Burial Knife

As long as I’m not wearing a tie. I’ll be happy. Lol!

Humor aside.

My religious beliefs tell me I won’t need anything in the after life. So if I make requests for earthly possessions in my casket. It would be sending a message to my loved ones that I’m not solid in my faith. Possibly cause them to question theirs. That’s not the message I want to leave.

I’m going to leave this world with a smile on my face. What they do with my body after doesn’t concern me.

Last edited:
And I'll probably donate my body to a science lab, too. It'll give those med students something to practice on.

Zieg

That right there is a great thing. When my daughter was going through her Physical Therapist program, her first summer was spent in a lab with someone that had done what you are suggesting. At the end of their summer and they were all finished with the process, she was introduced to the person and some of their personal story. You (as did I) should write a story of your medical history including all the stories of how/what you were doing to get any scars on your body. I might suggest that you do it now so your family isn't stressed to do it later for you.

I have an old 80s scout/camp knife by Case. Nothing special so they could bury it with me and not put a valuable knife in the ground with me. Besides nobody’s gonna miss a $50 Case.

Yea i dont believe you are taking anything with you( thats my opinion) just when this civilization is unearthed the new inhabitants of the earth will have some clues as to what kind of people we were. My Dad was shown in his Air Force uniform (yes a dang tie) because serving his country was the 2nd most important thing to him in his life. Being the best man in Gods eyes was the first.

Being cremated (cemeteries and golf courses are the biggest waste of land), or science if they want me. If I was going in the ground why would a want a gorgeous knife to rust and rot away with a pile of bones and dust. I think it b better served as a treasure for family or a means for making a few bucks.

I plan to pass mine down to my children. Hopefully they will continue to pass them down to theirs, and so on... I think it's a legacy to leave a knife behind with the stories of whom it belonged to.

My dad always carried a pocket knife, a little Utica pen knife. When he died I got his pocket knife, it's a nice memento. Before dad was buried I asked the funeral director to slip the knife I had carried for years, a Buck 503, into his pocket. Just a silly little sentimental jesture, but I got a lot of joy out of it.

Seems like a waste of a nice knife to me. Not sure how much room is in one of those jars anyway.

Nope. I'm leaving everything behind. I'll probably give all but two or three of my knives away over the next twenty years, too. Or I might sell them and spend the money on fun things to do with family and friends. Or donate the money to my favorite causes. Same with my firearms and motorcycle and extra fishing tackle, and so on. By the time I hit 70, I won't be doing anything besides travelling, working horses, and ballroom dancing (which is about all I do now, anyway!)

And I'll probably donate my body to a science lab, too. It'll give those med students something to practice on.

Zieg

I agree. Body goes to science, give away or sell the knives if I am lucky enough to have a slow decline.

Those of you with plans, that's great, but those left behind might disagree. Some peopl's ashes wind up in a paper box in the closet and the "burial policy money" is used for Junior's new truck :) Best thing a collector can do is sell or give away their knives to friends or other collectors.

I like the way you think Brownshoe! Just let me know when you need my address and i’ll send you a PM? That goes for all of you!
Only too happy to help. :D

Not once. Don't bury me with anything useful. Harvest all of my useable organs and toss the rest someplace to be bacterial fodder to perpetuate our carbon cycle. Give my knives to my loved ones or sell them all off and give them cash.

Knowing this area of the country and its casket accessorizing, when I die, they’ll probably put at least one in, at least in my suit jacket pocket. Maybe an edc 110, but likely the 110 they think is nicest, or the CS 110 my daughter got me for Christmas.
If I got off’t today it would be:

Current edc

My beautiful daughters gift

The one I think they’d find prettiest

The Good Book is another story. But in the earthly realm, no Buck knife destroyed, but me, into the fire, into the creek, into the lake, into the river, into the biggest river and into the ocean. You never know one of you may drink some atom of me. Except you mountain top people. But then again there's still hope with a hurricane. 300

As a former funeral director, I saw all kinds of mementos left in caskets. A six pack of Dr. Pepper, favorite paperback books, you name it. Others, nothing at all. Every family is different. Some friends and family wanted to personally place the items in the casket, others asked staff to do it on their behalf.

One memory stands out as it relates to our thread. An elderly gentleman passed away. As folks paid their respects throughout the day, small items were left in his casket. A flag pin added to his suit lapel. A note from a grandchild. Small but important keepsakes.

On one of my regular visits to the viewing room, I saw a bit of silver metal in the gent's left breast suit pocket. I didn't remember anything being in that pocket earlier. I looked closer...a pocket knife. A Buck 303. I smiled, nodded, and placed it back in his pocket.

When I die, I'm going to be cremated. Exception: if I have the capacity and time to plan it, and if there is an apprentice embalmer around, the greenest rookie in the book, then I'll let him/her embalm me. If not, cremation it is. I've got several Buck folders and one of them will go in the urn with my cremains. I'm leaning towards the 307....

Last edited:
So cool to see all the ideas. Traditions old and new or not at all. We humans are funny that way. Like i said there is no wrong answer.

Back