Bugout 535 blue to black scales RIT dye ?

Well it rained all day yesterday and last night. So I was stuck in the house for the most part. Decided to make use of the time.
I’m very please with the results.
Let me know what you guys think ...

ac1aea3b4428c05557b7df147b1d3bb3.jpg
e5cd6f191e5f0112064dde819750feb2.jpg
c3476cdf5089e943b747ec8e25e9c357.jpg
11879ecb258d3a929867030ed2040da1.jpg
f81fcfc6d2827523e01e535e8ca8e87a.jpg
Excellent job and it looks great!

Was it easy to put back together?

Thank you SharpieB.

Just updated post with recipe.

To be honest I found it easier than my mini grips to put back together for some reason. Especially when placing blade/washers back in.
I put all the screws in place and only ran them down half way to allow sides/liners to move apart while sliding blade/washers in.
Then I tightened the pivot and the 2 in the stop pin above it somewhat while watching centering. Then I moved down the knife to the next screws (liner end ones) then towards clip end tightening them evenly and keeping an eye on centering till done. Gave a quick check of all screws for tightness.

I love the black scales with blue accents. I would change the stud to silver to complete the look. Well done!

Thank you SharpieB.

Just updated post with recipe.

To be honest I found it easier than my mini grips to put back together for some reason. Especially when placing blade/washers back in.
I put all the screws in place and only ran them down half way to allow sides/liners to move apart while sliding blade/washers in.
Then I tightened the pivot and the 2 in the stop pin above it somewhat while watching centering. Then I moved down the knife to the next screws (liner end ones) then towards clip end tightening them evenly and keeping an eye on centering till done. Gave a quick check of all screws for tightness.
Very cool.

So no dye coming off on your hands or pocket?

Not at all. My Delica has been done for probably 6 months now. With no rubbing off. The concern I had was with the grivory. I wasn’t sure if it would act the same as FRN. After much research and doing these today I feel good it wil last. Seems to take the heat and dye the same.
Of course if you gouge it I’m sure the blue will show. However dye is cheap ... or I’ll just name it hematoma and love the wear marks ! LoL

Two quick questions:

1. Why the cap full of Dawn?
2. Might the salt residue cause any issue with metal parts, after reassembly?

It looks great!

Thanks !

In case there’s any oil left in the grivory when it’s simmered the dawn will push it to the surface and to sides of the pot.
Learned this from using my ultrasonic cleaner and cleaning reel parts. Tip was passed along from a tackle forum.

The salt residue should be washed away with the after rinse and wipe down. Also I wipe down scales with BM blue lube oil and wipe away all exces before reassembly. I feel it penetrates the pores of grivory/FRN and should protect from any corrosion.

My delica has been washed, submerged, and rained on while fishing (fresh water)
with no corrosion after the dye process.
However I do maintain it and relube as needed.

Awesome! Thanks for the recipe. When I tried with a bottle of black liquid, a quart of water, and a cup of vinegar, it didn't do squat to them. I will try it with straight vinegar this week to see how it works.

Awesome! Thanks for the recipe. When I tried with a bottle of black liquid, a quart of water, and a cup of vinegar, it didn't do squat to them. I will try it with straight vinegar this week to see how it works.

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback !

Don’t forget to prep clean and degrease throughly ! I don’t even touch them with my hands after they are cleaned. I tend to think that has a lot to do with how well they take up the dye.
Good luck and post your results please.
Also don’t forget over night cool down and soak !

I have read where others have said it works as well as the liquid. I just have not personally used it.

jpd0144
You mentioned cleaning the scales using an ultrasonic cleaner and dish soap with the heat on low. Could you please elaborate? I have an ultrasonic cleaner that has a time setting, but no temperature setting, so I am not sure how to interpret your reference to low heat. Also, can you share the ratio of dish soap to water that you used in the ultrasonic cleaner?
Thanks
Rummels

jpd0144
You mentioned cleaning the scales using an ultrasonic cleaner and dish soap with the heat on low. Could you please elaborate? I have an ultrasonic cleaner that has a time setting, but no temperature setting, so I am not sure how to interpret your reference to low heat. Also, can you share the ratio of dish soap to water that you used in the ultrasonic cleaner?
Thanks
Rummels

To be honest I used the same ratio I use to clean my reel parts in. 1/2 water 1/2 simple green. As for the dawn on that step I just grab the bottle and squeeze giving it appx 2 good heavy spirals lol.
I make sure its enough dawn to surface and move grease to the sides with all the oil and grease associated with the reel parts.
My US cleaner has a timer setting and also a heat feature. If I leave the heater on too long I can actually get the steam to start coming off the top of the solution and almost too hot to stick my hands in. At that point I raise the basket fairly quick or use plastic salad tongs.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

I would love to know what the hell is an ultrasonic cleaner.
Haha.id prepare to buy aftermarket scales now .lol

Back