Bridgeport BoyScout hatchet

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by HeavyHanded, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    This, the first model Boy Scout hand axe by Bridgeport, appears in the April, 1931 edition of Boys' Life. Thus, it appears that Holbrook, and all relying on him, are mistaken as to the earliest date when this official Boy Scout axe was sold.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    garry3 likes this.
  2. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Do you have a picture of this edition? DM

3. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
  4. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Ok, thank you for this reference. DM

5. JoeP01

JoeP01

Jan 29, 2019
    crbnSteeladdict and Square_peg like this.
  6. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    A more recent attempt at a boy-proof axe. Circa 1960-1965 if the original color was red. Yellow came next.

7. JoeP01

JoeP01

Jan 29, 2019
    Is this orange or red?

[​IMG]

(note: icky tape on handle was as-is!)

8. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Those I have look more red, if a bit orangy red. Not sure what is intended with yours but surely not yellow. Repaint?

Tape over rubber handle is common as the kids were tough on those handles. The "kid-proof" axe seems to be as much a myth as the "helpful" IRS.

9. zzyzzogeton

zzyzzogeton

Feb 17, 2013
    When was green the color? I have a wood handle like the OP, and as well as a red handled one, a green handled one and a yellow handled one.

10. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Green was the color of the steel of the heavier wood-scaled-handled model of 1948-1960.

crbnSteeladdict likes this.
  11. Quarterbore

Quarterbore Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 1999
    Is there a good online reference for the history and variations of the Bridgeport Scout Axes?

There is quite a bit here already:

1931 First Bridgeport Boys Axe
    ????
    1948-1960 Green with wood handles
    1960 - 1965 Red “boy proof” handle
    ???? Yellow with “boy proof” handles
    1969 Last Year Made

Also, search for US Patent US1830663A

Were wood grip axes sold at same time as the rubber gripped ones?

I note three forging differences: some have no markings, some have name & address with patient number, some have name & address with no patient number.

I don’t own any Bridgeport’s myself as I grew up with Plumb axes on the farm and just like a wood handle - yet my hammers all have steel handles so perhaps I should have a Bridgeport Boys Axe.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Yankee Josh likes this.
  12. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    The 1934 model was advertised into 1947, but few were made after pearl Harbor due to wartime allocation of steel and energy

The next model appears in 1948 BSA catalogs.

The lighter, red model was 1960-65.

The yellow model was 1965-1969.

Lots of the first two models were purchased by adults ("indestructable"), but few were used by Scouts. The were noticeably heavier and the handle transmitted more impact shock to the user. I was a troop Quartermaster in a troop with 120 registered boys, and the Plumbs with wooden handles were all checked out before a single Bridgeport was reluctantly checked out. "They hurt."