Bugout 535 blue to black scales RIT dye ?

Jpd0144

Gold Member
I tried using the search feature and found nothing. Ive had great success with FRN against wear and color fade. Wondering how the Grivory would fair with black RIT ?
Any experiences ? I know its the cheesy way out of purchasing new custom scales ... I just cant stand the blue at the moment ! Thanks in advance !

If I were you, I'd try something stronger, like iDye's product made specifically for Polymer. I used it and was able to turn the scales on my pink project Ontario Rat 2 to an awesome Red color.

RIT dye makes some specifically for Synthetics.

I have used both original and the synthetic versions on grivory with good success.

Check out MT&E for more information on RIT dye.

Well ... I have the dye ... I have had plenty of time to do it ... but the more I carry this thing blue the harder its getting to actually do it !
It now has me on the fence. Stay blue one day and I wake the next saying today is the day I'm going to dye it. My wife is so tired of hearing me ramble about it she suggested for me to buy another and dye one and keep the other blue ! LoL

IDK ... I'll post up again if I actually do it.

Any chance someone has done this already and can post a pic ? Would really be appreciated !

Jeff

Well ... I have the dye ... I have had plenty of time to do it ... but the more I carry this thing blue the harder its getting to actually do it !
It now has me on the fence. Stay blue one day and I wake the next saying today is the day I'm going to dye it. My wife is so tired of hearing me ramble about it she suggested for me to buy another and dye one and keep the other blue ! LoL

IDK ... I'll post up again if I actually do it.

Any chance someone has done this already and can post a pic ? Would really be appreciated !

Jeff

So wait, let me get this straight; your wife suggested that you buy another knife, and you passed at the opportunity??? :confused: o_O

That’s it, turn in your Knife Knut card!!! :p

I tried using the search feature and found nothing. Ive had great success with FRN against wear and color fade. Wondering how the Grivory would fair with black RIT ?
Any experiences ? I know its the cheesy way out of purchasing new custom scales ... I just cant stand the blue at the moment ! Thanks in advance !
I tried the regular black RIT dye with my 535. Didn't do anything to it.

After 2 hours in the dye at a low simmer.

I have dyed quite a few knives for people and myself. A few tips start with liquid rit dye, do not add water use vinager (1/2cup) in its place the acidic properties help penatrate the material. If you want black you may have to add dark green to the black mix. I always add a table spoon of salt just seems to set the dye better. If any one is doing a color other than black you will want to shoot for several shades lighter than the shade you want by mixing custom colors you can always add a bit more of one color to darken it you can't go lighter after going to dark. Also you can't change the color of dark material such as black to blue it won't happen. Here are some Northforks in g-10.
H9xbnHe.jpg

I have dyed quite a few knives for people and myself. A few tips start with liquid rit dye, do not add water use vinager (1/2cup) in its place the acidic properties help penatrate the material. If you want black you may have to add dark green to the black mix. I always add a table spoon of salt just seems to set the dye better. If any one is doing a color other than black you will want to shoot for several shades lighter than the shade you want by mixing custom colors you can always add a bit more of one color to darken it you can't go lighter after going to dark. Also you can't change the color of dark material such as black to blue it won't happen. Here are some Northforks in g-10.
H9xbnHe.jpg

Do you use a specific kind of RIT dye other than just liquid? Do they make any liquid for polymers?

The only two liquid rit dyes I have come across is regular and one for synthetic fabric. I saw no difference from either one in the applications I have done. Here is one from the other rit dye for sythetic fabric.
R5k0ScX.jpg
How long do you leave it in the dye?

To each their own but I'm not feeling that doo doo brown at all..... They should have left it as is.
I wouldn't call it doo doo brown. Its a little lighter than the black wallet but I bet it wouldn't look like that if it wasn't next to the wallet.

Thank you blade man and Codswallop for yall's time to reply and post up pics/info. I just need to make up my mind blue or black now. I started out not digging the blue and while carrying it more and more it has slightly grown on me ... what to do !? ... what to do !? lol

Aside from the color ... This thing has not left my pocket since it came in. BM did really good with this one imo !

To each their own but I'm not feeling that doo doo brown at all..... They should have left it as is.

Oh, the brown isn't my favorite, but the black thumbstud to match the hardware, and a darker handle? Oh yeah. Imagine a Bugout in the REI 531 color scheme.

That's.....that's going to happen. DOAT is working on scales for the Bugout, I'm excited to see color options for these.

You can’t back out now op, we need to see how this go’s down.

Well it rained all day yesterday and last night. So I was stuck in the house for the most part. Decided to make use of the time.
I’m very please with the results. It came out a true deep rich black.

Ran the scales through my ultrasonic cleaner with dawn and heat on low to strip oils.

1/3 original Rit liquid black dye
2/3 vinegar
1 table spoon of salt
Cap full of dawn

Decent simmer for 30 min. Pull scales let them cool in the sink. Rinse under cold water. Drop them back in and bring back to simmer for 30 min.
Kill the heat and leave scales in the pot over night to cool on its own for 9/10 hrs.
Pull scales and rinse with warm water.
I’ve used this recipe on Spyderco FRN as well with great results. My delica has some scratches and has been dropped a few times with no grey (original color) showing through. No pocket wear through dye either. Hope this holds up as well. I’ll update in time.

Excuse the grammar as I’m doing this on my ph. and in a rush at the moment. Although being a Louisiana coonass doesn't help much with that either ! LoL !

Let me know what you guys think ...

ac1aea3b4428c05557b7df147b1d3bb3.jpg
e5cd6f191e5f0112064dde819750feb2.jpg
c3476cdf5089e943b747ec8e25e9c357.jpg
11879ecb258d3a929867030ed2040da1.jpg
f81fcfc6d2827523e01e535e8ca8e87a.jpg

Last edited:
Back