Bugei vs Dynasty Forge

Check out this article on Niku:

http://bugei.com/niku.html

Basically it seems that Hanwei blades fall into the category of blade profile B in Figure 2.

A blade with full Niku would not have a "straight line" profile from the Shinogi to the Ha but a rather convex shape instead.

Check out this article on Niku:

http://bugei.com/niku.html

Basically it seems that Hanwei blades fall into the category of blade profile B in Figure 2.

A blade with full Niku would not have a "straight line" profile from the Shinogi to the Ha but a rather convex shape instead.

Some are "B" some are "C", the Hanwei catalog shows the difference between the "elite" profile and the "xl" profile. I don't think that I would like "full" niku. Keith isn't a cutter, AFAIK, has never been a cutter. When you look at CAS Hanwei blades as a cutter, there is a certain predisposition to use them hard, as they are not heirlooms. You WANT that blade to be as sharp as it can be, because there is almost zero chance that most collectors or cutters are going to spend any serious coin on getting and maintaining a sharper edge than a CAS Hanwei blade comes with because of costs. Sword polishing, even basic work from moderately skilled polishers is pretty darned expensive. $25.00/inch is cheap....that is around $750.00 for most blades.

I have only seen "hamaguri" as reference to the shape Keith is mentioning, which is also called the "clam" or "appleseed" shape. There is an analogy in Western bladesmithing that calls it a "cannel" grind or shape.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I had and used the Bugei Samurai katana; it is very strong, but a tad heavy for most folks. I ended up selling it.
I've owned the Bugei Wave katana for about ten years now. I've cut with it many times, and have only had to sharpen it by lightly touching it up a couple of times. I would recommend Bugei swords to anyone willing to spend that much cash on a sword. The Swedish Powdered Steel they use is very durable, and the swords are put together very well. The Wave katana from Bugei is fast, strong, and sharp...despite many poor cuts in the past, my blade has never taken a bend. When I first got it years ago, I tested it on a few 2" oak dowels...the blade was flawless afterword...no chipping at all, and still sharp. Out of the two Bugei swords I've owned, the handles were both way too tight. They shimmed the hell out my wave's handle, but I was able to give it a more proper fit. I choose the leather handle wrap, and it's still as tight as the day I got it. I can't imagine you would be disappointed at all with your purchase. The only thing that sucked was it took 7 months to get it. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

I had and used the Bugei Samurai katana; it is very strong, but a tad heavy for most folks. I ended up selling it.
I've owned the Bugei Wave katana for about ten years now. I've cut with it many times, and have only had to sharpen it by lightly touching it up a couple of times. I would recommend Bugei swords to anyone willing to spend that much cash on a sword. The Swedish Powdered Steel they use is very durable, and the swords are put together very well. The Wave katana from Bugei is fast, strong, and sharp...despite many poor cuts in the past, my blade has never taken a bend. When I first got it years ago, I tested it on a few 2" oak dowels...the blade was flawless afterword...no chipping at all, and still sharp. Out of the two Bugei swords I've owned, the handles were both way too tight. They shimmed the hell out my wave's handle, but I was able to give it a more proper fit. I choose the leather handle wrap, and it's still as tight as the day I got it. I can't imagine you would be disappointed at all with your purchase. The only thing that sucked was it took 7 months to get it. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

I actually bought/ordered 3 swords after I made this thread.

Hanwei Bushido
Hanewi Oni
Bugei Peace

Haven't cut anything yet as I'm getting ready to move and don't want to start ordering mats, cutting stands, etc just yet.

.....don't want to start ordering mats, cutting stands, etc just yet.

You are way better off building your own cutting stand, it will cost you a 1/3rd of what you will pay for the product alone, and you won't have to pay for shipping charges.

Good luck on your move, wherever it may take you.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I actually bought/ordered 3 swords after I made this thread.

Hanwei Bushido
Hanewi Oni
Bugei Peace

Haven't cut anything yet as I'm getting ready to move and don't want to start ordering mats, cutting stands, etc just yet.

