Buck 102 Woodsman Observation

Thank you. I took that when my 117 arrived back in January - all three knives have the same "look", only the sizes varied. OH

The 117 appears a bit thicker in the blade. Have you used it on any game yet?
Buck 119, 117, 102. OH

Buck_119_-_117_-102.jpg

The 102 was the first nice knife I ever bought. I was a scout in Alaska circa '78. Bought it at the Elmendorf AFB BX with my paper route money. Used it for years, never let me down. I've got it tucked away in a safe place, and a late '80s model has taken its place. A great knife.

Reactions: 315
Bert, I reconsidered and believe the handle is ebony and changed my text but now I am unsure about my memory. I agree about the dating. I am going to have to dig around the basement man cave and find the knife to examine again but not tonight. /Roger

Roger, I would say more like mid-50s. Starting in 1957, lignum vitae was replaced with ebony, which lasted until about 1961. Bert

OK, you were right Bert. I found the knife this morning. I had it identified in my notes as Lignum Vitae c.1955.

Last edited:
Buck 119, 117, 102. OH

Buck_119_-_117_-102.jpg
That sure is a pretty picture.
Thanks for sharing!
Seeing the 117 has me stoked.
Wonderful that it has a finger choil.
It probably helps plenty with securing a better grip.
as it also extends the handle length...
better yet. no jutting tang in the way of honing towards a clean and perfect edge.
Only wished more companies would go through the extra step of having
a semi circular edge choil bored out right at the point where the edge meets the tang.
http://knifenews.com/choil-or-no-choil/

The 117 appears a bit thicker in the blade. Have you used it on any game yet?

No, I bought it in January, after deer season closed. I have turkey season coming up next week, so I might use it then, however I really prefer an older Buck 121 for breasting a turkey - the flex and length work well to get all the meat off the breastbone. The 117 is a bit thicker than the old 121 in that regard - it is not going to flex. It'll probably clean fish before it gets around to cleaning a whitetail. OH

Ps G-man, I noticed that too, reminded me a bit of an early Case Hammerhead with the generous choil. The 102 would benefit from that treatment, as it has minimal handle length.

I really like the 102. It is one of my favorite knives, as I have said before. The one issue it has is that overly short handle. I would think Buck would remedy this.

I don't have a 102, but I keep looking at them thinking it would be the perfect belt knife for all my hunting needs.
I thought so too until I discovered the 118. I really like the blade geometry of the 118.

I hope they keep the 102 like it is as I have Grandkids starting to hunt and feel it's perfect for kids to handle and keep under control.

I agree with you Dogg; the Buck 102 is exactly what it was designed to be and your use with your grandkids is important for safety and their knowledge. There are plenty of Buck options for use with a man size handle (105, 118, 121, and now the 117). OH

I agree with you Dogg; the Buck 102 is exactly what it was designed to be and your use with your grandkids is important for safety and their knowledge. There are plenty of Buck options for use with a man size handle (105, 118, 121, and now the 117). OH
OH, Is the 117 roughly the same size as the 103 but with a 119 style blade?

Like some others here, the Woodsman is the first knife I ever bought. I saved up my lawn mowing money and sent off for it in 1976.

A great all-around size. The Woodsman paired with a good hatchet is an ideal set up.

We're doing the One-Knife Challenge on BCUSA this November. Have to use one knife for everything through the month... tough for I knife nuts like us!

I'm going with the 102.

Back