Buck 112 Ranger Pro

Sign me up for one of those ebony, 420hc, drop point, finger groove 112's.

....when you find one.

I'm with bucksway in his repeated requests for the 112 drop point option in the custom shop.

I think the clip point is more user friendly.
The drop point is cool.

Thanks.

🤔 Sign me up for one of those ebony, 420hc, drop point, finger groove 112's.

....when you find one.

I'm with bucksway in his repeated requests for the 112 drop point option in the custom shop.

I think the clip point is more user friendly.
The drop point is cool.

Thanks.
I mean buying both a finger grove and a drop point combined would be the same as a custom shop. I could do a little blade swap.. that'll have to wait until I get home haha

I prefer the nickel silver hardware on the Pro model over the brass on the standard model but I also like the drop point blade better than the clip blade.
IMG_5923.JPG
There are 112's out there with nickel silver that aren't Pro models but they can be tricky to find.
IMG_5909.JPGIMG_5999.JPG

The drop point works great for field dressing game. I like a nice clip point also. When I was in the service I didn't carry a very expensive knife. There was always that chance of it getting lost or stolen. Thanks for your service.

In case you don't know, Buck offers a military discount. The standard 112 is $40 that way, $61.50 for the Ranger Pro
Hmm I just went and check and I must have done something funky. It has me signed up for a veterans discount not the service pro. I'm not sure if those are the same?

FWIW I really prefer the clip point & finger groove on the 112’s. I appreciate that S30V holds an edge longer, but I enjoy being able to sharpen or touch up my 420HC on the bottom of a good ceramic mug, or the top of the driver’s window, or….

I’m signed up for one of the discounts, but don’t remember the difference between them.

Whichever one you buy, it should be a great lock blade.

I prefer the nickel silver hardware on the Pro model over the brass on the standard model but I also like the drop point blade better than the clip blade.
View attachment 1642216
There are 112's out there with nickel silver that aren't Pro models but they can be tricky to find.
View attachment 1642217View attachment 1642218
Those pictures make it hard to decide between a drop point and a clip. How do the two tips compare. Is the drop point noticable beefier?

Those pictures make it hard to decide between a drop point and a clip. How do the two tips compare. Is the drop point noticable beefier?
I have both clip and drop point 112 and 110. The drop point has a stronger tip and works nice for skinning game. And yes it does have a beefier tip.

When I place the clip blade over the drop point the cutting edge is exactly the same sweep to the tip but the spine is clipped away with a swedge like false edge. So the clip has a more delicate tip but it’s still plenty strong enough for regular cutting and piercing.

I like to carry my 112 drop point in conjunction with my 117 small special clip point. That way I have both for which I want to work with. When I’m carrying my 110 clip point I go with the 104 compadre drop point. If you can get both.

Remember Buck has half a dozen or more different blade profiles for drop point 112's..Some might be better described as a spear point. Bucks 450 and 482 profiles have been used both for blade swaps and factory runs. One of my favorite profiles is a high radius grind like on the 2013 Boone and Crockett LE 112/113 set. The take apart 112 makes it easy to swap out different styles but finding bare blades is not. One day some day Buck will let you build a Custom 112 with a drop point. When they do I will order one with nickel silver, finger grooves with no rivets in Black Palm wood..

Hmm I just went and check and I must have done something funky. It has me signed up for a veterans discount not the service pro. I'm not sure if those are the same?
I have the same question. I joined BCCI recently and don’t know if I should switch or not.

I have the same question. I joined BCCI recently and don’t know if I should switch or not.
Back in 2018 I had the same question in which I should choose when applying online...Veterans or BCCI discount. The response I received from Buck via email was "You’ll get a better discount as a BCCI member".

Well my 112 FG arrived today, but I am returning it for another example. This one came with an overground blade and very poorly done handle work, and a blade that when closed hugs one side. This one should not have left the factory.

The ebony was nice though, and I'm looking forward to getting a better finished knife.

Well my 112 FG arrived today, but I am returning it for another example. This one came with an overground blade and very poorly done handle work, and a blade that when closed hugs one side. This one should not have left the factory.

The ebony was nice though, and I'm looking forward to getting a better finished knife.
I'm sorry to here that. I thankful usually have pretty good luck with Buck. Im sure the next one will be great.

I'm sorry to here that. I thankful usually have pretty good luck with Buck. Im sure the next one will be great.
It happens. They are hand sharpened on a belt and the handles are also hand finished.

I am guessing this one was done right about quitting time on a Friday.

I hope the next one is better, but I will survive until the replacement arrives. Lord knows I have more knives than I need. :)

It happens. They are hand sharpened on a belt and the handles are also hand finished.

I am guessing this one was done right about quitting time on a Friday.

I hope the next one is better, but I will survive until the replacement arrives. Lord knows I have more knives than I need. :)
I'm not sure what's worse, the friday afternoon knife or the monday morning one. 🤣

Back in 2018 I had the same question in which I should choose when applying online...Veterans or BCCI discount. The response I received from Buck via email was "You’ll get a better discount as a BCCI member".
I called Buck and asked today and was told they are both the same.

Back