Buck 102 Woodsman Observation

m.and

Gold Member
I am thinking about starting a collection of one of my favorite Buck knives, the 102 Woodsman. As I was looking through some old catalogs on the BCCI website I came across some interesting information: it appears the 102 is one of two of the longest running Buck knives continually produced under the same name and model number (the 105 Pathfinder is the other model). I found evidence of the model number 102 used for 4" bladed knife as far back as 1949 and the name Woodsman('s Pal) first used in a 1951 catalog. The 119 Special doesn't even show up until 1956. That's a pretty impressive life span for a little knife.

Best,
Matthew

I am thinking about starting a collection of one of my favorite Buck knives, the 102 Woodsman. As I was looking through some old catalogs on the BCCI website I came across some interesting information: it appears the 102 is one of two of the longest running Buck knives continually produced under the same name and model number (the 105 Pathfinder is the other model). I found evidence of the model number 102 used for 4" bladed knife as far back as 1949 and the name Woodsman('s Pal) first used in a 1951 catalog. The 119 Special doesn't even show up until 1956. That's a pretty impressive life span for a little knife.

Best,
Matthew

Cute lil' knives, Matt, the Woodsmen. My old 102 - made in the sixties.

8F9FC675-C304-4F46-95A2-3FEE02F1C038.jpeg

I believe the 119 is the original Buck design but wasn't designated a model number until later on...I'm not sure though there are others here that know the history better than I...

I don't have a 102, but I keep looking at them thinking it would be the perfect belt knife for all my hunting needs.

I find the Buck 102 to be a perfect Bird & Trout fixed blade - breasting ducks in this picture. I do find the small handle to be fatiguing to my hands if used for bigger chores like cleaning whitetail (I switch to the Buck 118 for that job). Of course that could be an issue with my hands, a younger man might not have that issue. OH

Cleaning_ducks_12-18-17.jpg

I got my first #102 woodsman from an old gun & knife - tackle shop my friends and I used to frequent most often in the early 1970's when I was still in high school(brings back some memories now that I think about it:cool:).. Still have it, very well worn and used, sitting in the kitchen drawer along with all my other flatware. Cannot beat it for food prep, field dressing a buck or even filleting a largemouth bass in a pinch.. I've got another newer one I purchased somewhere or other in the late 1990's or early 2000's that has minimal use that I have put away just in case the first one ever goes or gets lost or whatever.

Anthony

I love the 102. A perfect size for hunting, fishing, and EDC tasks. I am quite partial to the look as well. :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for the stories and pictures. This is turning into a real Woodsman appreciation thread. For me, the 102 is my go-to fixed blade for hiking and light duty camp chores (great for food prep). I just picked up a 117 (phenolic handle version) that I really like, but I doubt it will replace the 102.

Best,
Matthew

Thanks to everyone for the stories and pictures. This is turning into a real Woodsman appreciation thread. For me, the 102 is my go-to fixed blade for hiking and light duty camp chores (great for food prep). I just picked up a 117 (phenolic handle version) that I really like, but I doubt it will replace the 102.

Best,
Matthew

Would you be willing to throw up a side by side photo with the 102 and 117? I was thinking the handle on the 117 might just be a little easier to control.

Would you be willing to throw up a side by side photo with the 102 and 117? I was thinking the handle on the 117 might just be a little easier to control.

I would be happy to. Give me until tomorrow afternoon so I have better light. The handle of the 117 is slightly larger - it is the same handle as the 118 and 105. I think it is a very comfortable size.

Thanks. I looked at the 105 but thought the blade was just a bit too long for my preference.

I felt the same way about the 105. And as much as I love the 102 the 117 really hits a sweet spot for me with the slightly larger handle and 4.5” blade. I’m surprised more people aren’t singing it’s praises.

Back