Leather Buck Sheaths

I think I remember that stuff. It had a square sponge at the top and you used it to dab the liquid on.
I remember that too, it was a Kiwi product, liquid in a tall container and used the sponge - which you needed to press against the boot to get it flowing. I used it on the edges of my soles and Lincoln Wax to get a spit shine on the boot leather of my Corcoran garrison boots. Used SnoSeal on my field boots (Graf Boots as we called them), they didn’t shine like the Corcoran's, but they were much more water resistant and lined with Thinsulate. OH

A good correct procedure would be fiebings leather dye dabbed on.
A rough and ready method would be a black permanent marker or felt tip and then refinish with a way type leather treatment.
Polish is not the best option in my view due to probability of boot polish rubbing onto your trousers.
YMMV

I think I’m going to pass on the permanent marker method.
Yesterday I ordered some Galco leather cleaner and conditioner along with Fiebings pro dye and saddle soap. Gonna give it a try and see what I can do. The sheaths aren’t that bad so it shouldn’t be to tuff a job.

Yesterday I ordered some Galco leather cleaner and conditioner along with Fiebings pro dye and saddle soap. Gonna give it a try and see what I can do. The sheaths aren’t that bad so it shouldn’t be to tuff a job.
Good decision!

After you have applied the dye quickly slick it over with something hard and smooth, that will knock back the "bobbly bits" and give a better finish overall when waxed.

I love the look of the worn Teacore type leather myself so I would just give them some obenaufs LP and call it good, but that's just me.

Do that and you'll have something that a lot of people would pay good money to replicate.

Remember that saddle soap is just a cleaner not a conditioner, it will take all the existing oils / conditioners out of the leather and you'll want to make sure you condition the leather afterwards.

Be sure to lather the saddle soap up really well ( use your dauber brush in the lid of the can to create a lather ) and wipe off asap after scrubbing, then wipe down with a damp rag to clean off the left over residue.
Let the leather dry thoroughly before conditioning, I like obenaufs but there are many products.
Snoseal, Huberds shoe grease, Neatsfoot oil, Chamberlains leather milk, Bick4, and many more.

It’s been forever since I needed it but didn’t Kiwi make some liquid shoe polish. If I remember correctly it sorta worked like a dye. I’d use it in the Marines when coming out of the field. My boot toes would get pretty scuffed up and I’d use that to blacken the areas of leather where the brown showed through before using the paste type polish.
Was that the stuff with the sponge applicator on top of the bottle? I used the same stuff for the same reason. I think it would work perfect on those sheaths.

They still make it. I used to rinse out the sponge after use so the polish/dye wouldn’t dry in the sponge and make it hard and unusable. Just make sure the spring loaded valve is fully seated/closed before rinsing. And wash the sink out before it dries. :)

41147CAF-6162-43ED-9A15-9365E773E2E4.jpeg

Was that the stuff with the sponge applicator on top of the bottle? I used the same stuff for the same reason. I think it would work perfect on those sheaths.
Things have certainly changed. I was in the Marines from 1966-1970. I was never really all that spit & polish, but we'd have gotten 30 days of KP if we ever got caught with that stuff.:)

Things have certainly changed. I was in the Marines from 1966-1970. I was never really all that spit & polish, but we'd have gotten 30 days of KP if we ever got caught with that stuff.:)
There have been some changes, indeed! Who would have ever guessed the Corps would divest of tanks in order to gain the personnel and financial overhead required to develop and field an anti-ship missile capability?!

When I was in, we only used the liquid Kiwi stuff to blacken bare leather before going over it with traditional shoe polish - it was a good base coat for field boots. Garrison boots still got a spit shine like black leather shoes - especially when I was at a joint USMC-Navy schoolhouse in Pensacola. We went the extra mile to show the Sailors a thing or two. :)

I was also in when we transitioned to the brown suede construction worker boots. That's another matter entirely!

Semper Fidelis, my brothers!

There have been some changes, indeed! Who would have ever guessed the Corps would divest of tanks in order to gain the personnel and financial overhead required to develop and field an anti-ship missile capability?!

When I was in, we only used the liquid Kiwi stuff to blacken bare leather before going over it with traditional shoe polish - it was a good base coat for field boots. Garrison boots still got a spit shine like black leather shoes - especially when I was at a joint USMC-Navy schoolhouse in Pensacola. We went the extra mile to show the Sailors a thing or two. :)

I was also in when we transitioned to the brown suede construction worker boots. That's another matter entirely!

Semper Fidelis, my brothers!
When I got back from my trip to SE Asia we were allowed to wear jungle boots if we had them, and nobody seemed to care about how they looked.
Funny story: When I got back & went home on leave, I put my seabag, with all my uniforms, in my Mom's attic. When I went to my duty station in CA, I told them the airlines lost my seabag. I never had to stand an inspection the entire time I had left, and was told to disappear whenever there was a junk-on-the-bunk inspection in the barracks. They issued me utilities & boots, free of charge whenever I needed them. When I got out, they reimbursed me for the gear that the airlines "lost.":)
And here's a pic of a Buck knife.......... just because:
Image 1.jpg

Back