Bushcamp and 'Merican Puukko Pass-around Signup

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Sorry for getting this out so late, the day job has been crazy with the quarantine efforts.

Anyway, I have two bushcraft focused models that should be finished up around May 17. I'm going to leave signup open until they start heading out to people but even then, let me know after and I'll consider putting you on the list.

Signup open until 5/1/20
Knives expected to ship to 1st participant around 5/11/20

The bushcamp bushcraft/camp knife takes heavy cues from the Marbles woodcraft knife with the trailing point, reinforced tip with the elevated spine that also serves as a finger rest and fairly neutral handle design. It has some significant differences like the scandivex grind (other grinds would be available by special order), much longer and larger handle, and the elevated spine is shorter so it is more for bracing a forefinger than a thumb.

Because of the extra belly and trailing point, the bushcamp will excel at the camping task and be easier to use as a camp kitchen knife. There is still a considerable amount of flat area near the heel to allow good space for rough carving and bushcraft duties.

Rough specs (give or take because it's handmade):
1/8" thick O1 tool steel
4.25" blade
4.5" handle
0.8" handle thickness
Black canvas micarta handle
scandivex grind

ObK3G1Vl.jpg

rH4dUjNl.jpg

The 'Merican Puukko is an interpretation of the classic Mora and puukko design with an American influence like the clip point and full tang design. The blade is thin and narrow in width so that it will be very agile in hand and great for carving in tight spaces. The handle will have some updated shaping compared to the classic mora to increase comfort and security without sacrificing the advantage a guardless design has for getting in close for detailed work.

The knife will also be very nice to carry because of the straight, sleek design. It should function well for bushcraft, cooking, and reasonably well for fishing tasks, though not as well as a fillet knife or similar designs with a thinner grind. This is still a bushcraft knife at heart and it will excel at carving while being able to handle most tasks you're willing to throw at it up to trying to baton through big pieces of wood. John's O1 heat treat will still make it quite tough, tougher than a mora, but it's still a small piece of steel compared to larger camp knives.

Rough specs (give or take because it's handmade):
3/32" thick O1 tool steel
4.5" blade
4.5" handle
0.75" handle thickness (varies more than other specs because of wood scales)
Paduk handle (looking at olive wood for a final option, but they were out of stock)
scandivex grind

QUgWiAel.jpg

This video shows the handle profile with the "side guard/scallops" feature adds security and comfort over the classic puukko and mora designs.
https://i.imgur.com/JTvLMdPl.mp4

Last edited:
Conditions: Each person will get the knives they wish to test for at least 2 weeks unless I get a lot of people signing up. Heavy batoning is not acceptable but being reasonable with some wood processing is okay. A general rule of thumb, use it like it was yours knowing that you plan to pass it on to someone else. Sharpen and maintain if you can, otherwise send it to me and I'll forward it to the next person in line after maintenance.

John's HT is pretty tough so I don't foresee damage on these but if you do, send it back to me so I can correct and continue the passaround. Or, contact me about it before correcting it. Edge rolling and very small chips, while pretty unlikely, I will not consider excessive damage but please let me know what you did to make it occur.

NO TIP strength tests. Broken tips from abuse puts you on my shit list. These are thin knives, not pry bars. Treat them as such.

I'm generally pretty forgiving and will give you the benefit of the doubt, but obvious bad decisions will not be treated well.

The exception to the above statements, if you want to do abusive testing, message me and I will consider putting you at the end of the list so if something were to happen it will have less impact on those following in the test. You will need to tell me what you plan to do that is abusive for approval so I'm not surprised if it breaks and so I can judge if I think it's too risky. Again, John's HT on his O1 is tough but sensibility needs to prevail as well.

This is currently limited to the US participants but I may be able to send it out after the passaround for foreign BF members interested in trying out the designs.

My expectations: You tell me what you liked, didn't like, comments, suggestions, and similar things that allow me to fine-tune the design or gauge how much y'all like or dislike the knives. I do not expect a huge review, but I would appreciate if you're willing. My expectation for the passaround process is to get this feedback while also getting the design into people's hands before the product launch to help potential customers decide if they want to buy it when that time comes, at limited cost (shipping to next person in line).

Feedback can be sent to me directly or posted publicly in this thread.

I will not discourage honest, negative feedback posted here but I do want to be notified first so I'm not blindsided by a bad review.

Lastly, you must be willing to pay shipping back to me or to the next person in line. I will provide information for getting the knives to the next people in line when I get the list.

Note: the bushcamp design will be pretty durable so more batoning will be allowed with it than my other passarounds.

Both designs appear very practical to me. When do you anticipate having the Puukko in hand? I think the biggest obstacle for it will be convincing bushcraft people that it's worth the extra vs something like a Garberg or Terava Jaakaripuukko . I agree with how tough John's O1 is and can't imagine either blade failing under normal use.

I belive John is starting to work on them next week.

And I agree about mora probably being a key competitor, along with the LT kamrat and lagom which are also based on the mora classic.

I wouldn't mind getting in on that Puukko. The puukko that John made me is one of my favorites of his. The weather is getting nicer and I'm doing a lot more outdoor fires so I could definitely put both of those designs through their paces, they look good.

ETA: always looking for good camp kitchen sort of knives

I wouldn't mind getting in on that Puukko. The puukko that John made me is one of my favorites of his. The weather is getting nicer and I'm doing a lot more outdoor fires so I could definitely put both of those designs through their paces, they look good.

ETA: always looking for good camp kitchen sort of knives

I have you marked down for the 'Merican Puukko. Thank you for volunteering.

I'd be honored to try that knife out. I think it's absolutely awesome and love the name. Thanks for the opportunity. I will out ut to good use and service it before passing along.

Because of John's ankle injury, this passaround will be pushed out a little. I will update the dates when I know more and John's back at the bench. For now, praying for a good and speedy recovery for John.

Because of John's ankle injury, this passaround will be pushed out a little. I will update the dates when I know more and John's back at the bench. For now, praying for a good and speedy recovery for John.
Just an update. Blades were profiled out and heat treated before I got hurt. I’m hoping to be back in the shop by Monday to get back on them.

Prototypes are on their way! We should be on schedule to start the passaround 5/11/20 as I'll need to get some sheaths made and do some testing myself before passing them to testers.

Here are John's pictures from his "Almost ready to ship" thread.
dscn3437-jpg.1326260

dscn3438-jpg.1326261

I was told the pics I took from John's thread aren't showing on a few of mine based in how I copied them so here they are again.

Attachments

• IMG_20200421_123420_610.jpg
    IMG_20200421_123420_610.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN3437.JPG
    DSCN3437.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 16
These just showed up from JK Knives JK Knives today, I'll get pictures later. I just woke up and I'm heading out for a hike with the fam but I'm going to try and get something this evening before work. The 'Merican puukko handle worked out really well with the side dimples but both are pretty stellar.

As usual, John did a great job taking my ideas and templates and turning them into a finished knife.

b44ZxVfl.jpg

1FGZmeOl.jpg

U7NPxnEl.jpg

gXOP5TWl.jpg

tWhRKpDl.jpg

sNdSt71l.jpg

23KZNb9l.jpg

Last edited:
Back