Building a Survival Sheath (WIP)

Last night, I folded up two 12"x12" squares of heavy duty aluminum foil to put it the bottom of the tin. Also planning to put everything in the tin in a snack size Ziplock bag - a little extra water proofing and another container if needed.

Watching flea bay for a lightly used Victorinox Outrider to use as a backup blade and add several tools to the kit.

Also, I was looking over the list again last night and had a bit of a revelation: paracord, whistle, button compass, ranger bands - I can get all that on a paracord bracelet that would clip to the dangler until I needed to carry the kit at which point it would move to my wrist! I've even seen where some people have woven a small fishing kit into a cobra weave. This inspiration came in combination from a YouTube video I saw and my participation in Ethan Becker's Inner Tube Extravaganza Challenge. Trying to decide if I should build on this one or start from scratch and weave my own:

Sweet. Can't wait to see your final setup once it's complete. Although you have the Victorinox now, I have a distinct feeling you're also going to try and implement a 11/14/24 on there somewhere :D it's in your nature. In your veins. You are, after all, a Beckerhead.. :D:D:D

Sweet. Can't wait to see your final setup once it's complete. Although you have the Victorinox now, I have a distinct feeling you're also going to try and implement a 11/14/24 on there somewhere :D it's in your nature. In your veins. You are, after all, a Beckerhead.. :D:D:D

I know, I know....it probably is somewhat inevitable and I should just embrace it. [emoji3]

About three feet of hi viz orange duct tape wrapped around part of an old name badge from work. Did it on a break so going in the kit when I get home!

Last edited:
Added 4 black zip ties and a mini Bic lighter to the tin tonight. Went with a lighter color on the casing so I can see how much fuel is in it when held against a light. I'm assuming everyone knows what these look like so not posting pics. [emoji3] Right now it's all just thrown in the tin, but will have to start organizing things soon.

I also added a Nite Ize DoohicKey in the molle straps last week. Pulled it off my keychain. Thought it might make a good striker for the Exotac. Tested it tonight and it worked OK but not great. Then I remembered that when David from Ultimate Survival Tips on YouTube did a review on the BK2, he used the choil to strike a ferro rod. Pulled out the Campanion and was sold from the first strike!

So, the Outrider came today. This baby is BEEFY. Getting it worked into my kit might be a challenge - will have to see when I get home. Either way, I think there's a place for this in my collection.

I know, BeeKay, I know - just get my 14 rigged up on it. [emoji3] May be time to really start looking at that...

So, the Outrider came today. This baby is BEEFY. Getting it worked into my kit might be a challenge - will have to see when I get home. Either way, I think there's a place for this in my collection.

I know, BeeKay, I know - just get my 14 rigged up on it. [emoji3] May be time to really start looking at that...

That will be a great addition though Semper. Maybe you could slide into the side under the elastic strap on the ESEE pouch. Make a keeper for it like you see done with fire steels. You could add a length of shock cord tied to the ring loop on the end of the Vic, slide her through the elastic strap then loop the cord over the end. Would add some nifty little tools to the kit. I love my Vic.

As for the small becker, see if you can pick up one of those new sheaths for it. The ones with the little locking mechanism. The old glass reinforced ones ruin the blade. Trust me, I know. They're effed in A.

Can't wait to see this rig finished!

So, ladies and gentlemen, what say you? Is this workable?

Looks good to me.
However, can this fire steel or Victorinox be at the other side (right side according to this picture) of the sheath?
Or it's comfy enough to reach both of them?

Looks good to me.
However, can this fire steel or Victorinox be at the other side (right side according to this picture) of the sheath?
Or it's comfy enough to reach both of them?
That's a good question, Endel. I haven't tried the rig on my belt yet with the Vic on it to test that. Should look at that this weekend maybe.

That's a good question, Endel. I haven't tried the rig on my belt yet with the Vic on it to test that. Should look at that this weekend maybe.
Tried this last night - there's no issue getting to the FireROD or the Outrider in the current configuration. Both can be easily accessed and drawn.

Resheathing the Vic is a different story. It's so hefty that it really takes two hands to get it back through the elastic molle strap on the ESEE pouch. That may get better over time as the elastic breaks in so we'll see.

Added a couple of coffee filters last night and started trying to organize things in the tin.

Last edited:
Brother Semper as you know I've been following this pretty keenly. I love this sort of stuff. Yeah modding knives is über cool but the cut of my jib is self contained kits like this. I'm loving what you've made here. It's something everyone is capable of doing (or designing) but few take into consideration. Your rig is doin it for me bud. As for the latest annotation? Love it. It's exactly what I thought when you mentioned the Vic. I gave you a bit of heat about hanging a small Becker off it but what you've got here is entirely sufficient for all tasks and IMHO doesn't need another piece of hardware and to add more, dare I say it, could be overkill (haha, overkill. Is there any such thing!?). We've all seen the debate about the capabilites of the 2 (or lack thereof so to speak) and everyone has their own opinions on the matter but to me those two tools will accomplish pretty much any task I can think of. So, what is my retardulous rambling leading to? Bravo, Mr. On Guard. Bravo..

Last edited:
Brother Semper as you know I've been following this pretty keenly. I love this sort of stuff. Yeah modding knives is über cool but the cut of my jib is self contained kits like this. I'm loving what you've made here. It's something everyone is capable of doing (or designing) but few take into consideration. Your rig is doin it for me bud. As for the latest annotation? Love it. It's exactly what I thought when you mentioned the Vic. I gave you a bit of heat about hanging a small Becker off it but what you've got here is entirely sufficient for all tasks and IMHO doesn't need another piece of hardware and to add more, dare I say it, could be overkill (haha, overkill. Is there any such thing!?). We've all seen the debate about the capabilites of the 2 (or lack thereof so to speak) and everyone has their own opinions on the matter but to me those two tools will accomplish pretty much any task I can think of. So, what is my retardulous rambling leading to? Bravo, Mr. On Guard. Bravo..
Thanks for your kind encouragement, brother. This has been a fun project to plan and execute. I think I'm like you in that these kits are going to be more my thing than extensive modding of my blades. I appreciate your feedback in the process.

I think I'm going to come close to being able to get everything on the list incorporated in one way or another. Once the load out is finished, there will be a final pic. Have to take a break this week while traveling for work. Hoping to wrap up the whole project by mid-August.

Late to the party but your survival pouch looks pretty sweet, Semper!

Curious: How much does the whole set up, including primary blade, weigh?

Late to the party but your survival pouch looks pretty sweet, Semper!

Curious: How much does the whole set up, including primary blade, weigh?
Not sure, haven't weighed it yet. Primary blade alone is a pound. Once the loadout is done, I'll try to remember to get it on a scale.

Back