Bring Back The Slysz Bowie?

Held one at a show last year and got it offered to me at a great price. It was a little larger than I like to EDC and I was determined to spend my money on a local maker (which I did). But, the quality of it was apparent. It seems expensive for a Spyderco but when you hold it you get why. I think it would easily be at $400-500 knife as a mid-tech.
very much so, the knife was on the buy list for some time. It looks meh in pictures, specially stock pics. I knew that it was much better than it looks from all the people who owned one saying so. Finally got one, a light user for $260, then within the next few weeks they ended up being discontinued, i felt pretty damn lucky that i got it right before then.

So if it's a pretty sure thing that the Slysz Bowie won't be brought back, is Spyderco contemplating a revised version with a different name?

No but the Slysz Swayback is designed by the same maker, has the same blade steel, and is similarly priced.

I'm all for a "reissue" of the Slysz Bowie, if for no other reason that to undercut the price gouging going on w/the resellers/flippers of the knife.

It is NOT a $500+ knife and I refuse to pay that price for it (even if I can afford it) but if the knife comes in at $300-350 on reissue by Spyderco, I'd buy one (especially since I can buy it at 50% off that price as an OpFocus member). ;)

I'm all for a "reissue" of the Slysz Bowie, if for no other reason that to undercut the price gouging going on w/the resellers/flippers of the knife.

It is NOT a $500+ knife and I refuse to pay that price for it (even if I can afford it) but if the knife comes in at $300-350 on reissue by Spyderco, I'd buy one (especially since I can buy it at 50% off that price as an OpFocus member). ;)

Agreed. A lot of the appeal of the knife I think was that it could be had at a good value. Spyderco still makes some awesome value stuff, the Bowie seems like a great design. Couldn't afford one when they were production though; might consider picking it up if the value was there.

I literally cannot read this without hearing your voice.

I've also been wondering if this could be the reason that Spyderco decimated its high end at the end of last year. With the MAP hike, these already-pricy pieces would have gone from so-so value into hilarious. I mean, the obvious solution there would be to drop MSRP a bit for those pieces, but maybe that's anathema for them or something. So they gut the high end, and introduce some new higher end pieces at SHOT (I hope!) with an MSRP that allows them to be reasonably priced even with the new MAP sheriff in town.

Who knows. But yeah, I'm definitely hoping for the Slysz 2ie. Maybe with a nicer backspacer and a bit of love for the lefties. Who knows though.

Get back to me when it's discontinued and people start freaking out to buy one.

Unlike the Bowie that I'd buy if it was available at a "reasonable" price, I'll never be a buyer of the Swayback, simply because I don't like it.

If the Swayback develops that kind of following (which I think is unlikely), it won't matter to me. So, no need to worry about my "getting back" to you about it.

This was a great model that I missed out on at the time. I'm kind of surprised that it didn't last any longer than it did on the main line up. That folder truly had a lot going for it. It sort of reminded me of the rigid construction of the Chinook III in a way. A lot of guys don't like the heavier models but they don't bother me at all and actually I kind of prefer them in a way.

Can't limit this to just one knife..Lets bring back all Spydercos with Ridiculous / Outrageous prices on the secondary markets so everyone is happy..

Spyderco Tuff.. Spyderco Burch Chubby.. Spyderco Sage 2.. Spyderco Sage 3.. Spydeco Sage 4.. Spyderco Red 4V Shaman.. Spyderco Jade M4 Shaman.. Rivers Edge Cutlery CTS 204P Para 3(seriously..$500 for a Para 3??).. Spyderco 10V K2.. Spyderco Rubicon(Seen the prices on those lately?).. Spyderco Mamba.. Spyderco C67P R.. Spyderco Gayle Bradley 1(getting up there).. Spyderco Gayle Bradley Air.. Spyderco Southard.. Spyderco Laci Szabo.. Spyderco Euroedge.. Spyderco Tighe Stick.. Spyderco Ulize..

Bring em all back so everyone is happy...

I didn’t know many of those were climbing in value.

The Chubby took a while to sell out once discontinued.

Given inflation, new MAP, etc, I’m not sure folks would be happy with the price tag of a SB reissue. (Though I still imagine it would be less than the present secondary market.)

Last edited:
Can't limit this to just one knife..Lets bring back all Spydercos with Ridiculous / Outrageous prices on the secondary markets so everyone is happy..

Spyderco Tuff.. Spyderco Burch Chubby.. Spyderco Sage 2.. Spyderco Sage 3.. Spydeco Sage 4.. Spyderco Red 4V Shaman.. Spyderco Jade M4 Shaman.. Rivers Edge Cutlery CTS 204P Para 3(seriously..$500 for a Para 3??).. Spyderco 10V K2.. Spyderco Rubicon(Seen the prices on those lately?).. Spyderco Mamba.. Spyderco C67P R.. Spyderco Gayle Bradley 1(getting up there).. Spyderco Gayle Bradley Air.. Spyderco Southard.. Spyderco Laci Szabo.. Spyderco Euroedge.. Spyderco Tighe Stick.. Spyderco Ulize..

Bring em all back so everyone is happy...
You left out the Rock Lobster!!

I didn’t know many of those were climbing in value.

The Chubby took a while to sell out once discontinued.

Given inflation, new MAP, etc, I’m not sure folks would be happy with the price tag of a reissue. (Though I still imagine it would be less than the present secondary market.)
The big auction site sold listings tell the tale..

Learned the hard way..When the Tuff went discontinued I stupidly thought "they'll be in stock for awhile"..2 or 3 months went by and was ready to purchase but couldn't find one anywhere and the price had already went up past my comfort zone.

Carry a Sage 2 a lot so when it went discontinued I immediately bought two..one for a backup and one to collect.

Looked at the Slysz Bowie on the big auction site and see two up for bid..one at $760 and another at $510 with five days left to bid. Seems that's the going market value right now.

Back