I love the Bugei Peace katana; I wish they offered it as a Daisho. In overall fit and finish, how would you say the Bugei Peace compares to the other Hanwei swords?

I love the Bugei Peace katana; I wish they offered it as a Daisho. In overall fit and finish, how would you say the Bugei Peace compares to the other Hanwei swords?

It will be several months until I find out. I hope it is considerably better as my Bushido Katana has a ton of saya rattle. I thought the Oni had none, but if I press laterally hard enough I can get it to make a bit of noise too but I could definitely live with it. I hope the Bugei is perfect in the fit and finish department.

It will be several months until I find out. I hope it is considerably better as my Bushido Katana has a ton of saya rattle. I thought the Oni had none, but if I press laterally hard enough I can get it to make a bit of noise too but I could definitely live with it. I hope the Bugei is perfect in the fit and finish department.

Yeah, Bugei really likes to make their customers wait; that's the only reason I haven't bought one of Howard Clark's customs. I was about to place an order for one years ago, but they told me it would be a 48 month wait...yeah, no thanks. I ordered the Wave instead, and even that was 7 months.

Anyway, my Bugei Wave has no saya rattle at all....these are the little things that Bugei prides themselves on.

I'm excited for you, and I don't even know you. :D The Peace katana is an excellent choice, and probably the most sought after of all Bugei's swords.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Normally I am not interested in swords with Hi so it seems odd that I would order one that has two.

It just seems so unique compared to the other production Katana out there and I really liked the look of both the blade and fittings.

Yeah, I'm with you on the fullers; never been a fan myself, but these bo-hi are rather shallow. The sori is also a little shallow, but I've heard the balance is excellent. It should be a fast blade that is easy to handle, and probably an excellent Iaido katana. I love how tall the blade is from spine to edge, and the overall blade shape.

Please post pictures and review of it, when it arrives. :eagerness:

Yeah, I'm with you on the fullers; never been a fan myself, but these bo-hi are rather shallow. The sori is also a little shallow, but I've heard the balance is excellent. It should be a fast blade that is easy to handle, and probably an excellent Iaido katana. I love how tall the blade is from spine to edge, and the overall blade shape.

Those are pretty much the same reasons it appealed to me also. The height from mune to ha gives it a pleasing shape, particularly the kissaki.

Finally got my Peace Sword...........long wait turned out to be a very long wait.

I ordered the 30/14 version but it still moves quickly and feels light. It looks just as good or better than the pictures/videos that Keith Larman posted on their site, very impressed (but I'm no expert. Just your average sword lover) with it aesthetically.

Since I'm not well versed in modern katana reproductions, having only handled the few I have owned, I'm starting to wonder if a small bit of saya rattle is the rule rather than the exception. Perhaps it is just a Hanwei thing?

If I understand correctly, a properly fitted korjiri lets the blade float free of the walls and edges of the saya. This being rarely the case, the saya may bind on a tight channel or rattle a little if there is room to breathe. If it is rattling just picking it up, chances are it is not very tight at the korjiri as well and the sword will fall out if up ended. Some expect the extremes and "gee, I had to shake it three times before the blade would fall out when I hold it upside down".

If it rattles when shaken; why are you shaking it? :)

Some stuff things down there to prevent the point from moving in the saya, thus muffling any rattle.

Cheers

GC

apidxt.jpg

21lv5ls.jpg

xcvcx4.jpg

25zgndk.jpg

zkliwx.jpg

I am sure this post is so old it expired years ago, but for my two cents- I currently own a Bugei Samurai Katana and bought it 2nd hand off of Kult or Athena. I got it about half the Bugei price. It is a great blade. I am not so fond of the seudo Japanese style fittings- they appear more Chinese influence than does the DF models I have handled and seen at a local dealership. That said the balance of the Samurai is far better than I had expected, it is, to my hand only slightly heavier than my Japanese made iaito but very similar in hand as well. I would love that Peace sword though! That is actually starting to look Nihonto-ish IMO.

Back