1830663A

Were wood grip axes sold at same time as the rubber gripped ones?

I note three forging differences: some have no markings, some have name & address with patient number, some have name & address with no patient number.

I don’t own any Bridgeport’s myself as I grew up with Plumb axes on the farm and just like a wood handle - yet my hammers all have steel handles so perhaps I should have a Bridgeport Boys Axe.

Last edited:
The 1934 model was advertised into 1947, but few were made after pearl Harbor due to wartime allocation of steel and energy

The next model appears in 1948 BSA catalogs.

The lighter, red model was 1960-65.

The yellow model was 1965-1969.

Lots of the first two models were purchased by adults ("indestructable"), but few were used by Scouts. The were noticeably heavier and the handle transmitted more impact shock to the user. I was a troop Quartermaster in a troop with 120 registered boys, and the Plumbs with wooden handles were all checked out before a single Bridgeport was reluctantly checked out. "They hurt."

I promised a friend on the Spyderco Forums I would post some pics of my hatchet, and in researching I came upon this thread. I figured some of you might be interested in the story. I did sharpen it today, but decided to leave that small chip towards the bottom; it cuts well, and will sharpen out eventually.

When I was a teenager, I worked at a YMCA Summer Camp in the Sierra Nevada. We'd take kids up to the mountains for the week, and do your standard camp stuff like nature hikes, arts + crafts, etc, then do a 3-day overnight backpacking trip where we'd take them out into the backcountry. A lot of the kids were foster children from the city, and had never had a chance to experience nature up close & personal before. Needless to say, the backpacking trip was usually the most rewarding part of the week.

One week, I had some older boys and we hiked out to Kennedy Lake. We camped in a meadow about a mile or 2 from the lake, and after dinner the fog set in so thick you could barely see your hand in front of you. If that wasn't spooky enough, I'd been perfecting my scary stories that year, and had the tale of the Hatchet Man down pat.

One night back in the 70s, John and Mike were out backpacking out here at Kennedy Meadow. They were strong hikers, and made good time on the way in. Since they had the time, they decided to head the extra mile-or-two in to enjoy an afternoon of swimming, cliff jumping, and relaxing in the Sierra sunshine.

Just as they were getting ready to pack up and head back to camp, they heard a rather unsettling howl. As their eyes focused on a lone man standing on a rock on the far side of the lake, the howl turned to laughter. An uncouth-looking man, he was dressed in dirty denim overalls held up with only one suspender, and no undershirt. As they watched on, he started hopping up and down, hooting and hollering, and waving a small hatchet around above his head. before taking off into the woods behind the lake.

Disturbed, the buddies turned around and hurried back to camp. Around their campfire, the two talked through their experience, and agreed that it was probably just some old drunk old-timer trying to get a rise out of them. They'd see tomorrow, as in order to bag Kennedy Peak the next day they'd have to

Sometime in the middle of the night, Mike awakes to a shrill cackle followed by a steady thud, thud, thud. As he opens his eyes, he sees the figure of the old-timer from the day before. Mike bolts upright when he realizes that the man is swinging his hatchet again and again into John's now-limp body. He runs, and he runs, and he runs until he reaches the trailhead, a pack station thankfully-equipped with a working phone.

Later the next day, Mike returns with a team of rangers. There is no sign of the old timer, and nothing left in their tent but a pile of torn and bloody sleeping bags. In the days that followed, it was announced that a dangerous man had escaped from the local mental institution. Search and rescue teams scoured the area, but were unable to uncover any signs of the Hatchet Man.​

Needless to say, the kids (middle school/early high-school age) were pretty spooked. I may have gone a bit overboard; at least two slept with their shoes on, just in case they awoke to their friends being murdered in the middle of the night. :eek:

The next day, I was walking up the hill away from camp to relieve myself, when I kicked something heavy in the jeffery pine duff which littered the hillside. I bent over and found this old hatchet, rusted over and with no handle. I took it back with me as a souvenir, though I hid it under my arm as to not raise alarm with the boys.

Later, I heard them arguing about something: "I went back and it's not there! Someone took it!" It turns out the boys had found the hatchet while digging in the woods the day before, then briefly buried it so as to not get in trouble (we had a strict no weapons policy in those days, the boys couldn't even have Swiss Army Knives). Unbeknownst to me, the rusty hatchet found in the woods added another dimension to the fear factor of my story the night before; I genuine felt bad for the kids, and I spent the rest of our trip reassuring them that I had in fact made the whole thing up. :(

Fast-forward to the end of the week, I soaked the hatchet in a mixture of Apple Cider Vinegar and Molasses for about 10 days until the rust was mostly eaten away. Then I scrubbed it down with steel wool. With the help of my father, I put it in a vice to straighten out the handle, polished the head (well, somewhat) and put a halfway-decent edge on it, cut out some scales from scrap pieces of oak, mounted with t-nuts, and then spent a week applying Danish oil to the scales. That was about 15 years ago, and it's been with me on every camping trip (and several backpacking trips) since.

gtkFfea.jpg

H2sdpkn.jpg

cDlGNW4.jpg

zMMuPh4.jpg

Last time I searched, I wasn't able to find much on it. I found a useful article on ScoutKnives.net about a very similar Boy Scout Hatchet. While mine is not a BSA hatchet, it looks like the non-BSA version of the same hatchet. ScoutKnives has a copy of an ad from 1954 when it was sold for $3.75!

I'm under the impression that this type of hatchet is referred to as a Box Hatchet, and is uniquely suited to unpacking wooden crates. The poll is well-suited as a hammer, the full-tang construction means the whole thing is a prybar, and the nail puller is a nice touch. Steel seems to be pretty good, though I really don't have a lot to compare it to.

The pole is not hardened and is suited only for hammering nothing harder than wood. This model was made circa 1948 until circa 1960, with the stamped trademark indicating it is not an early example of the model.

Nice job on the handle scales.

Last edited:
The pole is not hardened and is suited only for hammering nothing harder than wood. This model was made circa 1948 until circa 1960, with the stamped trademark indicating it if not an early example of the model.

Nice job on the handle scales.

Well, shows what I know! And thanks! They're good from a distance. :)

Back