Busse/kin help please

schmittie

Gold Member
Hi guys.

I've wanted a Busse or related family knife for a while. I had a Scrapyard Mud Puppy that I stupidly traded away years ago and have been kicking myself ever since.

Part of my problem though is identifying what I'm looking for. I'd like to pick up a user that's not too thick, something around 1/8" stock that's about 8 1/2" or less. I like the looks of the Hairy Carry, Syko 311 and Game Warden but was wondering what you could suggest. Please point me in the right direction. Pics would be great. Thanks for any help identifying different models!

Well if you are ok with 3/16" then Swamp Rat's rodent 3 or rodent 4 are both available new still, there are also a few 311s in the exchange I believe, either of them would be my suggestion.

Last edited:
Please check out the Busse Bad Mojo site. May help narrow your choices. Good luck, Jim...;-)

The Swamp Rats mentioned above are great blades and Available direct. If you check the exchange here there's a BGAD available I think one of those might fit your needs.
Good luck with your search :)

Id try to track down a .140 game warden, of the above mentioned blades, fairly slim, well designed and packs a punch. The HC is way heavier and got a pretty big choil. The 311 imo is a nice blade but the handle with its girth takes up a lot of estate.
The HC is made of 154cm which may or may not be to everyones liking, the 311 in SR 101 and obviously the GW being INFI

I carry my GW in a front pocket sheath by Paul Long, and I got another one in a dangler by Mark Condos

If you send me a PM with an your email address I could take some photos with a Mud puppy for reference tonight

Knut

8.5" or less. Is that the blade length or the whole knife?

There aren't many Bussekin at 0.125" or less thickness. The various Elmax blades are all (?) about 0.093" and are nice slicers with great edge holding. There were some Game Wardens in 0.14". The Boney Active Duty, BAD, might have been 0.125". Also the Anorexic BOSS Street, which could be had as Choilless, CABS; Small Choil, SCABS; or Large Choil, LCABS.

Possibly a hog muk. They made those anorexic also. Great blades and still the sharpest busse I've ever received from Busse

Hi guys.

I've wanted a Busse or related family knife for a while. I had a Scrapyard Mud Puppy that I stupidly traded away years ago and have been kicking myself ever since.

Part of my problem though is identifying what I'm looking for. I'd like to pick up a user that's not too thick, something around 1/8" stock that's about 8 1/2" or less. I like the looks of the Hairy Carry, Syko 311 and Game Warden but was wondering what you could suggest. Please point me in the right direction. Pics would be great. Thanks for any help identifying different models!
The Swamp Rat Ratmandu is still on sale. I bought one and love it. Great lines and a great price. Still have some options available too. Link provided. Again, I love mine. http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/available-now-ratmandu-cg/

Well if you are ok with 3/16" then Swamp Rat's rodent 3 or rodent 4 are both available new still, there are also a few 311s in the exchange I believe, either of them would be my suggestion.

Thanks. I do like both but just wish it was thinner stock.

Please check out the Busse Bad Mojo site. May help narrow your choices. Good luck, Jim...;-)

I'll check it out, thanks.

The Swamp Rats mentioned above are great blades and Available direct. If you check the exchange here there's a BGAD available I think one of those might fit your needs.
Good luck with your search :)

Thanks!

Id try to track down a .140 game warden, of the above mentioned blades, fairly slim, well designed and packs a punch. The HC is way heavier and got a pretty big choil. The 311 imo is a nice blade but the handle with its girth takes up a lot of estate.
The HC is made of 154cm which may or may not be to everyones liking, the 311 in SR 101 and obviously the GW being INFI

I carry my GW in a front pocket sheath by Paul Long, and I got another one in a dangler by Mark Condos

If you send me a PM with an your email address I could take some photos with a Mud puppy for reference tonight

Knut

Thanks for the offer. And I'll see if I can find what you mentioned.

8.5" or less. Is that the blade length or the whole knife?

There aren't many Bussekin at 0.125" or less thickness. The various Elmax blades are all (?) about 0.093" and are nice slicers with great edge holding. There were some Game Wardens in 0.14". The Boney Active Duty, BAD, might have been 0.125". Also the Anorexic BOSS Street, which could be had as Choilless, CABS; Small Choil, SCABS; or Large Choil, LCABS.

Correct, I meant overall length, not just the blade. I really find I just don't use a knife with a blade longer than 4" and have sold off the ones that sat around. And I'm beginning to agree with you. Thin Busse's seems to be rare. But I'll look around for an "anorexic" one. Lol! Love the name :)

My CABS are 0.143" and 0.146" at the ricasso.
Pete

Cool. I'll check it out.

Possibly a hog muk. They made those anorexic also. Great blades and still the sharpest busse I've ever received from Busse

Nice. I'll add it to the list.

The swamprat vex!

Cool pic!

And theres always the rodent solution.

True. But why is everything 3/16"? :)

The Swamp Rat Ratmandu is still on sale. I bought one and love it. Great lines and a great price. Still have some options available too. Link provided. Again, I love mine. http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/available-now-ratmandu-cg/

Neat blade. Thanks.

Which one is this? (Smaller of the two)

XIvajo3h.jpg

Is this a Rodent 3?

Last edited:
The small blade in top pic is a cutleous ( think I murdered the name a bit lol ) but I know I'm close.

Second pic is a custom modded SAR 4, mods done outside, Not Busse Custom shop.

If your looking for thin and like Elmax with Busse heat treat, check out Knife Hunter's website. He has/had some Elmax max duty and max wardens. Awesome guy to deal with.

Nice war dog darkaether. I continue to miss my chances getting one! Wish they'd release those again

I purchased a muk le and it probably has the best slicing geometey of any busse. The blade is about 1.5" or more wide and 0.14" thick. Most small knives are an inch wide so the muk le is actually thinner ground than a 1/8" one inch wide blade.

Last edited:
Back