BROKEN SKULL - shipping now!

So the waiting game begins for which forum sponsor gets it in stock first! It's too bad only BladeHQ has an email notification, at least that I know of. I'm in for at least the blue and maybe an orange.

Bout time!!
Freaken A! I've been looking forward to this!!
Now all we need is a no frills (As in NOT special edition) Voyager in carpenter steel!! :)

Hell ya! Can't wait to watch a dozen videos, think about it for a couple months and eventually pull the trigger!

Well, they ARE in Carpenter steel, but it would be nice to have an XHP option. ;)

Ok, I stand corrected.
I was under the false impression that they were to stay in aus-8.

My bad.

But how much better is XHP than BD1???
They aren't comparable?

If not, that stinks IMO.

The voyager skimps on fancy features and premium handle materials, it shouldn't also skimp on blade steel.
It's THE blue collar model from Cold Steel IMO.
The first one I had, had a vg-1 blade (gave it to my pops) and then I downgraded to the aus-8, but gained a Tri-Ad lock with the newer model...
:-/
I'm hoping the BD-1 is a big upgrade to the AUS-8.
I'm glad that XHP is making it into more blades.

Ok, I stand corrected.

My bad.

They aren't comparable?

If not, that stinks IMO.

The voyager skimps on fancy features and premium handle materials, it shouldn't also skimp on blade steel.
The first one I had, had a vg-1 blade (gave it to my pops) and then I downgraded to the aus-8, but gained a Tri-Ad lock with the newer model...

XHP is a pretty big jump from BD1. I like BD1, but I would place it about on par with VG10, whereas XHP is much more comparable to S30V. It's not a big move from AUS8 to BD1, but it keeps the price down, moves to a US steel and helps set the Recon 1 further apart from the Voyager.

Ok, I stand corrected.

My bad.

They aren't comparable?

If not, that stinks IMO.

BD-1 isn't really that big an upgrade from AUS-8. It's significantly lower than XHP. The Voyager line skimping on blade steel it pretty much one of the main REASONS it's the "blue collar model" for Cold Steel. Start upping the steel to XHP or whatever, and you're also gonna start upping the price to $100 or so, which knocks it out of the running for many of those blue collar buyers. If you want something with a higher end steel, buy an XHP Recon 1 or Recon 1 XL, or one of these new Broken Skulls.

XHP is a pretty big jump from BD1. I like BD1, but I would place it about on par with VG10, whereas XHP is much more comparable to S30V. It's not a big move from AUS8 to BD1, but it keeps the price down, moves to a US steel and helps set the Recon 1 further apart from the Voyager.

Well, the voyager is (and probably ever will be) my favorite folding knife.
I'm glad it's still affordable, I don't really care if I get g-10 or good frn
The price increase for g-10/micarta in a folder is usually what persuades me to get the budget models.
I just think it'd be cool to have an inexpensive XHP, tri-ad folder in frn, perfect cost/value ratio... Just my $0.02

My pops and I are each getting a broken skull.
I'm liking coyote brown.
Which color are you guys going to buy?

The price increase for g-10/micarta in a folder is usually what persuades me to get the budget models.
I just think it'd be cool to have an inexpensive XHP, tri-ad folder in frn, perfect cost/value ratio... Just my $0.02

I'm liking coyote brown.

Going orange on this one.

I'm liking coyote brown.

Orange first, and if i like it enough, then blue, and pink if my wife wants it

I wonder if this will be competition for the Spyderco Endura? It's around $68 and the BS seems to run around $84. For $16 more you get US G10, US steel (which by all indications CTS-XHP is a better steel than VG10), and DLC. Hopefully whomever gets one and posts pics has an Endura for comparison. I've been checking all my favorite sites for one but none say that they're in stock yet. And it will be blue for me as I previously posted;)

I wonder if this will be competition for the Spyderco Endura? It's around $68 and the BS seems to run around $84. For $16 more you get US G10, US steel (which by all indications CTS-XHP is a better steel than VG10), and DLC. Hopefully whomever gets one and posts pics has an Endura for comparison. I've been checking all my favorite sites for one but none say that they're in stock yet. And it will be blue for me as I previously posted;)

It's also slightly lighter and slightly larger than the Endura which, to me, is crazy. In my collection it will be in direct competition with my Pacific Salt for pocket time. They're different enough that I plan to keep both, but this knife really looks like a winner.

According to the specs listed for the Broken Skull, it's closer in size to a Spyderco Military. That being said, I ended up cancelling my pre-order from Knife Center for the Broken Skull. After thinking it over, it was very similar to other folders I already own. Instead, I purchased a 4" Recon 1 Tanto with green G-10 handle scales. I didn't have any tanto bladed folders and figured it would be nice to get something different! :):thumbup:

Last edited:
Back