1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Buck 102 Woodsman Observation

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by m.and, Apr 10, 2018.

1. m.and

m.and Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Great photo Old Hunter. That shows all three handle sizes nicely.

2. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Thank you. I took that when my 117 arrived back in January - all three knives have the same "look", only the sizes varied. OH

3. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    The 117 appears a bit thicker in the blade. Have you used it on any game yet?

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  4. Liberando

Liberando Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2010
    The 102 was the first nice knife I ever bought. I was a scout in Alaska circa '78. Bought it at the Elmendorf AFB BX with my paper route money. Used it for years, never let me down. I've got it tucked away in a safe place, and a late '80s model has taken its place. A great knife.

315 likes this.
  5. DeSotoSky

DeSotoSky Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Bert, I reconsidered and believe the handle is ebony and changed my text but now I am unsure about my memory. I agree about the dating. I am going to have to dig around the basement man cave and find the knife to examine again but not tonight. /Roger

OK, you were right Bert. I found the knife this morning. I had it identified in my notes as Lignum Vitae c.1955.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  6. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    That sure is a pretty picture.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Seeing the 117 has me stoked.
    Wonderful that it has a finger choil.
    It probably helps plenty with securing a better grip.
    as it also extends the handle length...
    better yet. no jutting tang in the way of honing towards a clean and perfect edge.
    Only wished more companies would go through the extra step of having
    a semi circular edge choil bored out right at the point where the edge meets the tang.
    http://knifenews.com/choil-or-no-choil/

7. Old Hunter

Jul 12, 2012
    No, I bought it in January, after deer season closed. I have turkey season coming up next week, so I might use it then, however I really prefer an older Buck 121 for breasting a turkey - the flex and length work well to get all the meat off the breastbone. The 117 is a bit thicker than the old 121 in that regard - it is not going to flex. It'll probably clean fish before it gets around to cleaning a whitetail. OH

Ps G-man, I noticed that too, reminded me a bit of an early Case Hammerhead with the generous choil. The 102 would benefit from that treatment, as it has minimal handle length.

GIRLYmann likes this.
  8. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    I really like the 102. It is one of my favorite knives, as I have said before. The one issue it has is that overly short handle. I would think Buck would remedy this.

9. garddogg56

garddogg56

Jan 9, 2012
    I hope they keep the 102 like it is as I have Grandkids starting to hunt and feel it's perfect for kids to handle and keep under control.

pjsjr likes this.
  10. Haebbie

Haebbie Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Some more 102

Haebbie

3A9523D0-F875-4C20-A91B-3E317BF73B42.jpeg

11. zakjak221

zakjak221

Apr 3, 2010
    I agree with OH,in the fact that I like the 102,but for extended butcherin sessions,the 105 or 118 wins!:thumbsup:
    Guess the 117 is a good option too.

Mike Kerins likes this.
  12. RevolverGuy

RevolverGuy

Aug 19, 2015
    I completely agree with this. It's my dedicated fishing blade. 102 is close in size to the 110 folding hunter but it's easier to clean and has that very handy finger guard.

Old Hunter likes this.
  13. Mike Kerins

Mike Kerins Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 14, 2004
    I thought so too until I discovered the 118. I really like the blade geometry of the 118.

14. Old Hunter

Jul 12, 2012
    I agree with you Dogg; the Buck 102 is exactly what it was designed to be and your use with your grandkids is important for safety and their knowledge. There are plenty of Buck options for use with a man size handle (105, 118, 121, and now the 117). OH

15. garddogg56

garddogg56

Jan 9, 2012
    Thanx OH. :thumbsup:As you know there are plenty of other Buck options.

16. SharpieB

SharpieB Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2017
    OH, Is the 117 roughly the same size as the 103 but with a 119 style blade?

17. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    IMG_20180428_175727.jpg
    The 117 is about an inch longer than the 103. Closer to the 118. It's a great size, and my favorite Buck sheath knife.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    SharpieB, pjsjr and sassafrassdogs3 like this.