Buck Buck 112 Slim Select:

I wish someone would give me this in a Christmas exchange, as opposed to the other stuff you get.

Been carrying this almost daily since August of 2019. I like it. I suppose it is not as good as what some people here like. But for $35 it is a good working knife. The blade does have lots of scratches.

In fact I found this cause I was googling on buying one for someone for Christmas. I didn't realize how bad of person I was.

I am a big fan of Buck. Good price point and American made. I don't care if Chinese make a better grind. I don't buy Chinese, when I can buy American.

Will probably also make people gringe when I am giving he Lansky C sharpener with it. Not hair shaving. But nice for knock around knife, and can touch up quick. Again not impressive sharp. Digs into by nail when I drag it, but not shaving hairs. Also hasn't come out of my pocket like my Kershaw leeks would. Which is why I am carrying a cheap knife daily.

$25 made in USA knife not as good as 25 dollar made in China knife? Who knew? What does a slave in a China factory make? $5 a day? They can put man hours into finishing. If you pay $23 for that knife at wallyworld what do you think Buck got for it? 12 maybe 15 dollars? After material cost, how much hand fit/finish do you think they can put into each knife for that? If you have to have a "Quality $25 knife" by all means by Chinese and fund the slave labor industry. If you want to support US jobs you will have to spend a little more. That's never been a secret. It shouldn't be a surprise.

I bought one of these in Red for $30 in September in the clamshell packaging from the local Bass Pro, and have carried it alternatively with a RAT ii D-2 and Mini-Grip. I liked it enough that I then bought another one this month in Gray on sale for $21 for my son in Buck's standard small box from SMKW. I get him a knife every year as a stocking stuffer. Both knives were sharp out of the box (or package in the case of the first one), had no blade play, and the actions were acceptable. Not exactly "buttery smooth", but fully functional, safe, and reasonable for a knife at this price point. One of the blades was very slightly off center, the second one was in my mind perfectly centered. The earlier one I've carried has cut up boxes and cardboard, hacked through some small green branches a time or two, and taken on any reasonable task without any issues. The only sharpening it has required has been one quick stropping. My wife stole it from me to have for her own personal use. So I bought a 112 Slim Pro on sale for $63, at the same time I bought the second Slim Select from SMKW. Very well made, very sharp, the Brown Micarta is quite attractive. At that price point for that knife with that blade steel, and that handle material, it's a wow knife, and a great value. It's definitely the best looking knife I carry, and it is super sharp, well put together, and just has the overall look and feel of a quality knife. Proud this one's made in the USA. In my opinion, both are very good values, especially at their sale prices.

I bought the 110 version when they came out, and wouldn’t touch another with a 10’ pole. It didn’t take long to develop very noticeable side to side play, and I wasn’t using it any harder than I do any other folder. My wife likes lockbacks, so it now lives it’s life in a kitchen drawer.
Made in the USA is something I can definitely get behind, but this one is not a good example of an American made knife.

I been carrying for 1.5 years. I just wonder if people here, have some really good knives, and have that expectation of $25 knife. Other than how sharp it is, I have never inspected it.

It does annoy me how the thumb screw rattles. I thought knife was loose at first. But hasn't fallen off

Mostly just opens Amazon packages though.

I’ve had one for about a year, and it’s been my my main work knife for the last few months. Mine came plenty sharp, and while it’s not perfectly centered it’s functionally great. Sucks to hear there’s a few bad ones getting out, I’d definitely contact Buck about it!

Just got mine in today. I took the clip off so I can just put it in my pocket. Its worth the price although a little stiff,and came sharp, I have proof lol.

Attachments

• EC80580A-DE75-4894-8A08-96B2A2F8CC29.jpeg
    EC80580A-DE75-4894-8A08-96B2A2F8CC29.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 24
  • D8881C46-2BE4-4B6D-8177-F54BF06B5F5F.jpeg
    D8881C46-2BE4-4B6D-8177-F54BF06B5F5F.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 25
My 112 Slim Select has spent 60hrs a week for the last 12 months in my work vest, cutting plastic, cardboard, rope, the occasional 4" canvas cargo strap, as well as my lunch!
I cannot say enough good things about it for the price.
I paid $29 Canadian. With exchange at the time of purchase it works out to roughly $23 U.S.
Budget beauty!

I have the 110 version in neon green. Owned it about a year I think. Grind matches side to side, came reasonably sharp and so far has held a usable edge. Just perceptable side play, none up and down. I use it as my garden knife. Cuts twine, opens potting soil bags, harvests heads of lettuce, etc. No hard use. For the $20 something I paid I am pleased for the tasks I had in mind. An average knife and supporting USA workers. Much less pleased with my carbon steel Buck 110 dealer exclusive with crazy blade play at around $80 and a few USA made slip joints I tried. I think I may have gotten lucky with my cheapie but the rest of my Bucks sort of turned me off of them now

I get so tired of complaints about blade centering. Its the go-to thing all the Millennial knife snobs on YouTube love to point out.

Also: Do you or don't you know better now? Is the "nipple" at the lock bar and tang caused when the two were "smooshed" together when they were "still forge hot, and then allowed to cool that way"?

.......really.........😵‍💫

It's a $30, simple and straightforward, American-made knife in a sea of $10 straightforward, imported crap and $150+ overpriced, over-engineered imported crap.

I'll take the Buck knife, in fact, I've already bought 3 of these. They are great knives for the money.

I tried to love 112 Slim Select, but it never made it over the hump between "this works" and "I love this thing." If it had the same blade as the regular 112, I'd still have it and I might be using it right now. On the bright side, I had a buddy who didn't have a decent knife and now he does. He's really pleased with it, so the team earned victory!

I have the Buck 110 version and it also has the small humps where the blade and lock meet. Looks like they did not do grinding/sanding across the junction. It makes sense since the handle material is not a hard as the brass used in the regular 110. My guess is it is easier to damage the handles buzzing across the lock and blade joint. Does not hurt the function of the knife and I don't mind it at all.

An honest review that's bound to ruffle a few feathers. The glaring imperfections are indeed troublesome, and stand out in the accompanying photos. Buck's QC really dropped the ball, and the ramp pimple is a real eye sore. It serves no purpose, so it should've been omitted.

Have you asked Buck if there is a purpose for it? Did they tell you it "serves no purpose?"

A purpose for it was discussed in the Buck forum, but I don't remember.

I have one of these and I’m not impressed by the “quality” of it. If it didn’t say “Buck” on it I’d probably let it pass (or never have picked it up), but it is a Buck and not a particularly good one.
Before you get on me for not loving it, realize that Buck doesn’t think much of it either. If they did it wouldn’t have been $20.
The factory grind was utterly awful. Uneven. And rough! It looked they stopped about halfway through a 320 grit stone. It will never be ok, although it is sharp (now).

On the positive side:
The handle is solid and secure, with enough texture to hold on to.
It’s even got a thumb “jimp” (yes, just one), aka the “jimple”.
It makes a decent garage/garden knife, it’s handled everything I’ve asked of it, it’s not fragile or beautiful and so I don’t mind giving it the dirty, ugly jobs.
And it was $20.

Well the thumbscrew fell off. It was always loose. Little annoying. Still been carrying it though.

Back