Building a Survival Sheath (WIP)

Wrapped about 20' of 50-lb fishing line into a "hank" using a piece of inner tube from the recent challenge Mr. Becker did in the BK&T subforum. Threaded the zip ties into it as well to keep them better contained in the tin.

If I'm going to get the emergency blanket incorporated, I think I'm going to need to get some new hardware for the rig - longer screws and metal spacers for between the sheath and the pouch mounting plate and slide it in there.

Work's been busy, so the final stages have been moving slowly...

Stopped by a hardware store to get some longer screws so I could squeeze an emergency blanket between the ESEE pouch plate and the sheath.

The rubber spacers came with my Alien Gear holster that I bought a few months ago. The curvature of sheath keeps the blanket securely in place.

Last edited:
Stuffed the handle of my firesteel with tinder. It's a blend of dryer lint and tiny pieces of bicycle inner tube. The lint takes a spark from the firesteel very well and lights the inner tube which increases the burn time.

Sweet progress bruz. You're coming up with some flash ideas and getting A LOT packed into a tiny space. Awesome work. Soon you'll be able to head off into the wilderness wearing ONLY a belt and your rig and surthrive for the next decade.

So, how low and well does it dangle? Hmmm, let's try that again. Does it feel good dangling on your thigh? Nope, still sounds rude. Does your rig sit comfortably at your side when you walk? Yes. Much better. Seriously though, I've got a dangler setup for my 7 piggy backing a 14 and it sits marvelously. I thought I'd need leg straps to keep it in place but it really doesn't. Just wondering how yours goes..

Last edited:
Does your rig sit comfortably at your side when you walk?

Yes it does. I will probably still run a length of paracord through the eyelets at the bottom of the sheath to secure it to my thigh, but not certain it would be absolutely necessary to do so.

Space in the tin is starting to get tight. I may have to start picking and choosing what goes in. Also, I need to stop thinking of things I want to add (e.g., a sawed off Allen key that fits the bolts on the handle scales in case I need to take them off - hmmm....wonder what I could store IN the handle....I think I have a problem....).

Once you wear it a bit you may find you really don't need para or a strap. I thought I would but I wore mine for like 10 mins in the yard and I very nearly forgot it was there. Hung perfectly.

As for the under handle space, may I suggest fill it with PJ cotton balls. Won't corrode your steel and you can never have enough tinder. Especially water resistant tinder..

I've been busy on the big river tonight. En route over the next couple of weeks (getting free shipping means being patient):
1) Nite Ize carabiner light
2) Needle kit that includes a sail needle
3) Well-reviewed button compass (x4)
4) Coleman FAK that comes in a fantastic tin from which I can raid contents for basic first aid supplies in my ESEE tin

As for the under handle space, may I suggest fill it with PJ cotton balls. Won't corrode your steel and you can never have enough tinder. Especially water resistant tinder..

Good idea - then I could put the water purification tablets in the firesteel handle. Biggest hesitation is how tough that makes it to get to the tinder. But definitely something to consider!

This is my day hike set-up. Spec-ops modular sheath for my SRK with a surplus molle pouch filled with SAK, mini LED maglite, ferro starter, and container of Vaseline infused cotton balls. Paracord wrapped around the sheath for additional need.

I love the idea of purification tablets, thanks for the that!

e98fd012bf8bd6c5a7faa5ef0fbc56d2.jpg

c2d38756256da43f1e42574af79222e6.jpg

This is my day hike set-up. Spec-ops modular sheath for my SRK with a surplus molle pouch filled with SAK, mini LED maglite, ferro starter, and container of Vaseline infused cotton balls. Paracord wrapped around the sheath for additional need.

I love the idea of purification tablets, thanks for the that!

e98fd012bf8bd6c5a7faa5ef0fbc56d2.jpg

c2d38756256da43f1e42574af79222e6.jpg
Nice setup. Which SAK is that?

So, I wanted a candle for this kit. I couldn't find any birthday candles around the house (probably packed in a box from our last move) and didn't want to buy a whole pack just for one. Well, we celebrated a birthday at the office today, so I raided a candle from the cake when we were done!

Also received notices that my carabiner light and needles shipped today. Getting close to completion! (yeah, right....I'm sure this will be one of those projects that gets tinkered with for months).

MAIL CALL!!!

A couple pieces of gear I recently ordered arrived today! I'll be raiding some of the supplies out of this Coleman All Purpose FAK to have a few (very) basic first aid supplies.

Also received these four button compasses from Type III products that have loops on the back to run them onto a paracord bracelet. The loops are too small for the one I currently have clipped to the dangler, so I may need to weave a different one. Good news is that they all point basically the same direction and it's north! (you just never know with these button compasses, but these seem accurate enough to use in a pinch)

Light and needle still on the way - hoping to pick up some water purification tablets this weekend at the Army/Navy store and raid some safety pins from my wife's sewing supplies. This is getting close!

EDIT: also still need to sand/polish the bottom of the tin for use as a reflector. Will probably hold off and add cash to it later, but thinking probably $40 in 10's.

Last edited:
Sweet haul SP! That FAK? Keep it untouched in your pocket or with your main kit perhaps in another small MOLLE pouch on your belt/pack etc. Keeps FAKit whole and frees up space in your other tin.. Button compasses. Awesome. You have too many though. Send three to me, I'll dispose of them ecologically for you.. :D As for the money? I think it's a great idea. Once you've made it out of the bush to a road/civilization, you'll still need to find a way home/communicate with more help. Great idea. In the worst of situations though it can act as tinder (no, I'm not kidding. Was taught that by a survival instructor)..

Sweet haul SP! That FAK? Keep it untouched in your pocket or with your main kit perhaps in another small MOLLE pouch on your belt/pack etc. Keeps FAKit whole and frees up space in your other tin.. Button compasses. Awesome. You have too many though. Send three to me, I'll dispose of them ecologically for you.. :D As for the money? I think it's a great idea. Once you've made it out of the bush to a road/civilization, you'll still need to find a way home/communicate with more help. Great idea. In the worst of situations though it can act as tinder (no, I'm not kidding. Was taught that by a survival instructor)..

That's a good idea on the FAK. Keep it clipped to the dangler until it's time to go, them move it to my belt. I'll have to find (another) a pouch for it.

I'd never thought about the money as tinder but definitely useful in a pinch!

Canadian money no longer works for tinder :( they changed from paper to a new synthetic to make the bills last longer. Its pretty much just plastic now.

Back